Author Topic: Not enough farm workers in Alabama since anti immigration law passed.  (Read 2865 times)

Offline scotsman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Not enough farm workers in Alabama since anti immigration law passed.
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2011, 06:40:11 PM »
The issue of illegal immigration will not be solved anytime soon because both political parties use and benefit from them. Large portions of the republican base, processors  and farmers and construction want the cheap labor to exploit. The democrats want the votes they later provide. The status quo is maintained, both parties benefit. Both sides pay lip service to getting tough and nothing ever changes.

Offline LunaticFringeInc

• Contributor
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2011, 10:15:33 PM »
Well if Liberals are correct in their assumptions we will be paying what...5.00 for a head of lettuce?  Guess we will soon see, but I am kinda thinking the price of gas to transport it will be a much larger factor.  I kinda wonder too if the state is now paying out less in welfare benefits for food stamps, section 8 housing and free medical care?

Offline powderman

« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2011, 04:02:53 AM »
I kinda wonder too if the state is now paying out less in welfare benefits for food stamps, section 8 housing and free medical care?

You could pretty well bet on that, crime  rates will drop too. POWDERMAN.  :o :o
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Offline Shu

« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2011, 05:04:49 AM »
The article also stated the illeagals made more per day than the white workers. Am I the only one that caught that. Yes the work can be difficult but if you stick with it you can learn a few things to make the job easier. Working one or two days and quitting is not really learning an easier way of doing a task. The article clearly said the more you picked the more you got paid. Illeagals getting 200$ a day and citizens getting 25$ a day.

When I was a kid I worked at a chicken farm. We caught chickens and put them in transportation cages and loaded them on a truck. You got paid by cages you loaded 18 chickens per cage. I was talking with my pops about how hard it was becuase it took forever to catch 18 chickens and put them in the crate. He told me a way to carry more chickens before crating besides one in each hand. It worked I was getting more pay than anyone else.
There are tricks to every job to make them more productive.

This article is more about lazy citizens and a shot at conservatives.

Offline Cabin4

• Avery H. Wallace
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Out West
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2011, 05:22:44 AM »
I would really only care about one thing if I lived in AL, and that is that the illegals are leaving the state. I would be glad to see a situation that AL business are having a hard time filling some of these jobs. That would re-level the wage upward as those businesses would have to offer a better salary/benefits to finally fill the jobs by an American. If I had to pay 5 cents more for a dozen eggs knowing that it went to one of my fellow Americans, I'm glad to do it as long as it was like this, a correction of what is obviously 1st and foremost just damn wrong and it alos happens to be illegal! Its about time the states take this issue into thier own hands. The feds are not going to do anything and especially obama and the liberals ain't gonna to squat, ever.
Avery Hayden Wallace
Obama Administration: A corrupt criminal enterprise of bold face liars.
The States formed the Union. The Union did not form the States. States Rights!
GET US OUT OF THE UN. NO ONE WORLD GOVERNMENT!
S.A.S.S/NRA Life Member/2nd Amendment Foundation
CCRKBA/Gun Owners of America
California Rifle & Pistol Association
Ron Paul Was Right!
Long Live the King! #3

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2011, 05:37:49 AM »
The Feds are doing all they can to stop the States from enforcing the laws that are on the books now.
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2011, 08:23:42 AM »

Withouit reading every comment I'll make mine.  ;)

This is as it should be. Thats right, as it should be.  We have lived through an aboration in human history, and have gotten used to it.

Left alone, the fruit and vegy growers would pay enough money to lure pickers. Left alone, people would need a job and would be "hungry" enough, to do a short seasonal job. To be able to put something aside if you will. Guess what, prices ought to rise in the market.

Truth is this, you are going to feed folks and house them. Do it through taxes and handouts, I cannot imagine the government is an efficient distributer of anything. Or let the economy provide the money through employment of Americans, doing jobs that Americans will and have done, when they were adequitly compensated.

The American consumer has worshipped at the alter of low prices and mass consumption. We have sold our identity and our soul for a cubic yard of lousy chips for a dollar.  We could have kept on eating steak for a couple dollars more. At the end of the day better fed and more satisfied.

Gotta close now I hear a bag of Doritos calling me. ;D   

**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline Cabin4

• Avery H. Wallace
  • GBO Supporter
  • Out West
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2011, 10:03:44 AM »
http://blog.al.com/wire/2011/10/state_program_to_replace_immig.html

There are other similar articles like the above. May be tough time for farmers that need a lot of labor. Once again laws passed from emotion without thinking through the ramifications.
GuzziJohn

Mmmm...I'd say this all about how Albamanites, etc...should brace themselves for some real serious food price increases coming to a store near you...be ready.

..TM7

This is the typical pro illegal immigration response. We are going to suffer from hunger now!

