Author Topic: Parrott Rifle in Florida  (Read 3891 times)

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
Re: Parrott Rifle in Florida
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2011, 07:30:17 AM »
My wife made me pull it out of the study. :(
But so far, she hasn't said anything about this. ;D
Zulu

CALENDAR PHOTO !!!!!

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline little seacoast

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
  • Let them get just a little closer...
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2011, 04:14:05 AM »
Need a little help here on dimensions of barbette carriages.  I have a number of pics of variations on the barbette but no firm figures on full scale dimensions.  Anyone care to estimate the total length of the carriage and the height of the vertical front supporting members?  Actually any data on dimensions that I can scale off of would be most welcomed.  This will probably be  a "field expedient" carriage since 10lb Parrotts on a barbette are a bit unlikely anyway but i would like the proportions to be near right.  Barrell is 59" including cascabel and 11" across the trunnions, 7inches rimbase to rimbase.

This is the current favorite pic due to simplicity and probable lower cost of construction- us retired guys need to keep this in mind!
America has no native criminal class except Congress.   Sam Clemens

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2011, 10:12:37 AM »
If you have full pictures of the carriage and barrel, you should be able to scale it in terms of the size of the barrel.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline little seacoast

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2011, 10:53:11 AM »
If I had full pics I wouldn't be asking, that's the only one I've got. A full on side or front view would be something I could work from.  Anyone have one or guestimates on dimensions?

Offline Zulu

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2011, 11:57:53 AM »
There are a couple of good diagrams in "Round Shot and Rammers".  Those are what I used to make mine.  That and the very good info in the above book posted by guardsrunner.
Zulu
This is my barbette carriage build thread.

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,193887.0.html
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline flagman1776

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2011, 12:15:14 PM »
 8)

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2011, 01:24:15 PM »
Don Lutz of Antique Ordnance Publishers has some barbette plans.  One of them may be what you are looking for.

http://gunneyg.info/html/AOPCatalog.htm
Norm Gibson, 1st SC Vol., ACWSA

Offline Double D

• SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2011, 01:34:15 PM »
Didn't you say this barrel  s 3/4 scale?  Get the plans form AOP and scale them 3/4

Offline rampa room artillery

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2011, 03:13:53 PM »
that sounds great, get to work, and build it out of white oak.   that would be a great gun to shoot,  hard to move but fun to shoot. I think i will have to go bigger, , you are setting the bar pretty high, for next years shoot in va.   well back the the lathe.

rick  bryan

Offline little seacoast

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2011, 04:26:40 PM »
Rick, I don't think that you'll see this one in VA, way too much trouble to move on a barbette. Eventually I'll build a #1 for it but right now the price of a good set of wheels is out of the question, just ask my wife.  I figure I can make the barbette for $500.00 or so if I'm careful. Besides there's no way I'd shoot against you and VA Rifleman- I've seen both of you shoot.
     DD, Flagman, Artilleryman, Zulu, Guardsgunner, GGaskill  thanks for the suggestions.

Offline Frank46

• A Real Regular
« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2011, 04:48:48 PM »
LS, glad to hear that my post was not taken as being a wise guy. Sometimes one types out something that may or may not come across as one intended. Guess you are going to be scrounging up a lot of oak or something similar to build your carriage. Home depot or lowes isn't going to be much help unless you glue up a lot of small pieces to make big ones and then cut up as needed. Frank

Offline little seacoast

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2011, 04:53:05 PM »
Happiness is a sawmill 5 miles down the road and an owner willing to cut to spec in return for a few shots when done.

Offline jamesfrom180

• Avid Poster
« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2011, 03:16:31 AM »
Someone have the trunnion measurements for that photo?

I paid enough money to be able to do it and would look at it as a neat challenge, so I might be able to calculate the measurements once a figure at what angle the photo was taken.
AMMA Bosslopper 1988

Offline little seacoast

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2011, 03:40:15 AM »

Thank you for the offer, the angle looks close enough to 45 degrees and the trunnion diameter would be 3" for scale purposes.

Offline jamesfrom180

• Avid Poster
« Reply #45 on: November 23, 2011, 04:46:38 AM »
Well with out the actual picture this is pretty rough but should give measurements close to an inch or so.  This range is from my own experience and I do not have a error propagation proof for it.

Using the Similar Triangle theory from Geometry and the special properties of inverse trig functions over a range of
Theta between 0 and pi(180 degrees) we arrive at

y = x / cos( theta )
     where y = length, of component in the picture
                x = length, measured directly from picture
                Theta = angle calculated, angle of carriage to focal plane of camera

Theta = cos-1(x/3")
      where x = length measured from picture of trunnion
                 3" = known dimension of trunnion (this number is wrong value 3" should be replaced with proper scaled measurement. So really this proof is flawed since you don't know the scale of the photo.)  I would guess at it and use it to approximate the values. 

