Author Topic: Cast bullets assortment for slugging?  (Read 762 times)

Offline wileynet

• Trade Count: (30)
  • Contributor
Cast bullets assortment for slugging?
« on: October 26, 2011, 03:25:21 PM »
was just referred to this post from another, fixin to jump off into cast bullet reloading, does anybody have  1 or two cast bullets they could drop in a envelope, for slugging that seems to be a requirement before i start buying a bunch of bullets and or molds?
357, 308, 30-06, 45-70, 303 smle, 45 acp,45 LC
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -Thomas Jefferson

Huntsman 58,NEF 45/70 manlicher stock, H&R 308, 30-06, 12 ga, 20 ga, H&R 223, H&R 204 varmiter,H&R 243, H&R 44mag, SMLE No 1 MKIV,SMLE No4 MK1, Savage 110 7mm, Ruger BH 45LC, Security Six, SR9, S&W 22a, CVA MTN Rifle, Optima

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: Cast bullets assortment for slugging?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 06:53:48 PM »
I personally don't agree it is necessary or even needed. I've never slugged a bore yet and have been successfully shooting cast bullets at least 40 years perhaps longer.

If you slug tho you want a pure lead or nearly pure lead slug NOT a hard cast bullet which such a request is likely to generate. You might get that hard cast stuck in the bore trying to push it thru as you do when slugging. It might not but still a swaged NOT a cast bullet would be the one if you were gonna.

Veral Smith a GBO Sponsor sells small quantities of bullets for slugging bores.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline wileynet

• Trade Count: (30)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 09:01:26 PM »
thanks for the info, going to take my boy to albq. tommorow for another round of skin grafts going to look around for some cast bullets.
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -Thomas Jefferson

Huntsman 58,NEF 45/70 manlicher stock, H&R 308, 30-06, 12 ga, 20 ga, H&R 223, H&R 204 varmiter,H&R 243, H&R 44mag, SMLE No 1 MKIV,SMLE No4 MK1, Savage 110 7mm, Ruger BH 45LC, Security Six, SR9, S&W 22a, CVA MTN Rifle, Optima

Offline res45

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 07:37:17 AM »
I just use the appropriate size egg sinker,you want to get a nice little lead ring around it  when you tap it into the muzzle end of the bore so you know it's filling the grooves.  If the sinker needs to be a bit larger stand it on end and give it a few taps with you mallet to fatten it up.

I run a lightly oiled patch down the bore and grease the slug well before pushing it through with a hardwood dowel or brass rod.  Commercial cast bullet for the most part work in lots of gun but on occasion you will get a bore that is just oversized and the commercial cast bullet is just to hard to obturate and fill the grooves properly,I've had and have a couple firearms that are just like that. 
Linux Mint Mate 15

Offline Bob J

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2011, 09:46:24 AM »
I usually cast a number of bullets in dead soft lead just for slugging....  Long bullets (rifle rounds) I usually clip in half using a set of wire cutters before using those.....  I lube the bore and bullet both very well and then drive the bullet home using a soft faced mallet like this one:

http://www.harborfreight.com/soft-face-mallet-39528.html

For obvious reasons you want to keep anything steel away from your crown and bore......

I then use a brass rod (and the hammer of course) to drive the slug through the entire length of the barrel...  Once the slug is through I measure the diameter with a 1" micrometer....  Each slug is then put in a small plastic bag, labeled with the gun and measured diameter and saved in case I need a reference in the future.....

I've done this on most of my guns and over time have only found it to be necessary (given the results) on my milsup stuff....   

Offline Reverend Recoil

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2011, 04:44:10 AM »
I have used muzzle loading 32, 36, and 45 cal lead balls for bore slugging.  They are quite soft.  They can be bumped up in size by slightly mashing them with a hammer.  I think there are two sizes of 36 cal balls.  One is 0.350" and the other is 0.375".  The 45 cal ones are 0.451" and 0.457".

Offline anachronism

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2011, 05:23:44 AM »
You will want dead soft lead for slugging. Alloys containing antimony have a bit of "memory", and spring back a bit after being compressed. I too use egg sinkers for this.