Author Topic: Pardner Single Shot Variants?  (Read 1158 times)

Offline flmason

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Pardner Single Shot Variants?
« on: October 20, 2011, 07:42:36 PM »
Hi All,
    Am considering a  Pardner in 12 or 20 gauge. Locally I ran into two 20 gauges, one with dark stained stocks and another with much lighter wood. Both, IIRC were Illion, NY. manufacture. Any idea when the the wood was changed or if it signifies anything other than perhaps saving money on stain?

Not being much of a wingshot, thought I'd ask, what's everyone's thoughts on full vrs. modified choke?

My personal experience using a borrowed side by side was that it seemed like I broke more clay with the full choke. But that was literally 20 years ago.

Any thoughts on how much I give up by going with 20 rather than 12. Couldn't find a 12 locally, and the 20's seemed to handle really nicely. But heck, can't even get a Lee mold for 20 guage slugs. (I'm an dyed in the wool reloader, LOL!)

Anyway, would appreciate opinions on 20 vs. 12 and modified vrs. full.

My gut says, "You want 12 gauge full.", am I offbase?

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
Re: Pardner Single Shot Variants?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 05:29:35 AM »
These are a light platform (weight = recoil reduction) and a 12 kicks me sore. I like the 20's and the difference in choke will be the real pattern it throws from that particular barrel and the load (charge, shot size, cups, etc.) you use. My 'std.' (imp?) choke is fine for me with what Im using, and if I apply the proper fundamentals of 'gunning it hits.
I would suggest you get one with the factory recoil pad, it will let you even shoot the 3" if you want, but several have said the 2 3/4" pattern better. They also tend to shoot foster type slug loads pretty well.
I vote for the 20.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2011, 01:51:01 PM »
Getting so hard to find 20 ga. around here, I switched to 12 ga.  It kicks more, but doesn't really bother me too much so far.  I have a .410 and 16 also, so if I really want to avoid it for some stuff I can use those. 
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2011, 05:16:35 PM »
And there are reduced recoil 12ga. loads, but around here they are more expensive; maybe the best deal are light trap loads. The reality to me is that 7/8 to 1oz. of shot is the same out of either, but those 1 1/4oz field loads to snottier than they need to be. A real nice load, with great patterns is the 7/8oz in a 12ga. (just try to buy those!), so a 20 is my choice for use and the two 12s are sitting.
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline flmason

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2011, 11:08:42 PM »
Well, I went ahead and sprung for the 20 gauge with modified choke. Couldn't find a full choke example in either gauge locally. Almost went for the pump in 12 gauge, but stuck pinching pennies at the moment, so will have to do.

Picked up some Winchester 2 3/4  slugs in 3/4 ounce, would've liked 3" but couldn't find a "magnum" 20 gauge slug load to save my life.

Also wanted some #6 game loads, but couldn't find those in my preferred brands. So went with 7 1/2. Did I make a mistake? They are 1 oz. 2 1/2 dram equivalents. Seems to me that overlaps with some of the target loads out there, even though the box was marked "game loads". (Winchester Super X). I guess game can be as small as you want, but I'm thinking I gave up some heavier game with this shot size?

(Once I get around to reloading won't matter, but curious just how much I give up to the smaller shot size. Seems to my research that #6 is the most all around size?)

Chances are, when I get around to reloading supplies will just go with 3" and work up loads with the longer shell. (Guess I'm a big believer in "magnum" since I grew up loading .44 mags.)

Thoughts on best all around slugs and shot selection?

Judging by the cost of ammo, even if reloading, seems to me .22 would be a more cost effective game getter if you can get the shot. Of course the flip side is, 20 gauge slugs are going to a more reliable stopper of big game within it's range.

Offline spooked

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2011, 06:28:44 AM »
I hunt up #6 promotional "game" loads 2 1/2dram x7/8oz. loads.. work pretty good for about any small game.. If a gun won't perform adequately with these loads I don't need it!
 By the Bye Lyman makes a slug mold for the 20 ga. that should work in the rifled
or smoothbore barrels.
 My opinion you made a good choice on choke and guage for an allaround shotgun. ;)
Lost between sunrise and sunset yesterday-one golden hour...never to be found or reclaimed:-(

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2011, 09:50:07 AM »
Im really liking the #6 7/8oz loads in my 20s, too. I have some 7 1/2s for 'small stuff' and it is fine, but I like that extra smack of the 6# if something is tough.
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special

Offline flmason

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2011, 03:34:12 PM »
@Spooked - Thanks for the tip on the mold. Any idea if the hollow base or the shot cup version works better in smooth bore? Have to say, the Lyman molds + handle are almost more than the gun, LOL! Lee definitely makes less of a dent in the wallet.

