Author Topic: last idea for stepson.  (Read 1604 times)

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
Re: last idea for stepson.
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2011, 04:56:26 PM »
I'm a beefy guy. When I got my Ruger Lever 44 with that gadawful crescent shaped plastic piece of crap on the back of the butt I started wincing after the 5th shot. That little sucker hurt !!

I presume this is going to be a deer rifle, is a centerfire 22 allowed in your State? One of my best drop down dead cartridges was a 223 Rem.
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2011, 05:54:50 PM »
44 Mag comes in different levels.
There are the heavy mags   240 and 300 grain bullets
Medium Mags like the Winchester 210 Grain silver tips  and the Remington 180 grain Soft or hollow points
Last the light mags/ hot special rounds. -I make a 180 grain bullet at 1,000 FPS out of the revolver in the 44 mag case
The 200 grain silver tip Special is a pleasure to shoot out of my little ruger carbine  the same with the CCI gold dots. (they do not function the auto loader)  The big heavy hollow point will hole both lungs on a braod side deer and as long as you keep his shots with in his tallent he should do OK.
Wathc hin shoot . He may be holding he rifle away from his shoulder giving the rifle a running start into his shoulder and increasing recoil.  Load an empy case for him, make him think it is a live round and see what happens when he pulls the trigger.
My firend's kid will shoot one of my 30-06, the carbine 45-70, but you bring out the Auto loading 44 and he has this mythical thing about the power of the MAG!  When clearly the 45-70 out of a 20" barrel, even with the cowboy loads has more recoil.  The 06 he shoots till we are out of ammo and no complaints.  It may be jus the MAG word,   Dirty Harry did a lot to sell th 44 Mag and make it popular but those same movies made a huge reputation.  I read some where that Harry's load of chaoice was the Remington Hollow point Keith 200 grain lead bullet in a special case.   In the 90's when I first got a 44 hand gun, I loved those loads when I couold afford them. accurate and mild.  A lot of fun to shoot.  The CCI gold dots recoil the same.

Offline wileynet

• Trade Count: (30)
  • Contributor
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2011, 07:58:32 PM »
i know you have a 44mag, my daughter shied away from my 357 and 44, because of what? the magnum on the end, bought her a 45 long colt killed her first deer a nice 8 point muley, that was 20 years ago still the only gun she hunts with
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -Thomas Jefferson

Huntsman 58,NEF 45/70 manlicher stock, H&R 308, 30-06, 12 ga, 20 ga, H&R 223, H&R 204 varmiter,H&R 243, H&R 44mag, SMLE No 1 MKIV,SMLE No4 MK1, Savage 110 7mm, Ruger BH 45LC, Security Six, SR9, S&W 22a, CVA MTN Rifle, Optima

Offline ratdog

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2011, 11:39:15 PM »
some boys are tough some are a might timid you have to force them a little to try some thing. it just like trying to get them to eat some thing different the 44 special won't hurt him try it if he doesn't like it go back to the 22 for a while there is no hurry. my dad didn't allow me to have a gun my neighbor took me shooting with his sons and girls. they still shot his girls out shoot there husbands.

Offline mmt7714

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2011, 03:32:37 AM »
I might try some of the lighter 44 mag loads and see. I coached him through his shots to make sure he wasn't leaning away from the rifle or holding away from his shoulder. Like I said I don't personally believe the gun hurt him. Scared him maybe, but I believe most of the shyness to the gun is in his head. May take awhile to get him used to it.
Yes a .22 centerfire is legal in Mississippi, but I am very hesitant about shooting a deer with a .223. I know it works, hell I've killed them with a .22lr back in my younger and much more stupid days. I  tried to get him to shoot the 30-30 after the .44 but he didn't want any part of it. One question does anyone have any experience with the 30-30 reduced recoil loads. I have zero so just wondering about performance. Thanks again.

Mike

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2011, 03:08:10 PM »
A 223 Handi with a 60gr. Nosler Partition will kill a deer just as fast as a 30-06 will. ;)

Spanky

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2011, 06:29:26 PM »
You can reduce load  a 7mm or larger caliber to the point of them becoming useless as a hunting tool. That is where the smaller calibers come in. Most of them shoot well, the cost of making the ammo is low and they certainly have a much better trajectory then some of those reduced loads. Even a 243 Win can be scaled back a bit if that cartridge turns out to be to much to handle in full loads.
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline dangerranger

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Contributor
« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2011, 08:45:06 AM »
I have loaded 3030s with 100 gr bullits over 8 gr of unique. it worked for close range rabbit shooting. its still kind of loud but not much recoil. if you dont reload, the old Lee Loaders are less than a box of ammo, and will make good practice ammo. load a few for each outing till hes worked up to special rounds. its not fast but its shure a cheap way to go, and they make good ammo. you can also make a few hunting rounds with them using bullits not available in loaded ammo. just an idea. DR

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2011, 03:56:40 PM »
From what i understand about all the reduced loads, they are designed to douplicate the recoil of a 243 Win.
I think it is about the same as the 180 grain or 210 grain 44 mag loads

Offline cjrjck

• Trade Count: (70)
  • Contributor
« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2011, 04:30:56 PM »
130 grain Speer FP Hot-Cor bullet is designed for big game. 26 grains of Reloader 7 will give you just over 2000 fps. Inside 100 yards, it works well on deer. Recoil is mild.

Offline dangerranger

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Contributor
« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2011, 07:28:51 PM »
the lightest loads should recoil like a 22mag. DR

Offline ratdog

« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2011, 08:38:46 PM »
double bass .that's the way to do it.

Offline ratdog

« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2011, 04:31:58 AM »
try the 44 special first if doesn't work go back to the 22 for while there is no hurry.