Author Topic: T/C Triumph Bone Collector vs T/C Pro-Hunter FX  (Read 5441 times)

Offline John Ceglarek

• Trade Count: (0)
T/C Triumph Bone Collector vs T/C Pro-Hunter FX
« on: November 02, 2011, 01:04:27 AM »
I'm looking at a new muzzle loader, and I'm torn between the T/C Triumph Bone Collector and the T/C Pro Hunter FX.  Can anyone offer their insights into these two guns...give me information that might help me decide?  The only major difference I see is that the Pro Hunter FX has a 26" barrel, and the Triumph has a 28" (and is about a half-pound lighter in spite of the longer barrel).  Both guns have WeatherShield, both have FlexTech, both have hand-removable breech plugs.

Thanks,

John

Offline 1sourdough

• Trade Count: (7)
Re: T/C Triumph Bone Collector vs T/C Pro-Hunter FX
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 02:07:17 PM »
 I think I'd be happy with a 26" barrel. I see the Bone Collector gets great reviews, maybe the other does also. Beyond that I don't have much to offer. I'm more a Knight guy, did you check out the new Knights?
NRA, Veteran

Offline anuguy

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 01:03:10 AM »
The FX is pretty much just like the Encore. Im not sure though that you can take the barrel off on the FX and if it is like my Encore I had it got a lot of blowback residue in the barrel lock area and the trigger area. If you cant remove the barrel then it would be impossible to clean properly. The Triumph has a solid area below where the barrel snaps down preventing blowback from getting into the trigger area and locking lug area. Also, I didnt like how hard it was to get the FX ramrod to lock into place when I pushed it into the forearm. It seemed rickety and  had to fool with it to get it in. The triumph I looked at went right in.

Offline jake

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 01:57:34 PM »
I have had a TC Encore since they came out and love it.Last year I bought a Triumph Bone Collector from Cabelas when they had them on sale.I really bought it for my son to use.

I have to say I really like the Triumph alot.It is lighter than the Encore and it shoots just as good.I dont think you can go wrong with either one,but if I were just looking for a muzzleloader I wouldhave go with the Triumph.It s a very nice rifle.

Good Luck
jake

Offline luckydawg13

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (27)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 12:18:40 AM »
i have a Encore and a omega in 209x50 i like the omega more if you just want
a black powder gun take a look at the new Dream season omega wow does that look nice
i just saw one at cabelas boy is it sweet  the Encore and Omega that i have both shoot
great i don't think you can go wrong with a TC.
kids that hunt and fish dont mug old Ladies
and drive a F150

Offline yooper77

• Trade Count: (33)
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 12:38:03 AM »
I'm looking at a new muzzle loader, and I'm torn between the T/C Triumph Bone Collector and the T/C Pro Hunter FX.  Can anyone offer their insights into these two guns...give me information that might help me decide?  The only major difference I see is that the Pro Hunter FX has a 26" barrel, and the Triumph has a 28" (and is about a half-pound lighter in spite of the longer barrel).  Both guns have WeatherShield, both have FlexTech, both have hand-removable breech plugs.

Thanks,

John

You cannot go wrong with any Thompson Center products, but I don't see the need for a 28" barrels for myself. I have the T/C Encore and I most certainly wouldn't want another 2" for barrel length for my muzzleloader barrel.

Just so you know the T/C Pro Hunter FX is not an Encore, it is a fixed non-interchangeable barrel muzzleloader only.
http://www.tcarms.com/assets/manuals/current/ProHunter_FX_Manual.pdf

I understand why T/C made the Pro Hunter FX since its configured too look like the Encore and NO FFL transfer is required just like the Triumph, Omega or any other muzzleloader only firearm.

http://www.tcarms.com/assets/manuals/current/Triumph_&_Bone_Collector_Manual.pdf
http://www.tcarms.com/assets/manuals/current/Omega_Manual.pdf

yooper77

Offline Two Bears

• Trade Count: (10)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2011, 06:45:38 AM »

Thanks,

John

I would skip both heres why... The prices.

Why not buy a T/C Encore muzzleloader and have a great shooting muzzloader and have the ability to change out barrels to shoot other configurations ? Price might be slightly higher but well worth it.

Don't get me wrong the 2 you mentioned shoot very well but the omega you are paying for the endorsment on the rifle and the FX you are paying for mostly machining time and have a gun that is almost like the Encore but the barrel does not come off or innerchange.

Ive had 3 Omegas and they shoot great, currently have 2 Encores with 3 barrels.

Just my 2 cents/
HAVING A LIBERAL ALONG IS LIKE LOSING 2 GOOD MEN

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2011, 06:06:50 PM »
I know the Omega isn't one of the options you are asking about, but I like it a lot better, than the Pro-Hunter FX which is basically a non-gun (non Form 4473 gun) copy of the Encore.
I would recommend that you handle each gun to see which one feels better to you.  I just didn't like the feel of the Pro-Hunter FX (or Encore).
With the "Bone Collector"  version of the Triumph, I feel what you paying for is an endorsement by Michael Waddell, the changes aren't that different, except for the ramrod, which you could upgrade yourself (and flex tech stock, which I feel is a nominal improvement).
I also have the Triumph, but for some reason the I like the Omega better.  If you ask me, buy the Omega.
If money is a concern, as far as the Encore is concerned, the price of the Encore and the extra barrels is a lot more than you would normally expect to pay.
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.