Author Topic: Lee Reloading Stand  (Read 1545 times)

Offline goodconcretecolor

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Lee Reloading Stand
« on: October 22, 2011, 02:05:10 PM »
My bonus room needs to accomodate my wifes hobbies (sewing, quilting etc.), professional practice(music teacher and organist) as well as my reloading and gun care. The Lee stand looks like it would allow my press to move about the room to make the space truly multi-purpose. I have also seen on another thread about people useing  workmates and grinder stands in a similar fashion. By the time I outfit a workmate or other stand to reload, the cost is a wash with the Lee stand and the Lee comes ready to go(after assembly of course but they all have to bee assembled).
I am looking for input from those that have used the Lee stand. Thanks guys.

Offline BKS

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Contributor
Re: Lee Reloading Stand
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2011, 07:05:29 PM »
 FWIW, I haven't used a Lee stand, I did however recently try using a grinder stand. It will work, just as the Lee stand will work, Im sure, but be prepared for the press to move around. Pistol rounds were not too bad but FL resizing 30-06, I had to use one hand on the handle and one on the press.

I didn't try putting a brick under the stand like they show in the Lee ads though.

I wish you luck in your search, I am building a extra heavy version of the sinclair press stand to try until I can get a workmate.

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2011, 05:44:19 AM »
That is usefull input as I have a workmate and a piece of 3/4" plywood just the right size to make a top. The main problem is that the workmate gets used for a lot of different things. But this is so easy to try, Why not?
I do believe the Lee stand would be a bit easier to move about a room. Guys, if any body gets one, let us know how it works out

Offline Savage

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2011, 01:41:35 PM »
Sad state of affairs!

Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2011, 04:44:35 AM »
I am kinda late to this party as I tend to avoid Lee threads.
Many people are in this same boat! It sound to me like a good bench will suit both of you well. RCBS makes plates for reloading equiptment. This allows you to mount your stuff to these plates and easilly remove them when you need the bench surface clear.

http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/239916/rcbs-accessory-base-plate-2-for-trimmer-powder-measure-stand-priming-tool-partner-press-and-rock-chucker-press-mounting

Or maybe a Dillon strong mount..

http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/content/p/9/catid/3/pid/23596/Dillon_RL550_XL650_Strong_Mount

I have no experience with this piece of Lee equipment. What I do know is reloading on anything less than a good solid bench surface is a exercise in futility...

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Reverend Recoil

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2011, 04:53:48 AM »
Maybe the vertical reloading bench will work for you.  It is a permanent installation but takes up very little floor space and could be installed out of sight in the back of a closet.

http://www.tacticoolproducts.com/bench/

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2011, 04:24:05 PM »
Rev. Recoil,
The vertical bench is an awsome design. I am currently in the process of relocating about 100 miles for a new job. I thought the Lee stand seemed particularly adaptable to that situation. I have a Lee hand press but also have a classic turret press that is a lot more fun to use. The vertical bench will definitly be considered when a permanent residence is established.

Offline Hodr

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
  • Blinded by law
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2011, 08:20:50 PM »
I bought an old super heavy weight kitchen table made of oak.  This was an absolute travesty of a table with 3 leaves, but solid.  I mounted a different bench top power tool on each leaf and it now changes uses faster than a Shopsmith.  Upon thinking and looking I found I had 3 reloading presses.  A trip down to a cabinet shop and they gave me a half dozen sink cut outs.  I mounted a press to each cutout and bored holes for carrige bolts and wing nuts right down thru the cutouts and the table.  When I am not using it the wife does leather work, quilting and dehydrating on it.  All the cutouts and the table leaves hang on large wall hooks in the garage.  $25 for table, $0.00 for sink cutouts, about $30 for hardware, a little over $50 invested.  If you do this remember to put reloading press on sink cut out so it hangs out over the table and makes it easy to use.

Hodr
TANSTAAFL

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2011, 07:11:07 AM »
+1 on the verticle bench set-up.  Cool idea.  ;)
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline wileynet

• Trade Count: (30)
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2011, 07:25:01 AM »
here a couple ideas i found on the web, thinking about building one, perfect for taking on the road, give me something do when visiting the obnoxious in laws
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -Thomas Jefferson

Huntsman 58,NEF 45/70 manlicher stock, H&R 308, 30-06, 12 ga, 20 ga, H&R 223, H&R 204 varmiter,H&R 243, H&R 44mag, SMLE No 1 MKIV,SMLE No4 MK1, Savage 110 7mm, Ruger BH 45LC, Security Six, SR9, S&W 22a, CVA MTN Rifle, Optima

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2012, 04:17:06 AM »
I went ahead and took the plunge. No regrets here. The stand is sturdy and very stable when properly weighted. The mounting system works well when using the metal base plate(one supplied) but the wood plate supplied is a bit soft. I plan to use it as a template to cut some out of oak or maple.
Overall, another inovative and practical design from Lee.

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2012, 03:35:44 AM »
Update... Had to move my reloading setup for new flooring installation, the Lee Stand and metal bench plate made it very easy. I know I sound like a Lee ad but this stand is a very attractive combination of sturdiness and portability. It is exactly what I was looking for.

Offline mdi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2012, 09:39:19 AM »
My Workmate set-up was sturdy and served me for a few years until I got a dedicated reloading area (10x14 Tuff Shed). I had some scrap counter top (heavy 3/4" stuff at 24"X30") and screwed a 2x4 to the bottom. Bolted my press to the top and clamped top in the Workmate. Sturdy enough to reload anything I reloaded (full length size bottle necked cartridges and sizeing bullets). Disassembled it would easily fit in a closet (just remove top/press from Workmate and fold Workmate for storage. Bullets, Powder, scale, primers and some dippers fit in a large plastic shoebox and bulk storage of components was out in the shed. Workmate held press and reloading block. Powder, bullets, and primers were put on the dining room table. Wife didn't mind 'cause I cleaned up after myself (no lost primers in the carpet) and never got in her way!

Offline SteveHawaii

• Avid Poster
  • Having fun at the Koko Head Shooting Complex
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2012, 04:35:56 PM »
A friend of mine has one of these.  Says it works great:

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=37267/Product/Sinclair-Wooden-Press-Stand
We rarely think people have good sense unless they agree with us.
- Francois de La Rochefoucauld