Author Topic: Correct Full Disassembly Reference?  (Read 854 times)

Offline flmason

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Correct Full Disassembly Reference?
« on: October 22, 2011, 09:58:07 PM »
Hi All,
   Sorry to be hitting the board so hard, new toy and all.

Anyone know the location of a good procedure or even a youtube on tearing down a Pardner break open to every piece?

Would like to know how it's done and eventually do the full inspection on mine.

Anyone know the rule for pushing pins out? I thought there was a general rule like "always from left to right" or similar?

Would hate to inadvertently pound the heck out of her for no reason.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: Correct Full Disassembly Reference?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2011, 01:26:43 AM »
Hi All,

Anyone know the location of a good procedure or even a youtube on tearing down a Pardner break open to every piece?

Anyone know the rule for pushing pins out? I thought there was a general rule like "always from left to right" or similar?

Good morning,
 YES what you need is to look in the FAQ's.

Tim has done a bang up job moving and linking threads in one place to easily search the common issues such as yours.

Grab a cup of coffee and sit for a spell you will find it a MUCH more!!

Good luck,
 CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 09:55:51 AM »
BIG NOTE: The pins are splined one one side. YOU look at it close SO you see it and know.
I know a guy that just pounded splined pins all the way thru an action......BAD FORM
He laughed about it, but I wouldnt want to have been the guy buying that one off a gun show table.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2011, 11:11:23 AM »
Download Perklo's trigger job instructions(link in the FAQs trigger hone section), it has very detailed instructions on what to do and how to do it right.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2011, 01:36:00 PM »
Download Perklo's trigger job instructions(link in the FAQs trigger hone section), it has very detailed instructions on what to do and how to do it right.

Tim

Step by step how to that WORKS! Print it out, and after 4 or 5 times donate it, as you will have it memorized.....

Ben

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline flmason

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2011, 06:43:54 PM »
Hi All,

Good morning,
 YES what you need is to look in the FAQ's.

Tim has done a bang up job moving and linking threads in one place to easily search the common issues such as yours.

Grab a cup of coffee and sit for a spell you will find it a MUCH more!!

Good luck,
 CW

Thanks much. Good to know it's really there. I leafed through the FAQs visually and guess I missed it.

Offline flmason

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2011, 06:47:23 PM »

Tim

Step by step how to that WORKS! Print it out, and after 4 or 5 times donate it, as you will have it memorized.....

Ben

Ben

Thanks much. Thanks all for the tips about the splined pins. Inexpensive as these guns are, I don't see any point in busting them up. Kind of actually have an affection for thier simplicity. Would've preferred that they had screws, rather than pins, like in some of the other, older break actions I've had a chance to use over the years. :)

Offline flmason

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2011, 08:03:09 PM »
Wow, was that a surprise. For such an apparently simple design on the surface... that's the messiest disassembly/reassembly I have ever seen. No militlary type gun I've ever owned, including antiquish single action revolvers seems as finicky, LOL!

I was expecting something along the lines of a Navy Colt but with wire springs. But geez, that intergrated trigger guard etc. I'm thinking some of the older designs might actually be better from the "tear 'em downd and fully clean them every time out" perspective. Which has always been my personal procedure.

Maybe I'm going to have to make an exception, LOL! That pump action Pardner is lookin' better all the time. :)

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2011, 04:53:09 AM »
Due to the design these dont get blowback residue, etc. into the action, and unless you are in a disty/dirty/muddy environment there isnt much sense in pulling them down often (a spout spray cleaner is your friend, and even that infrequently).
Set yourself free..........dont worry about it!
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline flmason

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2011, 10:42:58 AM »
Due to the design these dont get blowback residue, etc. into the action, and unless you are in a disty/dirty/muddy environment there isnt much sense in pulling them down often (a spout spray cleaner is your friend, and even that infrequently).
Set yourself free..........dont worry about it!

Just curious, does that plastic trigger guard ever have any issues with cleaners? Was surprised to find out it was more than just a trigger guard, that it's somewhat an intergrated housing. I realize they make a metal one, but depending on how complex the inside looks when I take it out. Looks like an interesting thing to try to fabricate in something more durable.

I've had trouble with some of the older designs. Particularly the foreign made Colt repros. Spring breakage mostly, so I guess I tend to want to keep the inards spotless and know the condition of the parts.

Have to say, I was suprised to see how little metal is on the one side of the sear on the hammer in Perklo's photos.

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2011, 12:18:17 PM »
Be careful with the spray cleaners...some will dissolve plastic.  I've used the Remington label successfully....and I've tried brake cleaner...that is a no no! :o

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2011, 12:49:13 PM »
In my years as mechanic, and my hobby in gunsmithing, I have discovered that one is best served by starting by reading labels. After that, I like to use as 'soft' a cleaner as is needed for the job, escalating the harshness as needed, and being conscious of the materials Im working on, as well as myself. Even something as humble as WD-40 is a decent flush for most things like this.
Anything that says it may harm stock finishes I usually stay away from.
FWIW, the Vietnam War era milsurp bug dope will ruin some plastics, stock finishes and maybe your polycarbonate glasses lenses.
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special