Lets be real. We all know what causes a food shortage. Inability to produce, period! Today, we pay farmers now to grow food because if our crop production was really at capacity, prices would fall. The farm lobby has done well at getting what they want to protect the crop industry from wide swings in price.

No short term farm labor shortage in AL is going to result in people starving to death. Thats justpure 100% pro illegal alien garbage. May the price go up a bit, yes but do people need to brace for a "serious shortage", hog wash. Get ready to pay $1.30 for a dozen eggs versus $1.28. Thats about how serious this is.
Avery Hayden Wallace
Ron Paul Was Right!
Long Live the King! #3

Online nw_hunter

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2011, 11:02:57 AM »
http://blog.al.com/wire/2011/10/state_program_to_replace_immig.html

There are other similar articles like the above. May be tough time for farmers that need a lot of labor. Once again laws passed from emotion without thinking through the ramifications.
GuzziJohn

Mmmm...I'd say this all about how Albamanites, etc...should brace themselves for some real serious food price increases coming to a store near you...be ready.

..TM7

Here in the Peoples Republic of Oregon I've noticed huge increases in food prices lately, and we have done nothing to expel the Illegals!What if the prices do spike for a time! Do you think it's a bad thing for Al. to rid themselves of these interlopers?
Freedom Of Speech.....Once we lose it, every other freedom will follow.

Offline powderman

« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2011, 12:28:38 PM »
Do you think it's a bad thing for Al. to rid themselves of these interlopers?

NO, it's a good thing, all of America should follow suit. Kinda hard to do though when the president an his co conspirators support the criminals over Americans. POWDERMAN.  >:( >:(
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Online ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2011, 02:29:14 PM »
  TM says;
    " 
Mmmm...I'd say this all about how Albamanites, etc...should brace themselves for some real serious food price increases coming to a store near you...be ready".
  TM;  Agricultural marketing is such that the cost of food grown in Alabama or any other state, is not confined to that state.
If food prices climb, they will climb across the country.
   I doubt the difference will be greatly noticed, judging by the rapid increase of food costs over the last year.  These huge increases were precipited by Obama causing the Fed to print a couple trillion unsecured dollars.

Beyond that, when speaking of ILLEGAL aliens..for otherwise clear headed individuals..........

......What part of ILLEGAL do they not understand ?.
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline BUGEYE

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2011, 02:53:46 PM »
the largest increases in any product price is the cost of diesel to transport it.
Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     Patrick Henry

bugeye

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2011, 03:04:16 PM »
From China and South America.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2011, 10:05:23 AM »
One dz. eggs for $ 1.30.................my wife and I would swoon !! ;)

Offline powderman

« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2011, 04:23:57 PM »

We paid $1.89 dz at kroger last week. POWDERMAN.  :o :o

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2011, 08:39:40 AM »
the largest increases in any product price is the cost of diesel to transport it.
I often hear that but I'm not prone to believing it.

How about a little math. With fuel at $4.00 you can ship a bushel of corn 850 miles for about 66 cents. thats 850 bu per load on a truck getting 6mpg, both easily done, 880 and 6.7 being closer on an efficiently run truck. Now jump into the way back machine to $1.00 fuel, it'll cost you roughly .17 cents to get the same bushel to market. I'm figuring 6mpg and the same 850bu.

We are talking a .50 difference. Any one bought corn lately. :o  $1.96 / bu then and something like $7 / bu now. That more than covers shipping.

How about those eggs. Simple math again. Twenty pallets a ton each on a forty-eight foot trailer going 600 miles = 100 gallons of fuel in the same truck. ( pretty much a real load by the way) $400 now and a single hundy in the way back times. $100 dollars for the twenty pallets means $5 per pallet vs. $20 now. I believe, though I could be wrong, there are 48 cases of 12 dozen per case on a pallet ( it could very well be 60 cases ). Thats 566 dozen to spread that $15 across.

Again I ain't believing that truck fuel is the cause of all the grocery store price increases.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline BUGEYE

« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2011, 10:13:43 AM »
for some time now an increase in diesel equals a rise in grocery prices.
my wife has 2 nephews that both own 2 trucks and they would argue your math.
it would be nice if you only started the engine at point A and shut it off at point B, like in your math problem.
but a dedicated produce or grain trailer has to return to point A.
you can't haul everything in a 53ft van.  milk for instance.
one of them hauled beef for a long time from somewhere in KS.  but he quit and started hauling standard freight so he could get haulbacks. more money.
                                     Patrick Henry

bugeye

Offline guzzijohn

« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2011, 10:25:35 AM »
This is how the Kansas Corn Commission broke down the cost of an 18oz. box of corn flakes in 2007. Labor costs being by far the highest part of the cost.

