Author Topic: 350 Remington Magnum need help  (Read 1483 times)

Offline jays375

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
350 Remington Magnum need help
« on: October 22, 2011, 01:24:26 PM »
I have a friend that has a 350 Remington and finds out you can't get loaded ammo for it.He asked me if I can load some ammo for him.Plus he only has two boxes of brass.Just did some looking and really can't find brass for it.Anybody help me out plus some good loads would be appreciated.The rifle is a Remington 700.

Offline anachronism

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: 350 Remington Magnum need help
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2011, 04:17:37 PM »
There's 100 rounds of factory ammo on Gunbroker for $155.00. This may be what he needs to do since nobody seems to have brass for this caliber at the moment. If you're really careful, you could possibly shorten & resize 338 Win Mag brass, then fire form, but it's almost certain that you'll need to turn the resulting case necks in order to safely seat a bullet in the case. In addition, you would need to be very careful with reloading data, since the case is very likely to be thicker throughout it's entire length. If you can find 6.5 Rem Mag brass, you may be able to neck those cases up in stages without too much difficulty. You're on your own for reloading data, but the information is commonly available from reloading manuals.

Offline jays375

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2011, 05:21:30 PM »
All I can say is glad it isn't mine,told him not to buy it.With bear season a month away there isn't time to make brass.As for loads was hoping for a good one since there isn't much time.Of course probally what I put together will work better than factory.Since he said the factory weren't anything great.

Offline anachronism

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2011, 07:18:17 PM »
It's probably a neat rifle, but it's not the best choice for someone who doesn't handload themselves. The bears should be impressed by it, since it's much like a short action 35 Whelen.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2011, 01:37:55 AM »
It's probably a neat rifle, but it's not the best choice for someone who doesn't handload themselves. The bears should be impressed by it, since it's much like a short action 35 Whelen.
I agree, it IS a great little caliber whose only real short coming is in many bolts its not a heavy bullet friendly rifle.
YES you can easily make brass form about any of the "MAGNUM" brass. But I prefer NOT to choose one that smaller diameter as you cannot add brass and going "UP" makes it thinner. While going down and neck turning is not a problem.

Personally when I could not find brass I made it from 300 H&H as I had quite a bit of that. Then trimmed and neck reamed then loaded. Normally I an concerned with using other brass, because should someone lay hands on that rifle and its loads who was not aware bad things could happen. But being that there are only a couple short action magnums and there quite different there is not much danger.

Loading manuals will give you the data you need. I do not like to post or offer data as mistakes happen and I would very much to be the cause. But as I said its not necessary as your obviously a loader as you have been tasked with this and likely have the data you need already. The little magi is not too hard to load for, but as you mentioned your time is short. My fav bullet in mine is a 225 Sierra (Also the Nosler Accu bond is a great one) but would prefer the 250 or even 275 I can shoot out of my Whelen because bears get big. ;) Also as I said the little case is hurt by heavy bullets, if the action is short as your limited by the box mag dimensions for OAL bullet.
I find that the 225 is a nice improvement over the 200's and balances out vel and energy from the smaller case.

Good luck,
' CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline jays375

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2011, 04:14:57 AM »
The ammo on Gun Broker is Wisconsin Cartridge Corp.Never heard of the company,any good?Hopefully I can come up with some brass.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2011, 04:36:14 AM »
The ammo on Gun Broker is Wisconsin Cartridge Corp.Never heard of the company,any good?Hopefully I can come up with some brass.
As we mentioned its easy to make it... IF you have other magnum brass to form from... Just lube it up and run it thru the die... trim to length and ream the necks.. DONE. Realy only a tiny bit more work than reg resizing with trimming.... ;)

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline spinafish

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2011, 04:59:30 AM »
the most heartwreching words any man will ever hear
"depart from me, I never knew you"  Jesus
We may ignore, but we can nowhere evade the presence of God. The world is crowded with Him. He walks everywhere incognito.” C.S. Lewis

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2011, 05:44:39 AM »

They used to be a good source, dunno now tho.

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,68843.msg420776.html#msg420776

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,58872.msg352998.html#msg352998
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline jays375

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2011, 07:41:13 AM »
Thanks for the heads up on the brass and info on Wisconsin Cartridge Company.

Offline LanceR

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2011, 09:14:02 AM »
350 Rem Mag can be formed from either 7mm Rem Mag or .338 Win Mag. 

7mm RM brass is less difficult to find and is usually less money.

RCBS and Redding (others?) make dies.  Given that the few suppliers of 350 RM brass I've seen want as much as $3 or more per case I think your buddy should look and forming them. 

MidwayUSA.com has Redding trim dies at a closeout price of less than $37.  If I were your buddy I'd be on that like a bad rash.

Lance

Offline anachronism

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2011, 12:44:24 PM »
I deliberatelysuggested 338 brass because it starts out with larger diameter necks. 358 Norma could be ideal for this. This could make a difference when necking the cases up. For that matter, one could also use  practically any magnum rifle case. I agree with CW about necking small cases up thinning the necks.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2011, 01:10:08 PM »
I deliberatelysuggested 338 brass because it starts out with larger diameter necks. 358 Norma could be ideal for this. This could make a difference when necking the cases up. For that matter, one could also use  practically any magnum rifle case. I agree with CW about necking small cases up thinning the necks.

