Author Topic: 40mm Bofors on eBay  (Read 1156 times)

Offline Mike H.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
40mm Bofors on eBay
« on: October 16, 2011, 03:24:16 AM »
There is a 1944 Bofors 40mm barrel on eBay right now listed as "Signal Cannon Barrel".  7' long. Likely will get pulled when eBay realizes what it is.

Is this being sold by anyone here?  How many cannons could be made from this tube?

Offline Cannon Cocker

• A Real Regular
Re: 40mm Bofors on eBay
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2011, 07:29:46 AM »
You could make 2 small rusty ones, or one long rusty one.  The barrel looks like it's pretty pitted.  There are barrels out there with perfect bores if you wanted to go this way.  Most guys go after this stuff for the accuracy you can get with a good 40mm.  It's a lot of work to make one of these into a working gun.  You would probably want to start with something worth the effort.

Offline strangefire

• Mule packing stuff
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 01:55:59 AM »
  I sold the barrel on ebay and just before I crated it. I cleaned the barrel and just like I figured the rifling looked good with out pitting. It was dirt casting a Shadow ......the winning bidder got a good deal.  I have 7 or 8 of these barrels buried deep inside my storage unit. My plans are to dig them out this week end and use a Snap-on bore sight tool with a camera to inspect the rifling/breech area and rate each barrel from good to bad and set a price accordingly. The barrel I sold on ebay was one of the best that I hand picked 15 or so years ago but I did not have a way to inspect the insides back then only with the naked eye. Out of all the barrels this was the least demilled that's why I picked it for my self as the best. The others have longer cuts in the muzzle (1 inch longer) and slightly deeper cuts on the breach face. The rifling is about the same as I recall but that was 15 years ago with-out a way to check deep into the barrel.  I will have more info with pictures/movies some time next week to post on this forum.

Offline smokemjoe

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 03:25:10 AM »
 Back in the 70s between  Amarrillo Tx.  and Pampa Tx. is a place called Pantex, There was a pile of those in a yard, and bigger bores, If anyone is in that area , why check them out and the town about there.

Offline little seacoast

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
  • Let them get just a little closer...
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 04:38:26 AM »
That's great, so much good stuff turning up lately is gonna make a poorer man out of me.  I will look forward to your pictures. Best, LS
America has no native criminal class except Congress.   Sam Clemens

Offline strangefire

• Mule packing stuff
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 02:17:59 AM »
I did make the trip to SLC this past weekend and only had time to pull out 2 barrels. The barrels were standing up with the breech end down and I attempted to pull one of the barrels out by hugging it with my arms and lifting it out, I had my camera in my breast pocket and when I lifted the barrel up I cracked the view screen of the camera and now the the view screen is a blank white. even tho it still can take good pictures I can not see what I'm aiming at so it's time to buy another camera which I plan on doing tomorrow. This week end I will take pictures and videos of the breech and rifling.
     This picture was taken with the damaged camera just this morning. Both barrels were made in 1943, one by Chrysler and one made by York Safe and Lock CO.

Offline strangefire

• Mule packing stuff
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2011, 01:25:06 AM »
Some interesting facts about the York Safe and Lock Co. Bofors barrel. The Barrel also has the Navy seal stamped next to the York Safe and Lock Co. stamp

http://www.yorkblog.com/yorktownsquare/2007/02/14/post-22/

Offline strangefire

• Mule packing stuff
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2011, 04:37:24 PM »
Here it is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ga3evoNZNYU

MOD NOTE: Links to live EBay auction of a 40mm bofors signal cannon barrel removed---live auction links prohibited on GBO.

Offline strangefire

• Mule packing stuff
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2012, 06:59:43 PM »
Bofors barrel # 2 was just sold for $1500.00 I will offer barrel #3 for the same price. This next barrel was made by Chrysler in 1944 and has the Navy insignia/stamp mark on the breech face. I will post pictures and a video soon