Author Topic: Youth rifle to grow with  (Read 493 times)

Offline mostlyaccurate

• Trade Count: (0)
Youth rifle to grow with
« on: October 31, 2011, 01:50:51 PM »
Looking to get my Grandson a 7mm-08.  He'll need a youth stock for a couple years.  Thinking about a Howa 2-N-1 with youth and adult stock or Weatherby with the stock wedge.  I really don't want to go less than a 20" barrel and would prefer 22".  I've given some thought to single shots but probably going with a bolt action.  Any other good ideas out there?

Offline spruce

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Youth rifle to grow with
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 01:45:32 PM »
Buy a full size rifle then buy a youth model stock for it?

Some may require opening up the barrel channel a little if the youth model rifle has a slimmer contour barrel and/or the hole for the forearm screw may need to be relocated???

Offline ONE HOLE 4570

• Trade Count: (33)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 07:48:22 AM »
7-08 is a great rifle, bought my son one when he was 10 now 14, model 7 youth 7-08, I hand loaded for it & loaded it down to start by upped the charge each year until last when he could go full house loads

got his first buck (other tan a nub)  this weekend public land draw hunt in Oklahoma
That's my boy, GOD BLESS AMERICA!!

Offline teamnelson

• Trade Count: (30)
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 08:23:25 AM »
I'd advocate singleshots, start with a youth stock. Its also good whether they're left or right eye dominant, and you can upgrade caliber as they grow, or downgrade if they turn out to be recoil sensitive. Good job passing on the legacy!
held fast