Author Topic: 44 Mag accuracy question  (Read 519 times)

Offline D Humbarger

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
44 Mag accuracy question
« on: October 22, 2011, 03:03:02 PM »
A friend just got a new handi in 44 mag & the best three shot group he gets at 100 yds is around 6inches.  He's useing Winchester 240 gr ammo.  What kind of accuracy are you guys getting?
Try to look unimportant.   Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Only Handi so far is a 375 JDJ.

Offline Lon371

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • Why Not a Handi?
Re: 44 Mag accuracy question
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2011, 03:18:51 PM »
 If it is a new gun, tell him to keep on firing. Sometimes they shoot good out of the box. Sometimes it may take 100 rounds to break in. Also have him pull the forend off and put a rubber oring on the stud. Cheap but effective way to free float the barrel. Have him also clean all the oil OFF the barrel latch(barrel and reciever)
Have him read the FAQ, Loads of great tips.

To answere your question, 2" at 100 yds. But I am not steady by any means.

Lonny

Offline Bull Nutria

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2011, 03:45:40 PM »
well i feel your pain, i have a new 44mag handi and it is not a "tack driver" , i read the stickys and did put an o ring under the forend screw. I have shot it about  150 rounds or so. after the first 125 rounds i had my gunsmith do a trigger job.
 I went to the range today and was sadly disapointed. Best i could do was 3-4 inch group at 100yds today, with the white box Win 240 JSP., i have tried the Rem 180 JSP and the Hornady 225 leverevolution FTP. the order of accuracy was Win then Hornady then REM.
I have tried reloads with the 225 FTP hornadies , and 240 SWC cast bullets(woefully inaccurate).
My bore is .4305 to .431 or so) A forum member suggested leaving the rifle bore dirty, says his accuracy improved, i tried that and mine seemed to improve until today. I plan to try some .430 jacketed bullets if i can find them at Cabelas tommorow.

Be sure to loctite the scope mount rail mine was loose from the factory and made the scope bounce all over (that wasted about 50 rds mostly reloads) then i had a defective scope( another 30 rounds wasted). I have the black plastic model.

I did get a 2inch group once at 50 yds and a 2.5 inch group at 100 yds once both with the Win 240g JSP.I plan to sand the barrel channel and check that my o ring is in place doing its job. I shoot off sand bags on a concrete table. my 7mm08  groups well so it the 44mag  Handi not me!!

If anyone has any suggestions on how to wring a little accuracy out of this 44mag handi i am all ears!!

Bull

Offline Jimbo47

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2011, 03:45:56 PM »
Your rifle can do much better, and a lot has to do with the ammo, and what your rifle likes.

Lot's of folks shoot a rifle right out of the box with the first box of ammo they buy, and some get lucky and the rifle likes what they feed it.

In your example his rifle may not.

It can get expensive trying to find the right load or brand buying manufactured ammo, and like Lonny suggested the barrel needs a few, and sometimes a lot of break in rounds.

Check the FAQ's at the top of the page and it will tell you how to break in a barrel and also all about accurizing and it's all there.

Before you get too deep in debt buying ammo you might want to try the "O" ring, and check for oil on the latch shelf and then pick up a box of Remington or some other fairly inexpensive ammo and try those tricks first and see if it improves, but you should at least expect around 2 to 2 1/2" with a green gun, what the factory claims it should do.

The FAQ's give a lot of info, and there are other options that you can check back to the forum after another range report or two.

If all else fails you can send call CS and they may have you send it in.
My culled down Handi's are the 45-70, and then I have a few others to keep it company...357 Mag/Max. .45 LC/.454 Casull Carbine, .243 Ultra, and 20 gauge Tracker II.

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2011, 03:57:21 PM »
You say you are using sand bags.  This is a very bad idea usually.  The handi-rifle with it's break design usually does best when supported at a single point just ahead of the trigger guard.  I actually shoot mine typically off a table with elbow rest only.  I use one thumb and finger just ahead of the trigger to hold it at front and then only contact at trigger and stock.  My BC shoots groups like this when held this way at 100 yards.  ;)

The .45 LC CLassic Carbine did this the other day off hand standing at 50 yards with a bit of a cross wind:

Definitely MOD (minute of deer)  hehe.  ;)

Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.