Author Topic: One Pounder Whitworth 1862  (Read 1119 times)

Offline Starr 2011

• Trade Count: (0)
One Pounder Whitworth 1862
« on: November 11, 2011, 01:30:37 AM »
 Inspired by Shooter2s expedition I visited the Firepower exhibition at Woolwich, England, this week to look out one of my favourite guns, a one-pounder Whitworth.

Attached are six pictures of the gun and its fittings. The muzzle-loading, hexagonal bored barrel is cast-steel, 48 inches long overall and 9 inches across the trunnion ends. The tube has a brass breech ring for attaching the vernier sight and brass trunnion ends. The bore is 1.25 inches across the flats and 1.31 inches across the angles. There is a stub foresight at the muzzle but there are no marks at all on the steel barrel.

The brass trunnion ends have been “well polished” over the years making the marks indistinct, but a close examination shows that they read “Whitworth Ordnance Co.105 Patent 1862 Manchester”
The split-trail carriage is pale-blue painted wood, probably oak, the strap work and the base of the elevation screw have been nickel plated.

Four small brass plates on the carriage show its history. The first shows that it was donated as gift by a business associate of Joseph Whitworth in Manchester, England, where he had his steel works, to the “City of Edinburgh Artillery Volunteers” in Scotland on May 2, 1862. This makes it one of the first commercial Whitworth guns. The other brass plates show the military units that it passed through before ending up in the museum. Apart from exercises by the artillery volunteers the gun was never used in action but was a mess-room ornament for much of its life.

There is another identical one pounder Whitworth tube, without a carriage, at Fort Nelson in Portsmouth, England. It has a slightly different brass breech ring, is numbered 166 and dated 1863. That one has been weighed at 70 pounds.

Whitworth was advertising the one-pounder in June 1865 at a cost of 40 pounds or 200 dollars a tube, with “appurtenances”, shot remover, rammer, bristle sponge and wad hook, extra. Ammunition offered included solid shot, “rifled spheres”, cartridge bags, lubricating wads, friction tubes and wood sabots in lots of one hundred. No shells were available.

In the 1860s there was some writing in the military journals in England about using one-pounder Whitworth guns in mountainous regions, where the barrel could be carried by a mule or by two bearers. The ammunition, it was said, could be carried by individual gunners and bearers in pouches.

Cannonmns “Tolley” small pentagonal bored piece, featured in another question in the forum, is very similar to these one-pounders, but slightly smaller with different barrel fittings.

I hope you all like this small gun as much as I do.

Starr

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: One Pounder Whitworth 1862
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 02:21:11 AM »
When I saw the title I got excited.... I thought you found another breech loading 1 pounder..... Cannonmn has one in his collection that was found in a closet in Richmond Va. there were only two or three made......
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 03:32:28 AM »
     Starr,  Thank you very much for posting these very, very interesting pics.  Could you tell us what the loading sequence entailed?  Would the loader have to remove that large bolt, nut and split compression washer to release the breech block from the elevation gear??  What and where is the firing mechanism?  Beautiful Piece!

Tracy and Mike
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline Starr 2011

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 05:25:03 AM »
Kabar, Mike and Tracy
Sorry to disappoint you all, but this one-pounder is a "only" Muzzle Loader! The brass ring for the back sight at the breech is fixed to the solid steel barrel in front of the cascabel, with the substantial elevating mechanism, by small screws.
Starr

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 05:41:43 AM »
I understood it was a muzzle loader I think about a year ago there was a photo posted of one of these on a truck carriage with a similar bronze ring for the sight, I think it was set up so the sight could be used from either side of the breech... thanks for posting the photo's its still a great little gun.

Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2011, 07:24:38 AM »
Starr,
Thanks for some fine pictures of an even finer cannon and carriage. These are photos of the Whitworth naval rig that has already been mentioned. I snatched these off the net years ago, and the bore size given was 1.9 - inch; that should be flat to flat, but I don't know if it is, or if it's even an accurate measurement.

RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Starr 2011

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2011, 11:29:28 AM »
Cannoneer
Nice pictures! It looks like a 3 pounder, the proportions are different to the "pencil-barrelled" 1 pounder. If it is a 3 pounder it would be 1.5 inches across the flats and 1.66 inches across the angles. Whitworth was offering 1, 3, 4, 6, 9 and 12 pounder muzzle-loading field guns, and 32 pounder, 5.5 inch and 7 inch muzzle-loading naval guns in 1865.
I am no expert in Whitworth guns, but I have been asked about his special "shot remover" that was needed to unload his muzzle-loaders. It was also used with Armstrong muzzle-loading guns. Have you come across an ordnance tool that might fit that description? It was, as I said, a peculiar design of Whitworth's.
Starr

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2011, 11:11:37 PM »
Sorry Starr, that's a no go on the Whitworth designed unloading tool.
If you're ever in need of the exact measurements of that Whitworth naval model, there's one located at the Royal Armories Museum of Artillery, Fort Nelson, Portsmouth, England.

RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.