Author Topic: Trail/Hiking gun  (Read 7559 times)

Offline azmark

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Trail/Hiking gun
« on: November 04, 2011, 10:22:31 AM »
What do you carry for Trail/Hiking use, and why?
Mark Dickinson
USAF, Retired

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: Trail/Hiking gun
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 10:35:22 AM »
Its been my S&W 651 22Mag for many years...

I have been looking hard at the Kel Tec PMR30... never needed 30 rounds, but ;)

CW

Clarify: To me a a"Trail Gun" is notintended for two legged problems.  ;)  That will be covered by my G23.
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 10:50:56 AM »
AZ: It depends totally on the 'where and for how long' I might be out but usually it is anything from a 7.62 Tokarev, or a 38 Super, or a 45; if big game are around and the opportunity might present itself I would opt for a 357, 44 mag or 45.  It all depends. 

Daytime hikes scouting hunting trails or sites, or just being a stranger in a strange land I will opt for a big bore.  Local situations where I frequent don't usually call for anything more than necessary for field mice to coyote and the first category suffices easily.

CW:  C'mon buddy - look harder at that PMR30.  Gun Tests Magazine just gave it a nice write-up, as have others, and to be honest, after all I have read and with the effectiveness of the 22 mag, and 30 shots, anna a extra magaazine well just  b'tween you and me buddy, that is way too much fun waitin' to happen, and my palms sweat for one........  They are not allowed in my nanny state because of the magazine capacity, dang it. 

So if you get one you absolutely gotta make the rest of us drool and let us know how cool it is.

AZ:  On second thought, I could easily substitute a PMR30 in 22 mag for the first group I mentioned above. 

Offline azmark

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2011, 11:10:59 AM »
Extra info:  Coyotes out here are plentiful, but very wary of people.  We obviously have rattlesnakes, but the javelinas are kind of unpredictable.  Location, time:  middle of nowhere Southern AZ on dirt roads starting just before dawn; I'm out for about an hour.  I have a GP100 and a 1911, but want something a little lighter.  My short list includes a Smith J-Frame, Charter Bulldog, and even though it doesn't fit my weight critera I'd really like a Vaquero Sherriff's Model in .44 spl  ;D  just for grins.

Mark Dickinson
USAF, Retired

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2011, 11:28:41 AM »
Extra info:  Coyotes out here are plentiful, but very wary of people.  We obviously have rattlesnakes, but the javelinas are kind of unpredictable.  Location, time:  middle of nowhere Southern AZ on dirt roads starting just before dawn; I'm out for about an hour.  I have a GP100 and a 1911, but want something a little lighter.  My short list includes a Smith J-Frame, Charter Bulldog, and even though it doesn't fit my weight criteria I'd really like a Vaquero Sheriff's Model in .44 spl  ;D  just for grins.
I have dispatched a number of yodel dogs with my 22mags and 17HMRs.
 Al tho I haven't done it, I have read many times that the 22mag may be the perfect peccary bullet, in close to med ranges or the scenario you would have as a hiker...

To my mind, the sole strike against the 22Mag in a personal protection scenario is the fact that its a rim-fire. Performance wise, the 22Mags will NOT let you down.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline azmark

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2011, 11:35:07 AM »
Any advice on 22M handgun selection?  I originally thought about a 22M snubby for ease of carry then got talked into larger calibers.
Mark Dickinson
USAF, Retired

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2011, 11:50:44 AM »
Ruger .357 Blackhawk because it's plenty.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline woodchukhntr

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (108)
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2011, 11:53:36 AM »
Charter Arms Undercover, Police Bulldog, or  Walther P22.

Offline Hodr

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
  • Blinded by law
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2011, 02:06:18 PM »
Hello azmark,
I took the liberty of running your location up on a map, it is a lonely chunk of Az and more than a touch close to the border.  I am in central Az and have different parameters than you do and a bit more age.  I have found solace and comfort in Charter Arms ON DUTY 38snubs.  Never had a failure, weighs 12oz, eats any 38sp ammo and I can tuck two of them away so they carry dressy in public and are super secure without printing.  For a weight of 24oz plus ammo you have 10 rounds of argument.  If I remember your area correctly I would probably take a rifle but if it was going to be a handgun, I would take a Tokarev (7.62x25) or a S&W model 10 used with a bobbed hammer and a 4" barrell.  I would put this in a tanker type chest holster for more than really close up and personal.  Ammo is pretty cheap for both of these.  For close and personal I would have a 12oz concealed, deeply concealed 38 snub

Hodr
TANSTAAFL

Offline jackruff

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2011, 02:33:27 PM »
SP-101 357 magnum.

