Author Topic: Looking to build my first AR and considering Del-Ton. Are they Quality?  (Read 1297 times)

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
I'm considering my first AR build and I've got my heart set on building a disapator. I'd like to have to bragging rights of having built my own, but I also like the idea of buyign a kit with all the little parts that I'd need so I keep the part manufacturers uniform, and also so I don't forget something and have some hidden costs I wasn't planning on.

In looking for a disapator configuration I came across the Del-ton kits. For the just under $500 with everything but a stripped lower it seems like a good fit for what I'm after.

Do any of you guys have a Del-ton or any experience with one of their rifles?

Offline ratdog

• Trade Count: (1)
built a delton and a rock river.deltons are great shooters and reasonably priced can't go wrong watch brownell's video on building an ar

Offline 84Jim

• Avid Poster
Re: Looking to build my first AR and considering Del-Ton. Are they Quality?
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2011, 03:40:46 AM »
Teddy,

I built a Delton M4 on an Aeroprecision stripped lower about 1 1/2 years ago.  100% reliable and a deal for the money.  I put a spare Jewell trigger I had laying around on it, so I can't speak about the one they supplied.  Otherwise, I'd say go for it!

Jim

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 04:50:20 PM »
Hey guys,
   Since I posted this back in October I did end up buying the Del-Ton Dissipator kit.  I have to say that I am completely happy with it.  Yesterday was my second day with it at the range and I put just shy of 300 rounds through it without letting the barrel cool and I never had a problem with it.  The rifle has just over 500 rounds through it now after the two range trips, and it's been 100%.  I honestly don't know why I never bought one of these kits sooner.  I will buy another one for sure.

Here it is before I put on the magpul stuff:

In this first picture it's 100% the delton kit with the addition of the LMT rear sight.  As it sits it was about $625.

Here it is after I couldn't leave well enough alone:

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
Good to hear everything went well with the Del-Ton build...I am looking in to purchasing from them in the near future.  As far as Magpul goes, I can relate...All of my black rifles have something from Magpul on them or in them.
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
Yeah, it's a good rifle and I'm happy with it, but I just can't seem to quit messing with it.  Since the last photo, I've changed the charging handle to a BCM gunfighter handle which is so much better and easier to use that it's not even funny.  I've also put a XS illuminated front sight post on it and that's awesome with just enough glow in the darkness to be exactly what I was hoping for.  There's also a dark earth MOE stock and a pistol grip on it, along with a flashlight on the side.  The rifle is eactly where I want it to be and I consider it about 99% finished.  I may put a lighter trigger spring in it, but I haven't decided yet. 

Even though it's got a bunch of Magpul stuff on it, all that does is make it fit my body better.  Otherwise it's just a simple rifle that's setup in case I have to wake up in the middle of the night.

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
Yup, that is another issue with an AR platform...The plethora of aftermarket parts that you can add on or replace factory parts with.  They really are never truly "done."  But, you can make that AR unique and truly yours in the process.
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline 223fan

• Trade Count: (26)
  • Avid Poster
I'm also looking at a  Del-Ton disapater kit and was wondering what kind of ammo you are running in your rifle?I have read that you need hotter ammo to make them function right because they have a 20" gas tube on a 16"barrel.What kind of accurracy are you getting & whats the trigger like?
XLI the one to go with.

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
The only ammo I've shot through mine is federal american eagle tactical 55gr fmj. handloaded 55gr Hornady SP w/C, and handloaded 69gr sierra matchkings.  I've never had a single hickup with my rifle reliability wise.  I don't really care for the steel cased ammo even though it's cheaper.  I think regular brass cased ammo is close enough in price but so much more superior in quality than the other less expensive ammo's out there.  My intention is to gravitate all my ammo supplies to 69gr matchking handloads.  Most of the guys who complain about a rifle length gas system are either internet experts who've never owned one or are trying to sell you something different.  I had the same concern before purchasing, but I can honestly say to you and anyone else reading this to buy with confidence.

As far as accuracy goes, this may be the first rifle in the history of me buying guns where I didn't set the rifle up to max out it's accuracy potential.  What I mean by that is that I chose to put on the magpul MOE forend instead of something free floating.  I put on an XS illuminated front sight post that made the front sight post fatter and harder to shoot accurately at distance.  I also haven't touched the trigger and it feels just like a mil-spec trigger.  I will be buying a JP trigger spring kit to lighten up the trigger though just because for $10 it's almost crazy not to.  The range I go to has steel targets every 100 yards from 100 to 1000 yards and so far I've only gone as far as 400 yards.  Having said all of that, I think the rifle is accurate, and the way I've got it setup I'm probably around the 1.5" - 2" groups at 100 yards if I were to go out and measure them.  Once I do the trigger spring job that'll make a big improvement on any rifle and then I'll shoot some groups at 100 yards to see what kind of accuracy I'm really getting and report back. 

The last trip to the range I did a lot of mag dumps with the intention of getting the barrel hot and dirty.  I basically laid there and pounded the steel at 300 yards with round after round and mag after mag until I was out of ammo.  I was really happy with the accuracy because it was a profile sized target and I was getting hit after hit after hit.  I wouldn't be scared away from this rifle kit because of concerns over lack of accuracy.  I think if you set it up with a free float forend and a good trigger you should be around the 3/4" at 100 yards range pretty easily with good ammo.

Offline 223fan

• Avid Poster
Thanks,I'm gonna give this a try.
XLI the one to go with.

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2012, 03:36:02 AM »
I think you'll be happy with it!

Offline jmb1911

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2012, 12:18:16 PM »
Just to add my .02.  I have a Del Ton upper on my AR.  Have run everything from cheap steel case to premium match ammo.  Everything ran through it without a hiccup.  They are good to go.

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2012, 02:40:43 AM »
As it sits now:

Offline Avyctes

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2012, 04:18:48 AM »
I like it.  I finished my first build last year, and like you I ended up going with Magpul stuff to finish it out.  I got rid of the cheap looking collapsible stock that came with the buffer tube kit and the DPMS Glacier Guard hand guards, and went with a CTR buttstock and the MOE handguards, which I think give it more of a top shelf look.

"There exists a law, not written down anywhere, but in our hearts.. that, if our lives are endangered by plots or violence or armed robbers or enemies, any and every method of protecting ourselves is morally right."
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Offline ratdog

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2012, 08:56:24 PM »
i have built two ar's one delton one rock river arms it has a floated 20'' stainless barrel will shoot threw same hole at 100 yrds but it is too heavy for me to pack around so i built the delton with 18'' barrel much easier handeling shoots clover leafs at 100 yards has a timney trigger.i shoot 55 grn or 62 grn bullets the 62's shoot best my reloads they shoot  best in mine.deltons are quality.

Offline 223fan

• Avid Poster
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2012, 02:14:18 PM »
I looked at there site they have some good configurations.I really like the 14.5"bbl. with the pinned compensator.I still have a few weeks till I finish it.Decisions...
XLI the one to go with.