Author Topic: If you are going to MAX...  (Read 579 times)

Offline Monteria

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Avid Poster
If you are going to MAX...
« on: October 23, 2011, 07:15:35 AM »
Why not go all the way to Herrett?

Other than ease, is there a good reason that everyone reams to max instead of Herrett? It seems that, if the extra juice is what you are after, another couple hundred FPS should be worth the cost of some dies and brass.

The only real draw back that I can see is reduced flexibility. Obviously, you can no longer shoot 38s in a Herrett.

What say you?

Offline parson48

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
Re: If you are going to MAX...
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2011, 08:06:36 AM »
A lot of folks, myself included, hunt in Indiana, where case length limitations of 1.625" will not allow the Herret. Next year that limit is set to raise to 1.80". That will open up several possibilities for hunters.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 08:15:55 AM »
If you're gonna spend the additional money for a rechamber and dies, might as well get your money's worth in performance and go to 35 Rem or even the 358 Win IF you have an SB2 357mag, I wouldn't do them or the Herrett on an SB1 frame. The Maximum's advantage are new dies aren't usually required and the cost is only $25 for the reamer donation and shipping plus the new brass.  ;) My 35 Rem (rechambered SB2 357 Maxi) averages over 2450fps with the 180gr SSP.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Monteria

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2011, 09:16:41 AM »
Good points. I hadn't even known about the state laws, we can shoot deer with any centerfire, from .17 to 50BMG in Texas.

Quick, I see your point. But, forgot a key piece of info... Would it change your opinion to know it would be a 16.25" shorty?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2011, 09:30:55 AM »
The SB2 frame would be the first consideration, moot point if it's an SB1. The 35 Rem has more capacity at 51gr water compared to 42gr for the Herrett, the old adage there's no replacement for displacement still holds true regardless of barrel length.  ;)

Tim

http://www.leverguns.com/articles/fryxell/35_remington.htm
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2011, 09:58:59 AM »
I dont know the Herrett, but the absolute ease of reloading the 357 Mag and .357Max with the same carbide dies is what I want.
Oh, and if you want the real deal, get the 38-55.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline Monteria

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2011, 10:02:10 AM »
Understood. I thought there may be some consideration for efficiency and/or noise level. Obviously, there is a point of deminnishing returns for every extreme, personal desire setting the threshold of each. Which still leaves me pondering between the max and Herrett.

Besides, if I wanted that much out of a 35, I'd stick with my 35 Whelen AI :)

Maybe I will just start by getting my name on the Max list, and move up later if I want too. That's a whole lot easier than going back :)

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2011, 11:47:36 AM »
I had a Herrett and preferer the Maxi.
 Virtually the same velocities, advantage of firing smaller cartridges, Got to use the SAME dies as I already owned, NO head spacing issues. NO case forming, (Easier to load) its more efficient with powder, less recoil, and it shoots just as accurately. Whats not to prefer!! ;)

IIRC Eskimo36 has a Handi in Herett and like is fine.

I had allot of issues with head space, I cured most loading issues moving to the rim but accuracy was off. I also had problems with scope moving, then shearing screws off the mount. Bigger screws and a third ring curred them. Then the Maxi came to be... I bought a barrel and the rest if history. ;)

To each his own, I liked the idea of the Herrett and have allot of respect for Steve Herett and  Bob Milek's pets the 30 and 35 Herett's.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline quasne.inc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2011, 12:36:55 PM »
I will NEVER ream my .357 mag to max when I get it.  Because then I wont have an excuse for why I NEED a .30-30.  And I know you dont need a reason, but those that are married know that if its not a need then I cant get it. 

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2011, 12:42:47 PM »
I dont know the Herrett, but the absolute ease of reloading the 357 Mag and .357Max with the same carbide dies is what I want.
Oh, and if you want the real deal, get the 38-55.

The .38-55 is my "Maxi Long Rifle".  It shoots better than I can.  It keeps telling me "Pilot error.....again."

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491