Author Topic: Parrott Rifle in Florida  (Read 3895 times)

Offline little seacoast

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
  • Let them get just a little closer...
Parrott Rifle in Florida
« on: November 01, 2011, 08:31:25 AM »
     I'm making a guess that DD locked the thread that now resides in For Sale because there was a link to a non-member ad of an item for sale, as he should.  Continuing with the non commercial aspects of the thread I talked again with the owner and it is now apparent that this is an unsleeved cast barrel with light to moderate pitting corrosion of the bore and a couple of small chips in the muzzle.  Looks like this will require a sleeving job and a reduction of bore to something like GB or 40mm,  maybe a rifled liner?  Anyway I am going to have a look at it next week I hope.  ANY input from board members regarding this tube would be welcomed and appreciated, I've never dealt with this kind of thing before. Thanks, LS
America has no native criminal class except Congress.   Sam Clemens

Offline flagman1776

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Parrott Rifle in Florida
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 03:29:52 PM »
 8)

Offline little seacoast

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 12:57:26 AM »
I have conditionally committed to purchase this item with a right of inspection before the sale closes with just that in mind. Also negotiated a really substantial price reduction from the gentleman based on the probability of having to sleeve it.  If nothing else it will scare hell out of the UPS guy when he comes flying down the driveway.

Offline flagman1776

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2011, 02:47:22 AM »
 :)

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2011, 12:54:17 PM »
UPS and USPS.

I'm told regularly that "You've got your moneys worth out of this one." by post office, as they quote a much higher rate for non-flat-rate mailings.

;D

The last time I moved I had 15 boxes of books.  Of course the boxes were knotty pine and also served as the bookcases when the lid was removed - shipped 'em all at 'book rate'. 

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2011, 09:38:03 AM »
I have conditionally committed to purchase this item with a right of inspection before the sale closes with just that in mind. Also negotiated a really substantial price reduction from the gentleman based on the probability of having to sleeve it.  If nothing else it will scare hell out of the UPS guy when he comes flying down the driveway.

Good luck! I'm interested to know if it's steel or unsleeved iron.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline little seacoast

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2011, 12:00:59 PM »
I will post pics for anyone interested and would still love to have knowledgeable input on this little project.  At the price we negotiated I'm OK with either alternative.  Anyone know who makes a sleeve for a barrel like this if it comes to that? Rifled  in something like GB or 40mm would be super.  Still can't figure out who made a 66% barrel.  Thanks, Pete

Offline little seacoast

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2011, 07:29:39 AM »
Yesterday I made the trip to Jacksonville FL (1050 miles RT) and back to look at the controversial tube.  It was a good case of be careful what you wish for.  The rather nice guy who had it for sale obviously had never been near it with a measuring tape, 56" long not 48".  A couple hundred pounds heavier too.  On the up side, the corrosion was minimal- light surface only on the tube exterior  and only a small area of the bottom side of the bore right at the muzzle. Not anywhere near as bad as it looked.  The vent had never been drilled through, only 1.5" deep, although the gun had been fired by a cruise line probably electrically.  Best finding was on the right trunnion where it was stamped Southbend Replicas, Southbend, Ind.  I bought it.
That's where the fun started, transport cradle had been made for a 48" tube and worse, the tube was 4" longer than the cargo area in my jeep. Finally wrestled it in catty cornered and inadequately secured the monster, could just see it deciding to come visit me in the front seat. Made the Jeep sit a little funny too. There was a perfectly good trailer with tie downs and a big cradle back at the house-damn.  I will post a few pics when I figure out how to get it OUT of the Jeep. Wearily, LS

Offline flagman1776

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2011, 07:38:23 AM »
  :) 

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2011, 07:52:48 AM »
I would have loved to have bought that thing.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline little seacoast

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2011, 02:03:08 PM »
Swampman, you might just have a chance yet. This is more gun than I was planning on- half scale is more my speed as I can actually handle it myself. One thing I can assure you though, it'll be pickup only!

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2011, 02:21:00 PM »
Is it a full scale?
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline little seacoast

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2011, 02:32:24 PM »
3/4 ths

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2011, 03:11:26 PM »
I guess I was right about the maker.  Great buy!
Norm Gibson, 1st SC Vol., ACWSA

Offline Mike H.

• Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2011, 11:26:26 PM »
Shoot.  I should have made the 5 hour round trip as soon as I heard of this one, and sold a kidney to pay for it.  Great buy. 

Would have looked great in my office.  Not sure where I would have sat afterward.

Offline jamesfrom180

• Avid Poster
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2011, 04:45:58 AM »
Congratulation! 
This would look great on a barbette wouldn't it?
AMMA Bosslopper 1988

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2011, 05:20:04 AM »
LS,
You lucked out on this deal, congratulations! Just to be clear on this; does this ¾ scale SBR Parrott barrel have a steel liner?
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Frank46

• A Real Regular
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2011, 03:58:20 PM »
LS, big question. Since south bend replicas is probably one of the most well known cannon makers why would you even want to install a liner in it?. I ask partly out of ignorance not to be a wise guy. I do understand that a little smaller bore would be more shooter friendly. You could have stopped by my place in Louisiana and offloaded it there. Frank

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2011, 08:02:12 PM »
So far as I know, all the shootable SBR guns were made with a steel liner, sometimes much thicker than the minimum required by N-SSA.  I would be quite surprised to hear that this gun did not have a steel liner.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline little seacoast

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2011, 01:14:16 AM »
Frank, When I went to Florida I had no idea who made this barrel and was expecting the worst. The Southbend Replica marking was a total surprise and a welcome one.  Talked to SBR yesterday and they assurred me that it is lined if made after 1975. The other reason I considered it was to have a rifled bore, I was very impressed with VA Rifleman's accuracy with his 40mm Mountain Rifle @ Floyd this spring. Of course I probably won't do it if the barrel doesn't need it. For $1000.00 I'm satisfied with it.

Offline little seacoast

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2011, 04:29:03 AM »
Managed to wrestle the tube out of the Jeep this morning with the help of a neighbor and his tractor- slid a hay spear down the bore and out it came.  LOTS easier than it went in.  After a few minutes with a sander on the muzzle it is obvious that there is indeed a 3/8" liner in place (whew) and everything is gonna be OK. I still had visions of this being a "non shooter/display only" barrel dancing in the back of my head.  Before I go any further with this project there needs to be some serious thought about what kind of carriage and where is it going to live.  My wife has informed me that it's not going to be emplaced looking down the driveway at the UPS guy unfortunately.

Offline flagman1776

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2011, 05:01:18 AM »
Nice score...  :)

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2011, 06:13:06 AM »
You beat me to it, I was going to ask why you didn't just sand the muzzle face and have a look. I've got two iron models with steel liners, one an SBR, and its easy to make out the liner ring on both of them. SBR made both 'Shootable' and 'Decorator' models, the "D" cannons were identical to the shooters, but were only bored half way down the barrel. I was concerned that either someone might have had a decorator barrel bored all the way, or specifically ordered a barrel without a liner in order to have a rifled liner made for it. I'm sitting here getting envious while looking at the listed price of SBR's ¾ scale 10-pounder lathe finished Parrott, and wondering how come I never run into deals like this. ;)

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2011, 06:44:20 AM »
LS,
There is only one place to put a Parrott Rifle.  In the house! ;D
Zulu

Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline rdmallory

• Trade Count: (11)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2011, 07:06:17 AM »
Bet that makes your ears ring touching it of in the house. ;D

Doug

Offline flagman1776

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2011, 07:57:48 AM »
Zulu, That's awesome!

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2011, 02:36:05 PM »
LS,
There is only one place to put a Parrott Rifle.  In the house! ;D
Zulu

I'll bet you have no problem with overdue books others have borrowed!

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2011, 03:33:16 PM »
My wife made me pull it out of the study. :(
But so far, she hasn't said anything about this. ;D
Zulu

Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline Frank46

• A Real Regular
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2011, 04:30:25 PM »
LS, darn you got a great deal. Think the guy next door whom we do not like would be the first to call the police if he ever saw me with a cannon. He's still ticked off after the guy who bought the property behind him put up a 8'
concrete wall around his property. Maybe to keep zombies out. Frank

Offline little seacoast

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2011, 04:39:41 PM »
Zulu, I'm going to show that picture to Carol. Maybe then she will realize that I am the soul of moderation after all.  Nice tubes all, gotta try turning some wooden artillery this winter.