Author Topic: scope  (Read 808 times)

Offline gramps1

• Trade Count: (0)
scope
« on: November 02, 2011, 02:40:53 PM »
Hi,  I have a new to me .223 with a bull barrel.  Ya'll helped me get a stuck shell out.  Now I need help with the scope.  It has no name on it.  It is a 2.5x-10x.  On the forward section it rotates with numbers 10-300 then infinity(what does this do?).  The back of the scope has the usual 2.5, 3, 4,power etc.  This scope has a ground squirrel in the crosshairs on the side, but no name.  Info please.  I have shot over 20 rnds through it and am having trouble getting it to shoot better than 4-5 inch groups at 124 yds  The person who had it before me oiled the fool out of it, and I've been wiping oil off since getting it.  I don't understand how oil on the latch effects accuracy? :'(
gramps1
NRA Life Member

Offline spikehorn

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
Re: scope
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 03:05:42 PM »
The foward rotating part of the scope is an adjustable objective it will help you focus the scope. Once the target is in focus you can estimate the yardage. I'm sure there are some on here that can give you more in depth lesson on the AO.
308 win                 45-70                       12ga         
30-30                    223 stainless steel   20ga TDC
44 mag                  Tracker II 20ga        20ga
45-70 Manlicher     20ga USH                28ga
                                                              410ga

Offline Winter Hawk

• Trade Count: (47)
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 03:17:45 PM »
I believe oil on the latch and shelf allow motion, even to the point of having the action open up when the shot goes off.  Friction is what holds the latch and latch plate together, and oil defeats that.  I had a NEF .30-06 refinished with TR Gunkote which is a Teflon finish.  When I got it back it would pop open with every shot.  That didn't stop until the gunsmith cleaned all of the finish off the latch and shelf after which it was good to go again.

I'm not familiar with the scope although the little ground squirrel rings a bell.  Is the 10 - 300 and infinity perhaps a parallax or focus adjustment?  I would bet that it is parallax, since you would have noticed visual changes if it were focus.

I assume that you have checked that all the scope mounting screws are tight.  You will need to try different brands of ammunition if you are going with factory loads.  Also different bullet weights.  If you are using reloads, some of these rifles are very load sensitive.  Again from personal experience, I load from 20% below maximum for a given powder, five rounds, rubber band them together with a piece of paper with the charge weight, then increase the charge by one grain and load another 5 rounds, bundle them together with their charge weight, and keep this up to maximum load.  This assumes you are loading the same bullet, you only want to change one thing at a time.  Then go shoot each bundle of five from a bench, allowing the barrel to cool between them.  It is classic to watch the groups shrink until you reach the load the rifle prefers, then start to open up again.  My first H&R was a .30-30 model 158 and it went from 6" groups down to almost 1" at its preferred load with 150 grain spitzers.

Good luck, and enjoy playing with the little rifle!  Let us know how you make out.

-WH-
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone

Offline TNBilly

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2011, 03:48:50 PM »
If you're shooting at 100 yards then make sure you have the front lens adjusted to "100".  The way that works if it is not, the parallax won't be right and ANY change in your head position will make for a different point of impact.  It isn't gonna make a huge difference but if you're shooting for group you will notice it. 
America is great because she is good, and if America ever ceases to be good, America will cease to be great.”        Alexis de Tocqueville

Offline Ol BW

• Trade Count: (24)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2011, 04:21:59 PM »
I am pretty sure you have a Swift scope.  Also that front adjustment is a parallax adjustment, although I really don't know how to tell you to use it. 

Chime in here fellas!

Offline daniel8370

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2011, 09:34:51 PM »
My Tasco Varmint scope 6X24 has a prairie dog in the crosshairs on the side of it.

Offline wileynet

• Trade Count: (30)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2011, 10:02:17 PM »
infinity helps you focus at ranges greater than 300 yards, when using the AO at known distances you will notice it greatly out focus say your shooting at 50 but ao is at 100 turning to fifty will bring the target in to focus, with the really good ao you parralax can help you estimate ranges
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -Thomas Jefferson

Huntsman 58,NEF 45/70 manlicher stock, H&R 308, 30-06, 12 ga, 20 ga, H&R 223, H&R 204 varmiter,H&R 243, H&R 44mag, SMLE No 1 MKIV,SMLE No4 MK1, Savage 110 7mm, Ruger BH 45LC, Security Six, SR9, S&W 22a, CVA MTN Rifle, Optima

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2011, 10:55:50 PM »
My Tasco Varmint scope 6X24 has a prairie dog in the crosshairs on the side of it.

That was my guess... YES it sounds like it is a adjustable Objective..

CW

"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2011, 01:42:17 AM »
Adjustable Objective
I like to set a crisp target out at 100yd., set the AO for 100, then adjust the Focus Ring to be clear on the target. Used scopes adjusted by those who dont know how to are often out of focus for what you set the AO at. If you are often shooting at 2 or 300 you might prefer to set it for there.
Once the focus is set clear you dont need to readjust it when you then change the AO for the given distance, though you may find it not quite as crisp. Higher quality scopes are better in this regard, but I have tweaked a couple on the focus adj. to get a good picture across the AO range.
I have found that it is very easy to forget to set the AO if you are shooting at different ranges and get the least bit distracted (like, trying out different loads, etc.). This may become apparent when you note it is a bit fuzzy, so change the AO to the right range, dont change the focus.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline gramps1

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2011, 06:11:35 AM »
Thanks guys, I have never used this type of scope before.  Yes I have checked the scope for looseness.  It was tight.  I have shot rifles very little so some of the variable may be me.  I have shot handguns a lot and shotguns more than rifles.  Now maybe  i'll get better with the rifle.
gramps1
NRA Life Member

Offline ratdog

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2011, 09:32:17 AM »
if you can't get it dialed in and it is a tasco take it off the gun and bang it on a rock at least 10 times.then throw it over your right shoulder as hard as you can.

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2011, 12:11:24 PM »
I had a friend do that with a BSA 'something'. He later found out he had other issues (causing the 'apparent' scope problems) and had wasted the scope.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline bigvarmnt

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • N. E. Indiana
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2011, 12:41:27 PM »
Hey gramps, Most if not all the above is probably correct, except maybe the beating on a rock ;D  I have a Tasco that sounds a lot like yours. Mine has writing imprinted on the bottom of the scope bla, bla, made in China. You didn't say if it has mil-dots. If you found it to be mounted properly then go with the steps in the faqs. If that don't work then it may be the scope. If possible check it on another gun. They are inexpensive scopes.
I have one like yours on a 221 Fireball, not bragging about that. I had another of the same with more power that someone borrowed without my permission. The rifle it was on hit anything out to 300yds. I was just about to upgrade to a much more expensive scope and am glad they borrowed it when they did :'(  They are an awful large scope but the 2.5 -10 does well on the Fireball also. They were great guns but the scopes did well on them. The front numbers are A.O. as mentioned. If they put that much oil on it then it's probably under the rings also. Good Luck