Offline gstewart44

• Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #48 on: October 25, 2011, 11:03:03 AM »
oops forgot the quote ??? 
I'm just tryin' to keep everything in balance, Woodrow. You do more work than you got to, so it's my obligation to do less. (Gus McCrae)

Offline gstewart44

• Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2011, 11:04:45 AM »
Not sure exactly where but I believe the Bible says, he who will not work, neither shall he eat. POWDERMAN.  ;D ;D
I believe you are looking for 2 Thessalonians 3:10  This is the King James Bible version:

For even when we were with you, this we commanded you, that if any would not work, neither should he eat.
I'm just tryin' to keep everything in balance, Woodrow. You do more work than you got to, so it's my obligation to do less. (Gus McCrae)

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #50 on: October 25, 2011, 06:49:22 PM »

My SiL lives about 6 miles from here. They have free range laying chickens.
A dz sells for 3 bucks and people are happy to drive to her place for the price and quality.

Offline Mike38

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #51 on: October 25, 2011, 09:14:56 PM »
Is unemployment 0.0% in Alabama? No? Then there are workers. Cut off the welfare and food stamps and there would suddenly be tens of thousands of people willing to work on a farm.
Get off the government handouts you dead beats!
I'm an Electrician. Commonly make anywhere from $21 to $29 an hour. But there is no work around my parts. So this Monday I start a job running a small CNC machine making firring pins for M4 rifles. Pay will be $10.50 an hour. It's a job! Better then sucking off the government teat. 

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #52 on: October 26, 2011, 12:54:24 AM »
Amen, I'm glad you have a job.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline BUGEYE

« Reply #53 on: October 26, 2011, 02:16:28 AM »

My SiL lives about 6 miles from here. They have free range laying chickens.
A dz sells for 3 bucks and people are happy to drive to her place for the price and quality.
a chicken that gets some cracked corn and then roams around catching bugs and worms will have rich orange yolks that has the best flavor in the world.  that's what I grew up on.
and yes, I can get eggs for $1.30  small white ones, yuck.
                                     Patrick Henry

bugeye

Online ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #54 on: October 26, 2011, 04:41:27 AM »
Is unemployment 0.0% in Alabama? No? Then there are workers. Cut off the welfare and food stamps and there would suddenly be tens of thousands of people willing to work on a farm.
Get off the government handouts you dead beats!
I'm an Electrician. Commonly make anywhere from $21 to $29 an hour. But there is no work around my parts. So this Monday I start a job running a small CNC machine making firring pins for M4 rifles. Pay will be $10.50 an hour. It's a job! Better then sucking off the government teat.
     Way to go Mike;
   I've done that before..but one still can keep his working man's pride.  I have no problem with those who are truly disabled, that kind of thing happens..
   Biggest problem is with those who "ride" the system, especially the multi-generational families who plan nothing more than plotting a way to scam the system..
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline Cabin4

• Avery H. Wallace
  • GBO Supporter
  • Out West
« Reply #55 on: October 26, 2011, 05:55:16 AM »
This is how the Kansas Corn Commission broke down the cost of an 18oz. box of corn flakes in 2007. Labor costs being by far the highest part of the cost.

[/quote

not all farm labor is illegal so the real impact on labor price in this wide analysis is very small
Avery Hayden Wallace
Ron Paul Was Right!
Long Live the King! #3

Offline mcbammer

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #56 on: October 26, 2011, 05:55:43 AM »
JUST a comment on immigrents . . Living in bama ; In a county that has alot of illegals .  One will rent a home then move ten or so more in. Many  get paid in    cash  & wire it back  home  .  The only revenue the state sees is sales tax .  The babies born to illegals  here are  US CITIZENS NOW . iTS ONE BIG MESS . ONE  state  offers free tuition to college for illegals .While mine is cracking down on them .  What say you ? 

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #57 on: October 26, 2011, 05:58:27 AM »
cut  off the welfare
cut  off the  un-employment after 2 months

there will be no shortage of labor
this will also reduce the government cost

sure food prices...MIGHT go up
thats free interprize

and freedom isn't free
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline guzzijohn

« Reply #58 on: October 26, 2011, 06:08:17 AM »
Quote from Cabin4:
not all farm labor is illegal so the real impact on labor price in this wide analysis is very small

The labor quoted in my example is the labor costs once the raw product is gone from the farmer not the farm labor costs. This would be processing labor costs, etc.
GuzziJohn

Offline Pat/Rick

« Reply #59 on: October 26, 2011, 06:18:25 AM »
Welfare and unemployment recipients should have to show up for a mandatory viewing of "The Grapes of Wrath", after the movie is over hand them a list of addresses of farms needing help to harvest, and a notice of 'termination of benefits'. Maybe reintroduce sharecropping?