Author Topic: CVA Scout 45-70 anyone have any experience with it?  (Read 1789 times)

Offline dannyfro

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
CVA Scout 45-70 anyone have any experience with it?
« on: November 12, 2011, 07:28:50 AM »
Hello all was wondering if any of you had any experience with the new CVA Scout in 45-70 as I am considering the compact version as it would seem like a most ideal truck gun. Thanks for you input and insights they are much appreciated.

Dan

Offline Freightman

• Avid Poster
Re: CVA Scout 45-70 anyone have any experience with it?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 02:23:27 PM »
No experience with the Scout but a 45/70 in a less than 7# gun will be a hand full.

Offline Default_Required

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 02:13:55 PM »
No experience with the Scout but a 45/70 in a less than 7# gun will be a hand full.

I'm afraid I have no experience with the 45/70 scout either , but I can understand Freights concerns ... We have one in a local gun shop in 35 Whelen and with its light weight in that caliber I cant imagine it to be a pleasure to shoot at all, Least with the 45/70 there is no shortage of lighter loads out there.

I thought the Scout Whelen would be a great long walk up hills, mountains etc. type gun with more then enough punch for any job ... The 45/70 would fit that bill as well.

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2011, 05:52:47 PM »
I've never seen a Scout in 45-70. CVA does not list them and Buds Gun Shop has only the Optima in that caliber. Where did you see one?

Offline dannyfro

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2011, 01:37:01 PM »
Heres a link to just one place I've found http://www.qubemart.com/item/548662_.aspx.

Dan

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2011, 02:17:14 PM »
Good Luck as I see the rifle was listed as unavailable. Let us know when you get one.

Offline max1138

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 05:22:54 PM »
cva doesnt list a scout in 45-70 might be a while before you find one.  :'(

I do have one in whelen and it is a tooth rattler with heavier loads (225gr@2550fps)

I would not wish to fire one in 45-70  with level 2 marlin rated loads (405gr@1800fps)

just not enough gun to hang on to there.

I do like my little scout for an all day walking rifle, light accurate and I dont feel the recoil when shooting at game but for load development it goes in the sled.

Offline dannyfro

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 06:25:08 PM »
I was really interested in one in 35 Whelen just seemed like it would knock the piss out of you as well as the 45-70.

Dan

Offline max1138

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2012, 07:20:30 PM »
I was really interested in one in 35 Whelen just seemed like it would knock the piss out of you as well as the 45-70.

Dan
it will get your attention, I bought mine for our mississippi primitive weapons season where any exposed hammer break action of 35 cal. or better is considered a muzzleloader. much less fussy than the 58 zouave smokepole I own.

but its so light and kills with such authority that it pretty much stays in the truck with me full time now for regular season deer,and hog and whatever else needs shooting.

I did work up a light load of 44gr H4895 and 200gr ftx bullets around 2100fps that kill deer and hogs fine out to 200 yards+  that doesnt kick so hard and so far nothing Ive hit with it has gotten up.
the 225' tsx's at 2550 are basically  truck stoppers. theres nothing else around here that needs that kind of killing power, tho I hope to get an elk with it one day If can ever get back west.

if I didnt have the 35 caliber requirement I would have gone to a 7-08 for pretty much the same purposes.

Ive got maybe 400 in it and the nikon scope, sling, dies and such, not a bad deal for a nice looking good preforming weapon that meets my requirements and is easy to carry all day.
it stays in the scabbard behind the seat with a handful of ammo and I dont worry about it rusting or scarring the stock.

Offline dannyfro

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2012, 05:19:39 AM »
Still very interested in one almost brought myself to buying one....Probably still in the cards though. It sounds like a great walk around rifle. Does it balance well?

Dan

Offline max1138

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2012, 07:09:29 AM »
it balances very well, the midpoint balance is about 3" forward of the triggerguard. weighs 7lbs 4 oz with a nikon 2x7 prostaff using the supplied durasight mounts on it and a 1" nylon sling.
 a short light handy weapon that packs a wallop over any reasonable distance you can stand to load for.
 If I didnt roll my own I would grab a box of remington 200gr corelokt  and call it good to 300 yards+

Offline dannyfro

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2012, 01:05:10 PM »
Sounds like a well balanced package. I Reload my own and imagine it would be capable of 300+ with relative ease. Been thinking about one for awhile now. What would you compare the recoil to?

Dan

Offline max1138

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2012, 09:53:28 PM »
with the lightweight  ftx 200 grainers poking along its nothing worse than a marlin 30 -30  if that bad. and will take deer and hogs at 200+ easily

with the barnes 225's lit up to 2550 its distinctly uncomfortable in a 7 pound package, I wont do more that a few of them off the bench without the sled. but Im recoil sensitive and down to one good usable shoulder after a particularly  bad day at work a few years back so I am really picky about what I subject the good one to.
for load workups theres the leadsled, no way would I be able do do extended shooting sessions with full throttle loads in a gun that light. others it may not bother.

I think buffalo bore and some of the others are pushing the 225 tsx to 2700-2800 fps. no way for me, maybe in a fullstocked bolt action sporter that weighs 9+ lbs but not in this light little gun.
and im good to 300+ holding on hair with my modest 2550 tsx's so I dont see the need. itll shoot thru anything in north america at any range Im going to be shooting at as is.

its really  too much gun for our southern whitetails but it was bought for a specific purpose that it serves well.