Author Topic: EAA Whitness  (Read 788 times)

Offline WD45

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
EAA Whitness
« on: November 05, 2011, 07:35:29 AM »
What's the general opin on the Whitness. Good , Bad , ugly ? Reliable enough to trust your life to ?

Offline 32 Magnum

• Contributor
Re: EAA Whitness
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2011, 08:48:39 AM »
I've owned one for about 10 years.  Best $295 (that's the price I paid for it back then) I ever spent on a firearm.
I bought mine new in box with the WONDER finish.  Out of the box it needed the feed ramp polished (did it by hand to save hundreds of rounds) and a heavier recoil spring - after that, the gun will handle any and all ammo I've put through it - all weights, all bullet profiles.  On top of that, I shot one of the best .45 ACP groups I've ever shot, using mine with PMC match grade 230 FMJ ammo.  10 rounds through a 3/4" (edge to edge) hole, at 25 feet at an indoor range - standing off-hand.  I wouldn't hesitate to trust my life to it.  Lot's of good commentary on many forums.
Jim Hauff,  H&R Collector

RIP Jim, passed away on October 12th, 2012

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2011, 11:15:39 AM »
I love my Witness Match.  I haven't shot the DA regular version, but I'm sure they are quite good.  I wanted a decent priced match .45 for some local events and this one fit the bill.  Outta the box before even starting break-in and it was shooting 2" groups at 30 yards.  ;)  I'm probably going to get the compact carry version for a more portable one also.  ;)

Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline mauser98us

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
  • 10 mm junkie and Whelan wacko
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2011, 11:16:50 AM »
Iv'e had about seven of them. Now down to three. I think they rival anything being made. The only reason I have three is, I bought the accesory barrels to fit to existng frames. For a semi-auto pistol,for the price, they can't be beat.

Offline WD45

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2011, 12:57:22 PM »
Thanks for the info. Seems to be a good value for the price. Don't seem to hear much about them good or bad.

Offline Savage

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2011, 02:17:34 AM »
Ergos to match the CZ. at a better price point. I have the pistol in 10mm 40/9mm/45/. Wonder finish. I shoot them more accurately than any other pistol I own, and I own a bunch!
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline the jigger

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2011, 02:43:35 AM »
I trust my life to one quite often. I have a full size in 45ACP and a compact in 40S&W with an additional slide and barrel in 45ACP. The compact is my primary carry piece. Everything is all steel and Wonder finish. Neither of the 45's has ever hiccupped. Initially the 40 wanted to "stovepipe". Just tweeking the mag lips solved that problem. I still keep a couple of revolvers around, however my Witness is the first line of defense.
GOOD LUCK and GOOD SHOOTING!!!
IF YOU'RE GONNA GET OLD,YOU BETTER BE TOUGH!! GETTIN' OLD AIN'T FOR SISSIES!!!

Offline BAGTIC

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2011, 06:25:25 PM »
I have the 9mm Compact Version with the Wonder finish. I bought it years ago when there was still a 10 round magazine limit. Current magazines hold 12. I love it. It hasn't so much as hiccuped yet and the compact is small enough for CCW.

Offline NickSS

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2011, 05:25:48 PM »
I have a full sized and compact steel models with the wonder finish in 9mm.  I am seriously thinking of buying a conversion kit for one of them in 45 ACP.  I have had them for awhile now and the only problem I had was with some plated HP that had a very wide profile.  I got some stove pipes until I seated the bullets out to max over all length and then no more problems with them.  They gobble everything I have tried and they are accurate too.  I am thinking of a 45 ACP conversion kit for Christmas for me.

Offline WD45

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2011, 11:17:30 AM »
Seems that everyone has about the same opinion and experience and I appreciate the feedback. The ability to swap barrel and slide over to another caliber could come in rather handy. I've been looking at them with CCW in mind.

Offline the jigger

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2011, 04:33:29 AM »
As I said before the compact is my carry weapon. You will find the all steel models a bit heavy in the holster,however, that weight is a definite plus when you shoot, especially with heavy 45's.
GOOD LUCK and GOOD SHOOTING!!!
IF YOU'RE GONNA GET OLD,YOU BETTER BE TOUGH!! GETTIN' OLD AIN'T FOR SISSIES!!!