Author Topic: Did I choose wisely? Two issues over a new USH "Compact" 20 guage...  (Read 756 times)

Offline zettler

• Trade Count: (0)
I bought the Ultra Slug Hunter in a 20 guage and didn't realize it was the "Compact (Youth)" model till I got home with it. I was just so thrilled to get a new in box slug gun for $180 that I simply did all the paperwork without even shouldering this one....yep, that's correct.

It didn't say anything on the shelf tag at Gander and I wanted to close the deal before they decided not to honor it - it was price matching at a $100 savings.

So I get home and after shouldering it I discover its smaller. Not a big issue as to mounting to shoulder as I simply put a slip-on pad that adds another inch or so.

However, the barrel is 2" shorter and I have to wonder if anyone has had experience with this model and its accuracy at 150+ yards????

Since I can't exchange it and have already got a regular size stock and forearm on order my next issue is a scope and rings.

At first I was going to go with a Nikon Pro Staff 3x9-40 but exchanged that for a Nikon Slughunter 3x9-40.  Did I choose wisely on the scope or should I exchange that one too???

Also, as I am ignorant when it comes to rings and there are limited stores around I would love to hear what rings you experts suggest??

I normally wear bifoculx but when I hunt I use a pair of single vision lenses

Offline zettler

Re: Did I choose wisely? Two issues over a new USH "Compact" 20 guage...
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 10:59:31 AM »
I am posting this from my DROID and cannot delete or correct the last sentence above. Sorry....

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2011, 11:14:02 AM »
There are a couple threads on rings and scopes right down the page, it's hard to go wrong with all steel rings,  Burris Zee rings are a great choice, probably high for hammer clearance if you don't shorten the hammer spur.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline no guns here

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2011, 11:17:53 AM »
Don't know why it would be any less accurate than the full length model.  I have two of the full size 20's.  Never shot them at that distance but I know they are both just fine at 75.  I wouldn't have any problem with cutting two inches off of one.

NGH
"I feared for my life!"

Offline zettler

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2011, 11:59:15 AM »
There are a couple threads on rings and scopes right down the page, it's hard to go wrong with all steel rings,  Burris Zee rings are a great choice, probably high for hammer clearance if you don't shorten the hammer spur.

Tim
Tim.

Do you have an opinion on the Nikon Slughunter?  I am trying to establish this as my last slug gun....

Thanks!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2011, 01:09:35 PM »
I think it's a good scope, I have three of the Nikon Omegas, one with the BDC reticle, which is on my  SS 45-70 Ultra Hunter, another with the Nikoplex reticle is on my 338 Win Mag Tikka T-3 Lite, the other is still in the box, neither has a lot of rounds thru them, but the 5" of eye relief is outstanding for heavy kickers, other than needing higher rings and/or hammer modification due to the power ring and ocular bell size, they seem to be a great scope, clear and bright and track good from what little I've worked with them.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2011, 01:57:55 PM »
Dont know why you would need to change the forestock unless you went with totally different wood, but they are inexpensive.
The barrel wont cause any accuracy issues being 2" shorter, and if you look around on both this and the rifles forum lots of guys like (and make) stubbies.
I dont much care for variables over a good fixed LOW power scope on something like this, and if you are at all like me you will probably end up leaving it on a low setting once youve used it a while. I suppose it might be nice on the range to crank up to see your group size, though, you know how hard it can be walking back and forth to check out one ragged hole groups  ;) .
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline spikehorn

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2011, 03:19:47 PM »
Once you find what it likes to shoot the shorter barrel should make no difference in accuracy. The shorter barrel will come in handi in the thick stuff. I like simmons Pro diamond master series 4X32 shot gun scopes and Tru glo 2X red dots.
308 win                 45-70                       12ga         
30-30                    223 stainless steel   20ga TDC
44 mag                  Tracker II 20ga        20ga
45-70 Manlicher     20ga USH                28ga
                                                              410ga