Author Topic: Nikon Buckmaster Scope  (Read 726 times)

Offline splicer

• Trade Count: (0)
Nikon Buckmaster Scope
« on: October 16, 2011, 05:42:17 PM »
  Just purchased a 4.5 x 14  Buckmaster scope.It has the bdc reticle.the info on the website said if your load was around 2800 fps sight it in at 100 yds.If its a magnum caliber sight it in at 200 yds.This is so the bdc will fall in place.I plan on mounting it on a 223.I know a 223 with a 55 grain sp is around 3200 fps.Just wondered what you guys think.
    Im thinking it wont fall exactly in place like they say,gonna take some trial and error to find the spot for the bdc to fall in place.

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: Nikon Buckmaster Scope
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 01:54:34 AM »
Ive used reticles like that in nikons, leupolds and burris scopes and have found the only way you can reallly know where a bullet is going to hit is by shooting them. Ive seen bullets the same weight by differnt manufactures using the same load hit 4 inches apart at a 100 yards so how would you really expect to have some chart tell you where your bullet will hit.
blue lives matter

Offline splicer

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 04:26:24 AM »
I realize that im gonna have to do alot of shooting,but if I use the same ammo I should be able to get close enough for shooting coyotes.Probably would be better if I started handloading,that way I know my loads would be consistent.

Offline bman940

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2011, 07:02:57 PM »
Splicer, Great choice, I hope you got to take advantage of the promotion too?

I have that same scope on a DPMS A15.
First thing I will suggest is that you check out Nikon's Spot On Ballistic Program.
It's not a substitute for range time but it'll save you a olot fo time and frustraion understanding how your rifle,scope and ammo
are all interacting. Go to Nikonhunting.com, click Spot On logo, register, it's all FREE, then you can pick your scoper and ammo or if you
reload you can also customize your load. Pretty cool stuff. Take a look at it and let me know what you think.
Bart
Nikon Pro Staff

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 01:37:02 AM »
got to agree with bman940. Using that spot on calculator you will get alot closer then just ballparking it.
blue lives matter