Offline Silvertp

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2011, 04:12:49 PM »
All depends on the "bad things" that can be found along the trails (or in the areas) that you hike.  You arm yourself for the toughest to put down critter that you may encounter.

Given there are occasional grizz in my stomping grounds expect to find me toting my Freedom Arms .475 Linebaugh.  Pretty much covers the continent.  In places that a pot grower is the most dangerous likely encounter I find my .357 Mag provides the level of protection that satisfies me.

Silvertp

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2011, 05:20:36 AM »
If I was "on a walk" anywhere but the asphalt jungle I live in, ie; in the country, I most probably invest in a chest mounted (I hate to say this in public) scabbard or two and opt for a .41 or .357 mag---pehaps the 9x23 in a semi but most likely a revolver of the S&W family.
I will deny I said scabbard and swear that this post was blogged by a hacker--if it is ever brought up again.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline irold

• Trade Count: (22)
  • A Real Regular
  • "Live today , for tomorrow may never come"
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2011, 01:07:35 AM »
William , a scabbard ........ ::)  really ??

I like a small framed .357.  Doesn't really matter who makes it....long as its dependable. Doesn't mean ya have to shoot barn burning loads....load up or buy what ya can handle or want.  And , I really think if a J frame or a small ruger ( sp 101 or the like ) is too large for ya to carry....better rethink the hiking part..

regards , irold

Offline Gene R

• Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2011, 01:39:50 AM »
First...Keep it up William...I enjoy hearing the "More Experienced Crowd" ::) speak, most often words you dont hear much any more...Scabbord-Britches and so on..
These questions seem to come up all the time, I really believe it depends on what part of the country you are in and what you expect to come across. For me I carry mostly a S&W M63 or 617 .22 revolver because I shoot at almost everything that looks like a target. And probably the most dangerous things I bump in to are #1 Snakes. But will carry a .357 or a .45colt or a .44 mag depending on where I plan on going and doing. But the .22 rules for me and its cheap to shoot.
Gene R

Offline azmark

• Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2011, 03:44:12 AM »
William , a scabbard ........ ::)  really ??

I like a small framed .357.  Doesn't really matter who makes it....long as its dependable. Doesn't mean ya have to shoot barn burning loads....load up or buy what ya can handle or want.  And , I really think if a J frame or a small ruger ( sp 101 or the like ) is too large for ya to carry....better rethink the hiking part..

regards , irold

Right now I carry a 6 inch GP 100; just want something a little less massive.  If a J Frame were too heavy for me to carry, I'd have much bigger problems than a little bit of walking  ;D
Mark Dickinson
USAF, Retired

Offline coalcifer

« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2011, 07:05:21 AM »
Mark, I have carried a Charter Arms Bulldog stainless since 1986.  It has served me well here at home as well as in the several Central American counties that I have worked in as  personal protection for American families.  It is light, dependable and when loaded with Glasers, extremely deadly.  If you are looking for something easy to conceal and carry, the CA Bulldog should be high on your list.

Offline jakeemt

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2011, 07:20:00 AM »
I like my k22. it suits my style and i can carry a bunch of ammo which I always have on hand. Been thinking about a 4 inch k frame 22 though.

Offline Flynmoose

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2011, 10:37:59 AM »
In my part of eastern Oregon, the worst problem is rattlesnakes that guard really nice trout holes. I carry my S&W 650 22Mag with a 3 inch barrel, cylinder full of shot loads and a couple of speed loaders with HPs in my pocket.
FM
Dear God please protect our troops, especially the snipers.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2011, 11:00:25 AM »
In my part of eastern Oregon, the worst problem is rattlesnakes that guard really nice trout holes. I carry my S&W 650 22Mag with a 3 inch barrel, cylinder full of shot loads and a couple of speed loaders with HPs in my pocket.
FM

Works damn good too don't it!!  At about 5' it will shred a snakes head!