Agreed, I too should clarify..

When I said smaller, I was refering to the 6.5 Rem is the lone mag casing I do NOT recomend. ;)

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline LanceR

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2011, 03:03:31 PM »
cwlongshot, good thought on the smaller neck of the 7mm case but I don't think that it applies.

I suspect that the concern of necking up a 7mm RM case-and any attendant brass thinning at the neck-would be more than offset by the shoulder and neck being moved down to the shorter .350 RM length.  The case mouth needs to be dropped back by the length of the neck of a .338 case and farther than the neck of a 7mm case.  The shoulder area and case side walls of the parent case have a lot more brass in them than the original neck.  That brass will wind up in the new case neck/shoulder.

The parent case (either 7mm RM or .338 WM) needs to be shortened by 0.330".  The 7mm case neck is shorter so the shoulder needs to be upset further than that of the .338.  The new .350 RM neck is only 0.355" long.

If you start with a .338 WM case, the mouth of the .350 RM case will be where the junction of the neck and shoulder of the parent case were.  With a 7mm RM case the new mouth will be below the parent case's neck/shoulder junction.  This means that the metal that formed the shoulder, and part of the side wall, of the parent case is now concentrated in the new case neck and shoulder.

At the risk of pole vaulting over a mouse turd I wonder if that, in using either parent cartridge case, you would need to "neck turn" the new case to make the brass at the neck the nominal thickness of a factory .350 RM case. 

When the parent case is run up into the die and bottoms out the sizing button is already inside the case.  You squeeze a lot of extra brass into the new neck area.  Now, on the down stroke of the lever, the button comes back out of the case and leaves the inside of the neck at the correct diameter to receive a bullet.

The problem is that all the excess brass has now made the outside diameter larger and less uniform.  This in turn reduces the ability of the case to correctly expand and rebound while maintaining the expected pressure curve.

Neck turning would make the case both the correct exterior dimension and leave the neck interior ready to accept a bullet.

I've never attempted forming a .350 RM case from either a 7mm RM or .338 WM case so all this remain theoretical until I ever get around to doing so and actually measure the results so please bear with me here.  I hope I have all the dimensions etc correct....

Lance

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2011, 03:38:59 PM »
Personally when I could not find brass I made it from 300 H&H as I had quite a bit of that. Then trimmed and neck reamed then loaded. Normally I an concerned with using other brass, because should someone lay hands on that rifle and its loads who was not aware bad things could happen. But being that there are only a couple short action magnums and there quite different there is not much danger.

Quote from: cwlongshot
As we mentioned its easy to make it... IF you have other magnum brass to form from... Just lube it up and run it thru the die... trim to length and ream the necks.. DONE. Realy only a tiny bit more work than reg resizing with trimming.... ;)

CW

Quote from: cwlongshot
Agreed, I too should clarify..

When I said smaller, I was refering to the 6.5 Rem is the lone mag casing I do NOT recomend. ;)

CW

Lance,

I quoted myself above to clarify myself. I have been at this game for some time... ::) ;)

I did not elaborate on smaller cases as I figured it was obvious... Other than the 6.5 Rem mag, no other magnum brass is of sufficient length to be "smaller" at the neck. As you pointed out, all other Mag brass is either longer and/or larger in diameter. Before someone mentions the 450 Marlin...its belt is wider and would NOT qualify... The placement of the shoulder or sides of the parent case do not matter.

You are correct, the expander ball makes the correct diameter inside the case neck. So outside is where the thicknesses varies and needs to be thinned. YES it will effect as you specified. again, the neck of the parent case is not worth worrying about. It will reform properly and after first firing not be visible. So as I said, any other magnum case will work just fine as a parent case to make 350 RM brass.

I have been reforming cases to different calibers for many years. This caliber specifically. Others much more involved like the little 256 WM and 7mm TCU and 30/357 Herrett... or others that are easy like 8mm Mauser, 7.65x53 Mauser and 358 Win. Simply run them into the die and trim off excess... While others require annealing before forming and fire forming after to fully form the shoulder, before any real hi pressure loading can be done.

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline LanceR

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2011, 01:30:07 AM »
cwlongshot, thanks for the insight.  The only case forming I've done is pretty mild stuff-.338 WM to .30-.338 WM-so it barely qualifies.

Regardless of which parent case was used it would all be somewhat hit or miss for me at first.

Lance

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2011, 11:12:33 AM »
cwlongshot, thanks for the insight.  The only case forming I've done is pretty mild stuff-.338 WM to .30-.338 WM-so it barely qualifies.

Regardless of which parent case was used it would all be somewhat hit or miss for me at first.

Lance
Something I also didn't delve into is work hardened brass... this makes reforming more difficult. New virgin brass or sometimes even once fired is best.
Annealing the sharp shouldered cases like 256 Win and 7mm TCU helps too.

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2011, 01:24:23 PM »
So Jays,
You have had a couple days, what did you come up with?

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2011, 07:14:52 PM »
I have some brass laying around, unfortunately I'm in Canada.
A bullet that shot very well out of the Rem 700 Classic was the Hdy 250 gr RN pushed with IMR 3031.
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline jays375

• Avid Poster
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2011, 04:01:28 PM »
Well I have been trying to track down a local guy that might have some.Plus see who here might sell me some from the classifieds.