Author Topic: H&R 12GA Pardner, 26" Mod 3" - Useable hunting gun?  (Read 1843 times)

Offline Bullseye_Doc_Holiday

• Trade Count: (0)
H&R 12GA Pardner, 26" Mod 3" - Useable hunting gun?
« on: November 11, 2011, 04:34:26 AM »
I have an H&R 12GA Parner 26" barrel, 3" chamber, Modified.  It was given to me as a High School gradutation gift 10 years ago.  I've never really paid much attention to it as I've been more of a practical rifle and handgun shooter.  However, I'm now becoming interested in hunting Turkeys and shooting clays. 

Will this gun be effective as it stands? 

I've seen folks talk about having it threaded for chokes.  Worth it?

I'd like to see some pics of y'alls if you have any and success with game in the field.

Thanks!

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
Re: H&R 12GA Pardner, 26" Mod 3" - Useable hunting gun?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 07:23:05 AM »
Your gun as it sits will do just fine for turkey. I wouldn't bother getting it threaded for choke tubes. A mod choked 12 gauge will do everything. Just pattern different types of ammo and you'll see what I mean. Try both 2 3/4" and 3" ammo, sometimes the 2 3/4" will actually pattern better depending on the gun.

I use a mod choked H&R 16 gauge for turkeys. I've tried many high brass loads with 1 1/8 and 1 1/4 oz. of shot but it actually patterns best with standard Federal 1 oz. game loads. I took this turkey at 27 yards with the load mentioned a year ago in the fall:

"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 07:33:20 AM »
A 12Ga, with a 26" barrel, in modified choke is a great all around hunting gun.  It would do fairly well in clays also, just don't try shooting doubles.  ;) ;D

As far as Turkeys go, I would probably recommend a tighter choke (Full).

IMO, it is not worth it to have the barrel threaded for chokes.  Think about it, another barrel in the choke you want in the classifieds would cost you $55 and up (depending on type barrel).  If you decide to send it in to get it factory fitted, it would cost you $55 per regular barrel plus S/H + fitting costs.  If you wanted a screw in choke barrel from the factory, it would cost you $85 + $27 (per choke) plus S/H + fitting costs.

What would it cost you to have a gunsmith thread the gun for chokes for you, and then you have to look for the chokes that the gunsmith threaded them for.
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline cowboyup453

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (82)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 03:58:06 PM »
Your gun as it sits will do just fine for turkey. I wouldn't bother getting it threaded for choke tubes. A mod choked 12 gauge will do everything. Just pattern different types of ammo and you'll see what I mean. Try both 2 3/4" and 3" ammo, sometimes the 2 3/4" will actually pattern better depending on the gun.

I agree. Go shoot it and see how it does. :)

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 04:36:04 PM »
I use Mossberg chokes which are 6.95 each here.  ;)  Any Winchoke system choke can be used.  I have the turkey gun, so it came with an Extra Full and I bought the Improved Cylinder for shooting smoothbore slugs if needed.  ;)  The extra full patterns about 8" at 15 yards  and 12" at 25 yards with 3" 000 buck loads.  Kicks a bit but will do the job.  ;)
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline quasne.inc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2011, 06:57:17 PM »
Dont know if anyone uses steel shot for turkey, but I have read that it patterns about a choke tighter than lead does.

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 01:47:18 PM »
I've hunted everything in Louisiana and Virginia with a NEF Partner 12 Ga single shot with a modified barrel.  It is 28" (actually 27.5") so it will shoot 1 1/2 inches further then your gun  ;D .  Don't do anything to it but shoot it.  It's fine as is.

Offline STUMPJMPR

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2012, 02:52:43 PM »
Dont know if anyone uses steel shot for turkey, but I have read that it patterns about a choke tighter than lead does.

Stay away from steel.  Although steel my pattern a little tighter it's not as effective.  Steel shot doesn't hit as hard as lead.  A modified choke isn't ideal for turkeys, but it will be fine if you pattern your gun and know your range.