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline azmark

• Avid Poster
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2011, 12:26:10 PM »
For those of you who own and recommend a Bulldog...do you find that the recoil is any more harsh than the lightweight J frame snubs in .38?  I've  shot my buddy's Smith 442 and while it does kick it's not painful.  The 44 Mags I've shot were not real comfortable, though.  Manageable, but not something that would be fun to shoot more than a box or two of ammo through.  Maybe I'm wimpy :'(
Mark Dickinson
USAF, Retired

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2011, 12:56:09 PM »
For those of you who own and recommend a Bulldog...do you find that the recoil is any more harsh than the lightweight J frame snubs in .38?  I've  shot my buddy's Smith 442 and while it does kick it's not painful.  The 44 Mags I've shot were not real comfortable, though.  Manageable, but not something that would be fun to shoot more than a box or two of ammo through.  Maybe I'm wimpy :'(

YES, they are not for the recoil shy, while not a mag kinda recoil, they are light weight and moving a heavy bullet.
 I liked the idea so I found a used S&W 3" 696 44 Spl.. Its a K frame and makes dealing with the Spl easy. very nice carry gun. I always wanted to have a early small frame 357 Black hawk made into a 44 Spl... I have seen them, but haven't done it myself... yet. ;)

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline t-reg

• Avid Poster
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2011, 03:57:50 PM »
A life long revo guy here, but my PT99 has quickly become my most often carried outdoor gun.  It's light, very accurate, fits my hand and carries well.  With 19 rounds on tap it's like a full cylinder and 2 speedloaders, plus an extra in case of a miss, all in one convienient package.  Standard 9mm ammo roughly equals the .38 +p's I carry in a .357.  Good enough for anything likely around here and by OP's description Arizona too.

Another factor is I have sensitive ears and it doesn't kill them if shot w/o ear plugs like the .38's do. 

Offline Ken ONeill

« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2011, 01:53:55 AM »
A Ruger Single Six in either .22 LR or more likely .22 Mag, or 1 of 2 SP-101's in .38 Spec. +P with hard 158 SWC's.

Offline mdwest

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2011, 06:23:33 AM »
depends on the trail/hike...

90% of the time I carry a glock 19 with 124 gr remington golden sabers loaded.. around the part of the smokies where we do most of our hiking, sadly the biggest threat in the woods are the 2 legged critters.. not the 4 legged ones or the no legged ones..

Offline Pat/Rick

« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2011, 09:46:48 AM »
I usually carry my G-23 loaded with FMJ, or my GP-100 with 158gr SP's. Four and two legged critters around here. Sometimes I'll take my single six as well. I also usually carry my 870, 20" IC and rifle sights. From bear to feral dogs, to dope growers, I'm never under gunned.

Offline coalcifer

« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2011, 11:49:18 AM »
The .44 special when loaded with 200 grain or larger slugs is something you have to practice at to be able to control.  That is especially true when taking follow up shots.  I have always shot my handguns a lot and practice regularly.  I have also found that when using Glaser safety slugs, recoil is negligible and follow up shots are much easier.  The downside of that is that the rounds are expensive and limit practicing with them to a minimum.  You may need to go to your local range and ask around during the pistol matches about what they carry and why.  It will also give you the chance to fire different carry firearms.

Offline Flynmoose

• A Real Regular
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2011, 04:18:19 PM »
Cwlongshot.. Lets just say that I was disappointed with the performance of 22LR shotshells. I bought and tried some 22Mag shotshells and never looked back!
FM
Dear God please protect our troops, especially the snipers.

Offline Glanceblamm

« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2011, 01:40:58 AM »
For myself it was an old H&R model 649 convertible lr/wmr cylinders that I recieved as a gift back in 75'. These things were dirt cheap at the time but mine (and probably others) are very good shooters. It was also my introduction to handgun gunsmithing as I have replaced the Pawl spring twice now. (if you can "drift" the innerds out of a 649, and get it back together (to include the little spring behind the trigger) you are qualified to work on anything  ;D

For the last three years running I have been carrying my little 3-7/8 Birds head Vaquero in the .45 Colt. I do this mainly because I can but have to say that the balance, pointability, and accuracy are great and it fits real nice in the crossdraw holster on my left hip. This caliber is kind of hard on the Coyotes as you know but also handy as our Cat sightings have been increasing.

Offline azmark

• Avid Poster
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2011, 03:43:58 PM »
Wow!! I checked on line today to price reloading components for.44 spl.  The best price I could find for brass was 30 bucks per 100, and that was for once-fired.  That's just wrong...it's making me think about 22 Mag again.  You'd think this stuff was made of gold!
Mark Dickinson
USAF, Retired

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2011, 04:00:36 PM »
Wow!! I checked on line today to price reloading components for.44 spl.  The best price I could find for brass was 30 bucks per 100, and that was for once-fired.  That's just wrong...it's making me think about 22 Mag again.  You'd think this stuff was made of gold!

get  a 44 mag......brass  is easier to come by and its a better round
or get a 38/357....if you want the cheapest  loading components

one or 2 trips dumpster diving at a range  and you may be set for life for brass
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.