Author Topic: Who is seeing deer movement?  (Read 534 times)

Offline tedinwv

• Trade Count: (0)
Who is seeing deer movement?
« on: October 28, 2011, 05:18:12 AM »
I've been out about once a week mostly in Meigs and Athens Counties for the past three weeks and haven't seen much going on.  Yesterday was rainy and not a good day at all.  What is everyone else seeing?

Offline smokehouserex

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: Who is seeing deer movement?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2011, 05:36:32 AM »
  Hello tedinwv:
  I have been seeing deer every couple of days at 8'oclock AM, and around 9AM. In the eve. it's been about 530 PM.
  It may/most probably is, the same bunch, about 4-5 each time except I did see a small rag-horn at 9AM the other morning by himself. I have not been hunting them but have seen them while I was going to the smokehouse in the back yard.
  The buck was trying to mt. a doe the other day but she wasn't quite ready. Here the rut is going on now.
   I'm in central SC so things may be different with you.
   I don't know if this is of any value but I hope it helps.
   safety first
   HM

Offline DennyRoark

• Trade Count: (6)
  • A Real Regular
    • The Ohio Outdoorsman
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2011, 10:50:47 AM »
The bucks are running/fighting here in Wyandot Co.  Scrapes and rubs showing up every where.  Got a trail cam vid of 2 average bucks sparring last Monday.  Saw 3 NICE ones Thursday night.  Does every couple of days about a half hour before sunset.  Got 2 near Booners running around my place...not interested in shooting a doe right now!
Denny Roark
Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals)
The Second Amendment...the one that makes all the others possible
I have no problems with vegetarians...I eat them regularly-Ted Nugent
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -Thomas Jefferson

Offline Grumulkin

• Trade Count: (33)
    • http://www.orchardphoto.com
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2011, 01:19:05 PM »
I am.

I was on my front porch last evening with my crossbow.  Two does came running through my yard and then went down to where a buck was feeding by my driveway.  I thought they had smelled me but they came racing back, frolicked around a bit in my front yard and then went down to the buck again.  They never slowed down enough for me to get a shot.

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2011, 02:47:17 PM »
On the large farm I hunt in Fairfield county almost all of the corn is still up because of the rain the last few weeks.  The does and  young deer are staying in the corn fields and out of the small perimeter wood lots and tree lines.  The bucks are solitary and actively working rubs and scraps in the woods.  The larger bucks are pretty much noctural.  It will be interesting hunting once the combines remove the corn.

BB
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.