Author Topic: A Question  (Read 402 times)

Offline Spirithawk

• Trade Count: (1)
A Question
« on: November 07, 2011, 02:07:20 PM »
Ok, here's a topic I haven't seen covered. Lets say you are in town, alone, doing shopping or what ever. You have a Carry Permit and you're carrying. Lets say you have a heart attack, or other serious health issue, and the EMT's show up, probably with LE right behind if not there first. Say you are out cold and can't explain you are armed and legaly so. What happens? I can see an EMT panicking at first sight of your weapon. I'd imagine that LE would check your wallet for ID and discover you have a permit. So does the officer confiscate your firearm untill a family member can get it or will they hold it untill, hopefully you recover, and can retrieve it yourself? Seeing as how I have a bad ticker it got me to wondering. I'm sure this scenario happens now and then. I have a wallet that has a flap inside that has windows on both sides. My driver's license is on one side and my permit the other. The faster the issue is cleared that I'm legal, the better to my way of thinking.

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: A Question
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 02:25:52 PM »
You know, that would probably depend on where you were, and who the officer was.  Most I know around here would hold the weapon for you or an adult family member I am sure.  Some places you might not be so lucky.

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline Old Syko

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: A Question
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 03:16:30 PM »
Like mechanic has already said, it depends a bunch on where you are.  My son was involved in a non gun related incident where he was carted off to the hospital leaving his HK USP behind.  The attending officer, a county deputy, was still there when I got there.  He got on the radio and had someone immediately contact my son at the hospital to get permission to give me the gun.  Without being able to make that contact the gun would have been confiscated until my son's permission to release it could be obtained or until such time as next of kin, God forbid, could have been verified for release.  In most states I'm willing to bet It's not nearly so simple.