Author Topic: Winchester 94AE 44 Mag Rifle Reloading  (Read 813 times)

Offline LHS

• Jesus Reigns!
  • Trade Count: (19)
  • Contributor
Winchester 94AE 44 Mag Rifle Reloading
« on: October 19, 2011, 10:54:34 AM »
Just got a used Winny 94AE with a 16" barrel. I also have a S&W 629 Classic 4 mag pistol 6" barrel). I want to reload for the rifle, but am onderig if the 94 would want heavier bullets, or same as the pistol?

Any info and recipies greatly appreciated!

Giving Thanks To God Both in Plenty and in Want!

Offline spinafish

• Trade Count: (24)
Re: Winchester 94AE 44 Mag Rifle Reloading
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 03:09:43 PM »
I would run the same cartridges through both firearms..see how the new rifle shoots with the ammo you have been using in the revolver. If it shoots it well, then load some more!  if not experiment..may be no need in chasing rabbits.  You will gain a couple of hundred feet per second with the rifle.
the most heartwreching words any man will ever hear
"depart from me, I never knew you"  Jesus
We may ignore, but we can nowhere evade the presence of God. The world is crowded with Him. He walks everywhere incognito.” C.S. Lewis

Offline Flash

• Trade Count: (82)
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 03:15:42 PM »
I feed my Marlins and Rugers the same ammunition
What doesn't kill us, makes us stronger!

Offline rockshooter

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 05:18:18 PM »
I would recommend starting with a lighter bullet. I had one of those for a while and it is the one rifle (besides a Ruger # 3 in 45-70) that absolutely kicked the snot out of me.
Loren

Offline anachronism

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 05:28:46 PM »
The Winchester will be fussier than the revolver. Overall length is critical here, so proceed carefully. Anything that works in the Smith is likely to work in the Winchester, at least as far a bullet selection goes.

Offline jlchucker

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 04:38:14 AM »
I had one of these for years.  I have to agree with Rockshooter.  Mine was a plinking gun/truck gun.  I tried several loads in it, intended for various purposes that included deer hunting.  That particular trapper model, acquired new by me around 1988 or thereabouts, fed everything flawlessly, but in terms of accuracy its best bullet was a cast semiwadcutter, Lyman 429215, sized .430, and weighing around 220 grains with the gascheck.  I spend many a pleasant afternoon with this gun at my club range, plinking clay pigeon fragments from the 100 yd gravel berm. This bullet was very accurate in this gun, and recoil was minimal. It was a far more accurate bullet in this gun than other, 240 grain and heavier loads.  One bullet that gun really hated was the Remington 240 gr jacketed softpoint, a flatnose number that I had hopes to use as a deer round. I never really could figure out why this bullet, accurate in other guns, was such a lousy performer in that little Winchester.  You don't need to use a giant slug in that little trapper.  Go for accuracy and have some fun.  If you need to hunt big game, and fear running across a Tyrannosaurus in the woods, then take a 45-70 Marlin on those sorts of hunts.

Offline Larry Gibson

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, 08:12:55 AM »
My M94 with 16" barrel shot the same bullets as my handguns from the 215 gr cast with GC up through the 270 gr 429244 with GC.  You probably will find that most PB'd cast bullets, especially those commercial ones with a really tapered BB, will shoot fairly well with top end magnum loads in the revolver but won't shoot all that well in the rifle.  The reason is the closed breach and longer barrel are driving the bullets too fast for accuracy.  If using such I recommend loading for accuracy in the rifle (not exceeding laoding data for the revolver) and then just accepting the load in the revolver.  Most often that load will still shoot quite well in the rifle.  I've found this to be the case in several leveraciton/revolver combo's in .357, .41, 44 and .45 calibers
If casting your own bullets I found the usual Kieth type (45-250-K or 429421) to shoot very well with 8.5 gr of Unique in both the rifle and revolvers.  Is a very pleasant and accurate load in both.  H4227 was the only slower handgun powder that I could get to shoot accurately at top end out of both the revolver and the rifle.  23 gr gave 1530 fps out of the 16" rifle and 1210 out of my 6 1/2" barreled revolver.

GC'd cast bullets are the best way to go for a top end magnum load that will shoot well in both revolver and rifle.  I found the 270 gr 429244 or the 429640HP over 23 gr H110 to be ecxellent in both the revolver and the rifle.  This is a top end magnum load so there is recoil there but it is an excellent hunting load.

For Jacketed bullets the Hornady 240 XTP over 24.5 gr H110 is a very hard combination to best in either revolver or rifle.  If you are buying commercial ammo to hunt with the Hornady factory load pretty much duplicates this load and is extremely accurate in rifle and revolver.

Larry Gibson

Offline LHS

• Jesus Reigns!
  • Trade Count: (19)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2011, 12:59:00 AM »
I'm seling the Winny to fund a Marlin 1894S in 44 mag, 20" barrel, so I guess I need info for that instead...

Thanks for all the info already posted!
LHS
Giving Thanks To God Both in Plenty and in Want!