Author Topic: How to ascertain if I have an original or factory fitted barrel  (Read 894 times)

Offline tat438

• Trade Count: (5)
How to ascertain if I have an original or factory fitted barrel
« on: November 07, 2011, 10:23:42 AM »
I just a bought a NEF .270 from an aquaintance, and just thought about if the barrel is original or was fitted by NEF. I have had this thought because the barrel bluing looks a little different from the action, but so does my 45-70 and it is sure enough factory. I read a story a long time ago where someone was severly injured this way. Can someone guide me on how to confirm this?

Thanks

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
Re: How to ascertain if I have an original or factory fitted barrel
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 11:03:17 AM »
Welcome:
Barrels are made in completely different facilities sometimes from the receivers.  They never match...  That said, guys here swap barrels and we have an active classifieds down a bit in the list where many are sold.  There's a huge FAQ that you should really look through, as it will answer many questions you will have that you don't even know you want to ask.!  ;)

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,26264.0.html
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline tom548

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (51)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 11:46:44 AM »
You could look to see if there is a 3 digit # usually scribed on the barrel lug/hing that  matches the last three digits in the farm serial #. Not all have it. In the FAQ it will tell you how to tell if you have the SB1 or SB2 frame. If it is an SB2 frame and the barrel fits tight with no rattle or side play and it  locks up solid it should be safe to shoot.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 12:24:40 PM »
You can call H&R, they'll know by the frame serial number and they'll have a record of what barrels have been fitted the frame by them, (866)776-9292.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 12:49:34 PM »
I do not have as many barrels as some of these guys cough quick cough. I have 6 factory fitted barrels and they all are either stamped or etched with the last three digits of the frame serial number. I have two frames and so 2 barrels came with the frames and 4 were bought later. The frame barrels were etched and the ones acquired later were stamped. The digits are located on the face of the lug to the right when the breech is to your right and muzzle is to your left. Since I only have 6, that is no guarantee that all factory barrels will match this description, but it is a good indication. ;)

Good Luck and Good Shooting

Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline tat438

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 01:13:02 PM »
Thanks everyone. I just looked at my barrel lug, and I didnt see any numbers at all.

Offline Brian56

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2011, 02:59:59 PM »

As a rule shotgun barrels were never stamped, unless it was a barrel fit.
As for rifle barrels if they were etched, they were original barrel to receiver fits. If they were stamped with either  a 3 digit number (Gardner Ma. ) or a 4 digit number ( Ilion). They were an accessory barrel fit.

Brian@Remington:
Brian@Remington

Offline Joe S.

• Trade Count: (30)
  • A Real Regular
  • The poisonous mushroom!
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2011, 04:02:38 PM »
My topper has the entire serial # etched.
Joe S.
Central MS

"An armed society is a polite society."

redistribute work ethic!

Offline Jimbo47

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2011, 06:31:48 PM »
The first step would be to make sure it is on an SB2 frame and the FAQ's tell you how to do that, and if you aren't sure just call the number Tim furnished and they will confirm it.

Barrels can be interchanged and as long as you have an SB2 frame for a high pressure barrel, and the barrel fits snug and locks up tight, then there isn't a problem at all.

If possible, you could always ask the aquaintance if he bought the rifle new or was it used?
My culled down Handi's are the 45-70, and then I have a few others to keep it company...357 Mag/Max. .45 LC/.454 Casull Carbine, .243 Ultra, and 20 gauge Tracker II.

Offline tat438

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2011, 01:18:27 PM »
   I called the number today, but I was on hold for about 20 minutes after I was transfered, before I had to get off the phone. I will try again tomorrow, to speak with them. The person that answered the phone was VERY polite, I was impressed.

Offline tat438

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2011, 10:51:04 AM »
I got in touch with them a few weeks ago, and it turns out my rifle still has the original barrel. I shot it today when I sighted in my .270 bolt rifle. I wish I had shot the hand rifle first because I only had 7 Federal power shoks left after I sighted in my bolt rifle. I needed to save some because I am going hunting over the next few days, and dont want to have to run to wallyworld.

I fired 2 from a rest (wadded up coat) with the hand rifle and I had both shots touching at 50 yards!!!!!. I am really glad it will shoot inexpensive "over the counter" rounds like that. I will get more in the next few days and tweak it out. I think this is the most accurate rifle I own, and I only have $175 in it.

I am considering selling some of my bolt rifles that dont have sentimental value and replacing them with handi rifles.

Offline keith44

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2011, 11:02:55 AM »
and so the addiction begins ;)

Careful, people are gonna call you names like "Handiholic"
keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Offline ibgp3

• Trade Count: (29)
  • A Real Regular
  • Recovering after nearly 40 years of PTSD
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2011, 11:05:29 AM »
...another one catches the Handi bug....

Offline tat438

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2011, 01:40:57 PM »
I have never tried my 45-70 handi from a rest. I removed the scope right after I got it because I heard that they were worthless on a 45-70.  I know it will shoot off hand inside a 3 inch orange target at 25 yards with the irons. I am going to try it off a rest, and I may even put the scope back on it really soon!

If it shoots only half as good as this .270 I will be impressed.

The only thing I dont like about these rifles are the pistol grips on the stocks. I know some people thin them down, and I may give it a try if I ever see one that has been done.

I do like the stocks on the buffalo classics!!

Offline keith44

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2011, 02:10:51 PM »
With the right load the 45-70 will impress you.  Shooting it off a bench will get your attention
keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA