Author Topic: .35 Rem Question  (Read 458 times)

Offline Suds1957

• Trade Count: (0)
.35 Rem Question
« on: October 27, 2011, 06:20:28 AM »
  Starting next Fall in Indiana, the case measurement is going to change[increase] to 1.8", for deer hunting. I was wondering if a person who reloads would be able to trim a .35 rem case from the 1.92", to 1.8", and still be safe shooting the new lenght case from a model 7600 Rem. in .35rem. Would there be any issues with SAFETY. Has anyone tried this?   Wife would be pi++ed if I killed myself! 

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: .35 Rem Question
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 06:28:53 AM »
There was just a bigoround on the H&R area on this exact topic!!

Apparently Indiana law is quite different. As anywhere I go a caliber MUST be commercially available. And then not capable of firing a cartridge that is not legal. IE simply trimming a case to spec would never cut it.

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,241666.0.html

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline hoghunting

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 07:30:23 AM »
Starting next Fall in Indiana, the case measurement is going to change[increase] to 1.8", for deer hunting

Are you sure that it is not a 1.8" minimum case length? There will be many cartridges that can't be used if the case length has to be 1.8"

Offline Suds1957

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 08:19:45 AM »
   You can use the .35rem in a pistol to hunt deer, but not in a rifle. So, they increased the lenght in get more cartridges legal. As a matter of fact, they have come up with I think a new wildcat that fits all of the rules in 35 cal.  I was just trying not to buy a differant rifle, if this would work. I didnt think about it holding[shooting] the one that was not legal. If you only had the 1.8" cartridges on you at that time, with no others on your person , would that be legal? Just thinking.   Thanks to both.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2011, 08:25:25 AM »
I added a link to post in NEF H&R section I told you about.  Read up hopefully it will answer your questions.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Suds1957

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2011, 09:36:09 AM »
  Thanks Longshot.

Offline hoghunting

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2011, 04:16:13 AM »
 If you need factory ammo with the 1.8" case length, you might want to check Hornady's LeveRevolution .35 Rem. Since this ammo uses a soft-pointed bullet, the case is shorter for the correct OAL. Not sure how much shorter, but it might solve your problem.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2011, 07:28:51 AM »
if cutting is legal it wont effect any other aspect of the loaded round. I shoot 7mags sized in a 257 wby die to form weatherby rounds and there at least a .10 of an inch short and they work just as good as anything else.
blue lives matter

Offline Suds1957

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2011, 05:10:07 AM »
So if I understand correctly, the shorter case will not affect saftey as far as headspace, pressures, ect...  Also, does anyone know for sure about only having 1.8" loaded ammo on your person while hunting, the legal aspects?