Author Topic: there are a few , but not many  (Read 330 times)

Offline XD40SC

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
there are a few , but not many
« on: October 31, 2011, 09:42:51 AM »
www.gallup.com/poll/122672/Conservative-Democrats...September 2, 2009Conservative Democrats, Liberal Republicans Hard to FindAbout half of Americans follow conventional pairings of ideology and partyby Frank NewportPRINCETON, NJ -- Conservative white Democrats and moderate/liberal white Republicans are relatively rare creatures in the contemporary American political environment; 6% of Americans meet the former definition, and 11% the latter. Almost half of Americans, on the other hand, fit into the more conventional segments of moderate/liberal white Democrats or conservative white Republicans.
dblnvzkz5ka2izmhvvbb4g
There has been a good deal of discussion recently about the polarization of American politics -- the division of the body politic into battling camps of left-leaning Democrats and right-leaning Republicans, with few members of either party occupying the middle. In some observers' opinions, this contrasts with previous eras, during which there was more ideological diversity within the ranks of those who identified with each major party. Although some of this discussion focuses on the composition of the House and Senate, it is of parallel interest to look at the state of the overall American population along these same political and ideological lines.
The current Gallup analysis examines more than 47,000 interviews Gallup conducted from July to mid-August 2009, and focuses primarily on the combination of party and ideology among the 72% of American adults who are non-Hispanic whites. (The ideology and partisanship of blacks, Hispanics, and other ethnic and racial groups will be examined in future Gallup analyses.)
As seen above, white Americans indeed tend to group themselves into what can be called conventional political categories: Democrats (including independents who lean Democratic) who are moderate or liberal, and Republicans (including independents who lean Republican) who are conservative. Of all white Democrats, those who are moderate or liberal outnumber conservatives (sometimes called Blue Dog Democrats) by a 4-to-1 margin. On the other side of the political spectrum, by way of comparison, conservative Republicans outnumber moderate/liberal Republicans by a better-than 2-to-1 margin. A small segment of white Americans are "pure" independents who do not lean toward either political party.
Who Are the Conservative Democrats?
Generally, the ratio of conservative white Democrats to moderate/liberal white Democrats is highest in the following groups:
  • Older Americans
  • Less well-educated Americans
  • Lower-income Americans
  • More religious Americans
In short, the universe of white Democrats in these population segments skews disproportionately toward conservative Democrats. There are no significant differences by gender, and only in the West are conservative Democrats somewhat less likely to be found on a proportionate basis than in other regions of the country.
bc5kojbhk0kbvfgm
Who Are the Moderate/Liberal Republicans?
Moderate/liberal white Republicans have a proportionately larger share of the following segments of the Republican population:
  • Women
  • Less well-educated Americans
  • Those with lower incomes
  • Those living in the East
  • The young
  • Those for whom religion is not important

Offline DDZ

Re: there are a few , but not many
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 12:00:43 PM »
When I first saw the title conservative democrats, I thought "what the heck is a conservative democrat. Then I realized it must be someone like my Father-in-law. Who has a sense for what is right and wrong, but has held the idea that the democrats are for the people, and want to help them. Where the conservatives are just for the rich people. I have known him for 37 years now and nothing I have said ever began to change his mind. Its like the idea is burned into his brain. I try to tell him that the democrats he voted for in the 50's are not the same democrats today.
So politics is never spoken of when I'm in his company. Not from me anyway. He still rambles on about the crooked republicans, then I just nod my head. its easier that way. He is an Italian Catholic, and the majority of them vote for democrats come hell or high water. Doesn't seem to matter what their beliefs are, when it comes to voting, democrats are it. Take for instance all the catholics that voted for Obama. I'm kind of confused about why they do so, but I guess they are confused because they vote for democrats.   

Those people who will not be governed by God will be ruled by tyrants.    Wm. Penn

Offline XD40SC

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 12:58:10 PM »
I have known him for 37 years now and nothing I have said ever began to change his mind. Its like the idea is burned into his brain.
Now that there is funny. I don't care who you are considering the open mindedness of some here.

Offline gypsyman

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2011, 01:05:38 PM »
DDZ, I can share the feeling of being confused. I know of a few Catholics that voted for Obama, even with his stand on abortion. I guess they care more about not looking prejudiced, than a human life.gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline DDZ

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2011, 02:07:33 PM »
I have known him for 37 years now and nothing I have said ever began to change his mind. Its like the idea is burned into his brain.
Now that there is funny. I don't care who you are considering the open mindedness of some here.

XD, I guess that is a bit of a jab, but what he has burned into his brain is voting for democrats, and he does not realize that their ideas are wrong ideas. Many here on this forum do have their conservatism etched in stone, and will not wavier from it, but conservatism is the standard. The standard being, is the ideas that this country was founded on, and the democratic platform certainly doesn't come close to that standard. The republicans have drifted from that standard also. It isn't a matter of democrats and republicans. Its a matter of right and wrong based on the founding principles of this country, which is the standard. I don't believe in open mindedness when it comes to right and wrong. Its either one or the other.   

Gypsyman, Our pastor in a sermon a couple of weeks ago was speaking on the Ten Commandants. When speaking on "Thou Shall Not Kill" He told the congregation that "some of you may say to yourself, well, I never killed anyone, so therefore I'm good on that sin. Then he went on to say that "if you ever voted for someone that allows abortion or promotes it , then some of that blood is on your hands". Its something I have believed, and something I will always believe.     
Those people who will not be governed by God will be ruled by tyrants.    Wm. Penn

Offline powderman

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2011, 03:06:04 PM »
Gypsyman, Our pastor in a sermon a couple of weeks ago was speaking on the Ten Commandants. When speaking on "Thou Shall Not Kill" He told the congregation that "some of you may say to yourself, well, I never killed anyone, so therefore I'm good on that sin. Then he went on to say that "if you ever voted for someone that allows abortion or promotes it , then some of that blood is on your hands". Its something I have believed, and something I will always believe. 

DDZ. Good for your Pastor, sounds like mine. He spoke the truth. POWDERMAN.  ;D ;D
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm