Author Topic: Favorite 41 mag powder and load  (Read 835 times)

Offline Flash

• Trade Count: (82)
Favorite 41 mag powder and load
« on: October 19, 2011, 04:17:42 AM »
Who has a favorite for 210 grain cast bullets and what is it? I'm looking for an accurate load that's around 1,000 fps but don't want to go through a bunch or loads to find an accurate one.
I am leaning towards Hercules 2400(yes i still have several pounds) but if anyone else has something to offer, let me hear it. I won't be hunting with this load but the gun might be with me on a woods walk so if anything, I'd like to keep it at 1,000 or over.
What doesn't kill us, makes us stronger!

Offline Larry Gibson

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Favorite 41 mag powder and load
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 08:47:03 AM »
OK, So a 1000 fps .41 magnum load with a 210 gr cast bullet out of what (revolver, sigle shot or rifle) with what length barrel?

Larry Gibson

Offline Flash

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 10:27:36 AM »
OK, So a 1000 fps .41 magnum load with a 210 gr cast bullet out of what (revolver, sigle shot or rifle) with what length barrel?

Larry Gibson

It really doesn't matter. I'm using 4227 for 210 jacketed loads and the difference between my Blackhawk and my Marlin is about 160 fps so if the cast loads are anywhere close to that, i'm ok. I received about 2000 cast bullets and all I want is someone's favorite powder and load. I'm not interested in splitting hairs.

Offline Old Syko

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 10:53:47 AM »
Either 110 or 2400 work well but as far as how much of either to use that is only up to you unless you have a death wish.  With the load I run in  my Blackhawk I could easily disassemble my Contender.  Believe it or not, there is that much difference in some guns.  If you're looking for an easy way out ya best stick to factory and hope for the best.

Offline Flash

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 11:29:17 AM »
Either 110 or 2400 work well but as far as how much of either to use that is only up to you unless you have a death wish.  With the load I run in  my Blackhawk I could easily disassemble my Contender.  Believe it or not, there is that much difference in some guns.  If you're looking for an easy way out ya best stick to factory and hope for the best.

I haven't bought factory handgun ammunition in over 30 years. As I mentioned, I was leaning towards 2400 and to be specific, I was going to use 16 grains but I'm not sure how these will perform with that load. They're a flat, not bevel based bullet that mic at a perfect .410.
I want a powder that meters well, has a reasonable load density and isn't too position sensitive. I'm not looking for an easy way out, I just don't want to spend hours driving back and fourth to the range and at my reloading bench.
If I wanted the loads to be up to me, I wouldn't be posting this , would I?
If your Contender will let go before your Blackhawk, you must have a really old frame. A 257JDJ is head and shoulders above the 41 mag and that doesn't disassemble them, so why would your 41 mag load?.
I'm begining to think i looked in the wrong spot for some 41 mag shooters.

Online DDZ

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 01:02:53 PM »
I never shot 2400 in my .41 redhawk, mainly because I have always had great results with w/296. If it is velocity you are after why not the Sierra 170gr. JHC. The 170gr. JHC, and a max load of 296 shot better then anything else I tried in my .41. It was fast, flat, and accurate. It made a great combination for hunting groundhogs.
Those people who will not be governed by God will be ruled by tyrants.    Wm. Penn

Offline Flash

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 01:54:55 PM »
I'm asking for a 210 grain cast bullet load...............geeezzzzz ???
Never mind, I'll chronograph some myself

Offline saddlebum

• "I ain't never been killed in my life."
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2011, 01:57:00 PM »
215gr SWC, cast from an RCBS plain base mold with wheel weights
7.5grs of Winchester 231, (or Hodgdon HP-38)
Standard large pistol primers
Ruger Redhawk, 5.5" bbl
Chronographed at 1100fps
1.5" groups at 50yds

I don't have that gun or bullet anymore. But I use this load as my standard, general purpose load in my S&W M-57 4'' and my Blackhawk 4 5/8". I have not chronographed them.
Buy the time I got around to buying my own RCBS mold, they changed the design and the new one is not as accurate. But it has a larger meplat. Unfortunately at the expense of a smaller front driving band and less accuracy.
" FIREARMS STAND NEXT IN IMPORTANCE TO THE CONSTITUTION ITSELF. THEY ARE THE AMERICAN PEOPLE'S LIBERTY TEETH AND KEYSTONE UNDER INDEPENDENCE."       George Washington

“OUR CONSTITUTION WAS MADE ONLY FOR A MORAL AND RELIGIOUS PEOPLE. IT IS WHOLLY INADEQUATE TO THE GOVERNMENT OF ANY OTHER."           John Adams

Offline Flash

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2011, 02:37:31 PM »
Now yer talking. Thanks Saddlebum, that's just the starting point i was looking for.

Offline woods

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2011, 05:49:19 PM »
     My pet practice load is 5 grains of clays  in my smith hunter 657 clocks it at 1020 fps with rcbs 215 gr  lead bullet. This is out of a 7 1/2" barrel so the shorter barell would be under 1000 just.  25 yrd groups at about 1". Once you try clays powder you won't believe  how clean it burns just wipe off the resisue and put it back in the cabinet. This is my main practice load for the 41 I'll run a 100 rounds through it on most range trips recoil is very mild. Very little leading in the barrel keeping the fps. down.
     woods

Offline gschwertley

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2011, 06:02:08 PM »
I don't shoot jacketed bullets in my .41's very often, mostly cast 210 gr.  My fave load for over 20 years has been 7.4 gr. of 231, which clocks around 1050 fps.  I've used it in S&W M57's and Ruger single actions with equal effect.  This load isn't gonna fill out your case, but I've never had position issues with it, least not that I've noticed.