@Gcrank1 - All rightly, when I get around to ordering a bag of shot we'll go with 6.

Anyone have any thoughts on using something even bigger, like #5?

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2011, 04:32:15 PM »
Might try this approach.  The Lee Minie Ball molds are only about 19 bucks:
http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=118&t=222484&start=0
https://factorysales.com/html/xcart/MOLD-575-472-M.html
You could make your own buckshot also with another mold from them, but it's a bit pricier:
https://factorysales.com/html/xcart/000-BUCKSHOT-18-MOLD.html
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2011, 04:40:23 PM »
As an old BP flintlock smoothbore shooter I have thought about going the big roundball route, but factory Foster slug loads are sooo cheap and available everywhere just like 12s. If they werent I know I could make a soft lead bore size RB work but it should be used in a cyl.bore.
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special

Offline JoseBob

• Trade Count: (16)
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2011, 04:42:15 PM »
5's are pretty hard to find around my part of the woods.  I use 6's on squirrels and rabbits.  Doves too.  7 1/2's are a good shot size for the birds and will work for rabbit and squirrels iffin they are closer.  say bout 25 yards.  6's will work out to bout 30 to 35 yards.  I have used store bought 4s for rabbits and they have good range, but you got to do your part and put it on em.  On the cast .60 round balls I load.  They are from wheel weights in a Lee mold. Your modified choke may be a bit tight to shoot them.  Lee also has a .575 I think.  you could load this in a shot cup over 2 1/2 to 3 Dram equivalant load and you should be in business.  3 drams works out to be about 82 grains of Black Powder.  I am old school and like the old loads.  ymmv...

Draw a fine bead on em Son!!!   Bobby
Draw a fine bead on em Son!

Offline flmason

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2011, 06:54:14 PM »
Might try this approach.  The Lee Minie Ball molds are only about 19 bucks:
http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=118&t=222484&start=0
https://factorysales.com/html/xcart/MOLD-575-472-M.html
You could make your own buckshot also with another mold from them, but it's a bit pricier:
https://factorysales.com/html/xcart/000-BUCKSHOT-18-MOLD.html

Thanks much, I'll be pouring over those next.

I saw the buckshot mold, and I guess any round ball mold in the .30 to .36 cal. range could be used for various size buckshot. I've read somewhere in the gun press/blogs though, that buckshot isn't good for use on... well... bucks. That it maims as often as it kills, and that it's really best for home defense scenarios.

Thoughts?

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2011, 08:03:30 PM »
I've never carried buckshot until this year.  I did pattern my gun with 3" 000 Remington Magnums rated for 1500fps in 12ga.  Put 9 .36 cal. balls in a 8" area at 30 yards.  I definitely don't want to get hit by that.  lol  I don't know of a deer that can take it either.  A lot of damage statements in the past were because people thought they can just point and shoot.  Sometimes winging a buck with 1 or 2 pellets.  If you aim, just as if you are shooting a bullet, and put that pattern on a bucks chest.  I seriously doubt it'll go anywhere.  I was using it for antlerless deer season and planned to use head shots only.  Unfortunately, the only deer we saw this year was moving fast and I missed when I hit a tree between me and the deer.  8(  I am going to try again with the Buckshot, but it's definitely not my primary.  Now that the greenery is gone, it's back to rifle or slug for me.  ;)

Offline spooked

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2011, 07:37:22 AM »
#2 buck is about as large of buck asis usable in the 20 ga..27 diameter I believe. You could with some research use a couple of those large roundballs(one on top of another)..Catshooter45 or somebody had some info on the double roundballs :) .Though they wouldn't be legal where buckshot is not legal for deer. :'(
Lost between sunrise and sunset yesterday-one golden hour...never to be found or reclaimed:-(