Shifting the axis x and y will yield the most accurate means of measurement.  I would make all my measurements as the angle between x and y as 90 degrees.  The last assumption would be that the angle between the pictures Y axis and the Y axis of the camera focal plane would be 90 degrees also.  This results in a 1:1 relationship between height in the picture and the actual mount.   ::)

Got it?  Pretty simple, no?  Glad you grabbed that barrel as a live cannon would not have went over well with the wife had I went over to Jax. 
AMMA Bosslopper 1988

Offline Frank46

• A Real Regular
« Reply #46 on: November 23, 2011, 05:53:22 PM »
LS, sounds like a match made in heaven. Go for it. Frank

Offline VA Rifleman

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #47 on: December 08, 2011, 02:40:00 PM »
The other reason I considered it was to have a rifled bore, I was very impressed with VA Rifleman's accuracy with his 40mm Mountain Rifle @ Floyd this spring. Of course I probably won't do it if the barrel doesn't need it. For $1000.00 I'm satisfied with it.

Pete,

Great find!!!  Man thats a nice winter project you have there.  :)

Both Rampa Room Artillery and I shoot the 2.25" FS Mtn Rifle. We know the guys who make the 4140 NSSA rifled liners if you want to go that way.  I'm looking for a re-match with Rick at next years shoot. Don't tell Rampa Room, but I have a top secret, match grade cannon bolt in the works.

Very cool and please keep us updated as you go.

Bruce
Ammunition is like firewood. The more you have, the warmer you feel.

Offline rampa room artillery

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #48 on: December 08, 2011, 04:23:45 PM »
sounds like a good time,  to bad me and the mold maker are testing new designs,   i am planning on bringing a 1/2 scale parrot rifle next year to shoot against little seacoast,  it will be fun. not sure if i need to bring my mortar again, it just weights to much, unless there is a crew willing to help me.  I still think we need two shoots a year,  it feels like it has been to long ago that we all got together, 

what a great shoot.

Offline little seacoast

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #49 on: December 08, 2011, 05:26:48 PM »
That half scale sounds like fun, be nice to have something in the same class to shoot against.  Guess I'll have to get some time in on the range this winter. You and VA are just TOO good with those mountain rifles!

Offline little seacoast

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #50 on: July 03, 2012, 04:35:49 AM »
Hi, In a fit of folly I ordered the wheels for a #1 carriage yesterday, the large hub extra heavy 44" kind. The white oak has been sitting in the shop seasoning for 6 months now and shows a low enough moisture content but I'll probably let it sit another couple of months yet. The burning question now is iron work.  The stock for trunnions and cheek banding is going to be 1/4" stuff and thats too heavy to wrestle with and shape in my shop- lack the tools and the know how. So I guess the next step is to suborn a blacksmith or a machine shop with  metal bending capabilities. Anybody know of a source of ready made 3/4 scale carriage components? Thanks, LS

Offline VA Rifleman

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #51 on: July 21, 2012, 02:19:09 AM »
Little Sea Coast,

Here's someone just down the road.

Carriage parts Ltd
civil war cannon iron
1017 Russwood Dr
Knoxville, Tn 37920

865-573-8045
ken.creswell@comcast,net

Met this gentleman at this years spring NSSA nationals. Nice guy and had a fine selection of FS carriage iron. Took me a while to find his card

Va Rifleman
Ammunition is like firewood. The more you have, the warmer you feel.

Offline little seacoast

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #52 on: July 21, 2012, 03:06:28 AM »
Thanks for the tip VA, just down the road is good. I have been making a little progress in that I have found  fabricators for the trunnion plates,capsquares, the chin bolts, lunette, and elevating screw and have ordered them.  Lots of other bits and pieces still needed as you well know. I'll call this guy and see what he has. Thanks again!

Offline Double D

• SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #53 on: July 21, 2012, 09:28:08 AM »
Hi, In a fit of folly I ordered the wheels for a #1 carriage yesterday, the large hub extra heavy 44" kind. The white oak has been sitting in the shop seasoning for 6 months now and shows a low enough moisture content but I'll probably let it sit another couple of months yet. The burning question now is iron work.  The stock for trunnions and cheek banding is going to be 1/4" stuff and thats too heavy to wrestle with and shape in my shop- lack the tools and the know how. So I guess the next step is to suborn a blacksmith or a machine shop with  metal bending capabilities. Anybody know of a source of ready made 3/4 scale carriage components? Thanks, LS

I had Dom fabricate metal work for my 1/6 scale Parrott carriage.