Author Topic: Dilemma  (Read 875 times)

Offline pacecars

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
Dilemma
« on: January 10, 2004, 06:11:06 AM »
OK, here is my problem: Do I get a new Taurus .41 Mag Tracker or a new EAA Witness 10mm? I have had both calibers before but find myself without either at the moment. I will use either one as an all around gun for hunting and defense if needed. I live in Florida and our deer are small so both have adequate power. I can get either for the same price so which should I pick?

Offline Castaway

• Trade Count: (0)
Dilemma
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2004, 08:43:22 AM »
You posted the equivalent of a Ford vs. Chevy or Winchester vs. Marlin argument.  If you are talking self defense as in a carry gun, neither fits the bill as far as I'm concerned.  Both are too large to tuck away.  Living in FL myself, my rule of thumb is to carry the largest caliber the clothing allows.  Most times it's smaller than what I'd want to carry.  Fanny packs scream,"I'm toting a bullet launcher with me."  If you mean house protection I'd take the auto loader hands down, but a shotgun is much better.  A pump shotgun has an auditory advantage when you consider the sound of a shell being cycled.  It should momentarily sober up even the most derranged intruder.  As far as hunting, the 41 has the advantage.  A little faster, but that in itself is not so significant if within pistol range, but the advantage goes with a longer sight radius and the inherent accuracy advantage of a revolver over an autoloader.  Sorry, to confuse the issue, but in consideration of your question, either would work in both situations you mentioned, but neither is optimum for both situations.

Offline pacecars

• Avid Poster
Dilemma
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2004, 01:27:21 AM »
I guess I am looking for someone that has experience with either or both guns. I have not been able to handle either one so I am going mostly on their reputations.

Offline hillbill

choices
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2004, 01:03:14 PM »
oh hell jus buy them both!  i never heard of a guy complaining he had too many pistols! :lol:

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
paccecars
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2004, 05:09:06 AM »
I hafta agree with hillbill, get em both.  Of course, I would start with the 10mm and then get the 41 for heavier work.  But, that's just me.  Mikey.

Offline Catfish

Dilemma
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2004, 04:11:11 AM »
I`m a wheel gun fan, and have never owned a semi-auto centerfire  handgun. I do have 2 - .357`s, 3 - .44 mags, and 2 - .454`s. I think my next one withh be a .500 Smith. So you should know what I would recomand. Bigger is better. :wink:

Offline pacecars

• Avid Poster
Dilemma
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2004, 10:55:39 AM »
Well I went and ordered the .41 Mag Taurus. I figure I have been .41less for a few years too many. I hope I don't get a bad one like GB's last one.

Offline Texgun

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
Delimma
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2004, 06:57:20 PM »
I think you made the right choice pacecars. Stick with traditional cartridges. Gun manufacturers and gun magazines try to make you think you need to buy a gun in every new caliber they come up with.
 There hasn't been any new cartridges since 1959 that will do anything that the old standards won't.
A great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do.
-- Walter Bagehot

Offline Texgun

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
Delimma
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2004, 07:02:09 PM »
I meant to say 1955 not 1959.
 Read this article and tell me if it makes sence to you.

{http://www.kimdutoit.com/dr/gunthing/gunthing.php?id=P13}
A great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do.
-- Walter Bagehot

Offline HappyHunter

• Trade Count: (9)
  • A Real Regular
Dilemma
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2004, 02:16:21 AM »
Texgun,

Nice artical, the most recent caliber I have is the 1964 41 mag, and I reload all that I shoot except rimfire.  I feel that artical makes a good point.

Fred
Ineedannudernewgun.
NRA Lifetime Member.

Offline Jim Stacy

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Contributor
Taurus Tracker 41 mag
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2004, 06:20:56 AM »
I have one and like it . I shoot mosatly cast bullets mid level loads. I simply worked up 200 grain load with 2400 it likes and stoped at that point. The factory loads make it feel like a real gun. :-) even if it is a little pakage.

Offline kciH

• Contributor
Dilemma
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2004, 08:50:41 PM »
If you are going to hunt with this...the .41 Mag revolver is a more suitable tool in my opinion.  I'm a big fan of the 10mm and know it has all the power needed for the smaller deer in your area. Properly loaded, it has all the power needed for any deer so long as you respect distance limitations.  The decision here comes down to the tool chosen for the job.

Offline pacecars

• Avid Poster
Dilemma
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2004, 11:03:56 AM »
I picked up the Taurus 425 today! Wow does it look and feel great! The trigger pull is smooth, crisp and light. I can not wait to go shoot it.