Author Topic: M1 Garand  (Read 810 times)

Offline beerbelly

• Trade Count: (6)
M1 Garand
« on: November 05, 2011, 04:08:12 AM »
 Just got my M1 , got my first one on Parris Island in 1956,but they made me give it back.
I have read some where that you should load your brass no more than four times as the M1 is hard on brass. I dug up eight pieces that had been fired in a bolt gun while I wait for UPS to bring me more. I have loaded and fired it four times. The only thing I see is the ejector seems to be chewing the lip up on the back of the brass.
So what is the skinny on this , what should I look for and what will make the brass no longer usable? Thanks for any help, don't want to hurt my rifle or me!

Offline shot1

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: M1 Garand
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2011, 11:29:29 AM »
Be sure that you are using no powder slower burning than IMR 4320. IMR 4895 is THE powder that the ammo was loaded with for the M1 Garand. Keep your bullet weight down to 180 gr of lighter. This is to keep port pressure where it is supposed to be and also not to beat up your op-rod. The reason that many do not load a case more than 4 times is because the M1 beats the snot out of them. The rims get bent in and chewed up quite a bit. It is not that the case will rupture or anything. When the rims get bent in and chewed up you can have extraction issues, IE pulling through the rim or the extractor just slipping off or misses the rim. Standard loads for the M1 Garand is 47 to 48 grs IMR 4895 with 150 to 155 gr bullets or 46 grs IMR 4064 with 165 to 168 gr bullets. I have used all makes of primers and the only one that you should not use for slam fire issues are real is FEDERAL. I personally have had slam fire double and triple fire using FEDERAL primers. They are really sensitive and the free floating firing pin of the M1 Garand can and WILL set them off when a round is chambered in the firing cycle. My match load for my all matching 1954 Springfield M1 is 48 grs IMR 4895, CCI-BR2 primer, LC Match case, 155 gr Nosler custom competition HPBT, OAL 3.334 and I use a Lee Factory Crimp Die on it because it makes it more accurate. Good luck and good shooting. 

Offline Grumulkin

• Trade Count: (33)
    • http://www.orchardphoto.com
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2011, 07:27:48 PM »
The thing that will probably result in the brass being unusable would be an incipient head separation.  To check for that, run a wire down the inside of the case.  If you feel a groove forming above the web, discard the case.

Offline Old Syko

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 02:09:50 AM »
For me, the extractor destroys the rim of the case head long before I get even a little concerned about separation.

Offline beerbelly

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011, 03:26:24 AM »
Thanks guys