Author Topic: CVA Hunter Magnum  (Read 1031 times)

Offline Jim Thomas

• Trade Count: (0)
CVA Hunter Magnum
« on: October 23, 2011, 10:07:43 AM »
 Grains of powder recamendations for 50 cal. roundball.  Thank You for any replies

Offline parson48

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
Re: CVA Hunter Magnum
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 04:15:38 AM »
I have a different rifle, but I get good results with 80 gr. of loose powder or pyrodex when shooting roundballs.

Round ball twists are typically very slow. I don't know if you'll get acceptable accuracy with anything faster than 1:48.

Never hurts to try. Good luck.

Offline Rick Teal

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2011, 01:06:44 PM »
I assume you're referring to the "Hunterbolt".

The previous owner of my gun used only T7 pellets, and shot 3 in the gun.  I plan to shoot it for the first time next week, but I'm looking at 2 pellets.

Before the advent of in-lines, the "rule-of-thumb" used to be 1 grain of black powder per calibre, not to exceed 2 grains per calibre.  I used to shoot 71 grains of 2F in my .45 calibre sidelock.  My guess is that something between 50 and 100 grains of BP in your hunterbolt would be a safe and acceptable load.  I'd play with loads in that range 'till I'm satisfied with accuracy and velocity.
Hunting is Exciting!  Bolt actions are BORING!!
Don't mix the two!

Offline possume

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2011, 05:41:36 AM »
or is it a eclipse hunter magnum ? thats what i have i shoot some round ball in warm weather i use 85 gr loose powder shoot ok but not like a sabboted bullet

Offline Rick Teal

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2011, 02:19:52 PM »
Shot my Hunterbolt today.

Used 2 whitehots behind 245 grain powerbelts.  After i switched sights I was able to dial it in quickly, and then it drove tacks.  Who says powerbelts are inaccurate?  ;D
Hunting is Exciting!  Bolt actions are BORING!!
Don't mix the two!

Offline mike243

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 11:15:14 PM »
if its a hunterbolt i never shot any round balls thru mine but too much powder with throw a bad group,the book also stated if shooting mag loads to not go over a 300g bullet.i had great luck shooting 2 -50g & 1 -30g pyro pellets.my son now hunts with it & uses 100g 777 & a 295g powerbelt,our muzzleloader season starts saturday.good luck
rimfires forever