Author Topic: Breech Loading Cannons taking a cased round  (Read 598 times)

Offline Co. Batguano

• Trade Count: (0)
Breech Loading Cannons taking a cased round
« on: November 04, 2011, 05:45:05 AM »
Are there any cannons out there (such as the Hotchkiss Mountain gun) that would fit this description Breech Loading, rifled taking a cased shell (similar to a modern smaller piece such as the M1A1 Pack Gun) that are NOT considered Destructive Devices by the BATF?
From what I understand of the law, so long as we are building replicas of pieces that were designed before 1898, no matter tha caliber, they are not considered "firearms", or DD's etc.   

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • seacoastartillery.com
Re: Breech Loading Cannons taking a cased round
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 06:24:30 AM »
     The 50 mm Krupp Mountain Gun is such a gun designed in the mid 1890s.  The French 75 is such a gun and would make a fine gun in 1/2 scale from 1897.  There are quite a few Spanish, French, British and American deck guns in this class and most are known as QF guns, "Quick Fire".  They date from the mid 1880s to late 1890s.  We would not build any cannon that takes a complete cartridge which includes primer, powder, case and bullet in one complete package without sending an inquiry letter to BATFE and getting an official OK to proceed.  Don't assume anything here; get an Official OK first!  BTW we don't even discuss what may or may not be legal here on this board; it's in the rules.  Good luck; we hope you choose a good one, get the OK and then build it!!

Tracy and Mike
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 06:25:27 AM »
There are.  BUT my oppinion doesn't count.

Read up on the law, choose your design AND then write the BATF for permission.  It is their WRITTEN response that is the official OK. 

If I'm not mistaken (again, my oppinion doesn't mean squat) it hinges on the common availability of the ammo.  That is what you need to research, docment and get permision from BATF.

I'm sure DD will fill in the blanks where I've been too brief.

;)
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline flagman1776

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2011, 09:38:33 AM »
 ::)

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2011, 10:22:12 AM »
A weapon originally manufactured with say a short barrel or stock might be exempt if the ammunition for it is no longer available.

If the piece is collectable, it usually can get an exemption from the short barrel issue.

It is always best to get a written approval of any deviation from the law.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2011, 10:33:56 AM »
Tim and I will give you  the correct answer for discussion this board, What we tell you will only applies to our discussions and nothing else. 

I caution you on just reading up up on the subject.  Do read up up on it indeed, and you will get a feel for the right answer.  Do  not accept anything you find on the internet as gospel.   There is so much bad  information and misinformation on the internet. For that reason we do not allow discussion of or interpretation of the law here.  We don't want to ad to the confusion.  We do not allow  interpretation of the law here.

There is only one correct answer to your question and that comes from the ATF Technology  Branch.  Write them a letter detailing your question.  They are very easy to deal with and will provide you with the answer and usually very promptly also.

I am working on two letter right now to send them. 

1. Building long Cecil over .50 caliber and under .50 caliber

2. Status of a bowling ball mortar to replicated a Stokes mortar.  (will open or close that door once and for all).

Here is where to write:

Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives
Firearms Technology Branch
244 Needy Road
Martinsburg, West Virginia 25405 USA