Author Topic: sidekick m/l  (Read 1341 times)

Offline siamese4570

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Avid Poster
sidekick m/l
« on: November 12, 2011, 10:36:58 AM »
I was walking around at the tulsa gun show this morning when an older gentleman walked up to me and offered to sell me a sidkick m/l for $100.  it was stainless?/nickle plated? and had black plastic stocks.  It was in really good shape but i passed on it.  didn't really need another muzzleloader.  was this a deal?

siamese4570

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
Re: sidekick m/l
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2011, 11:04:21 AM »
I was walking around at the tulsa gun show this morning when an older gentleman walked up to me and offered to sell me a sidkick m/l for $100.  it was stainless?/nickle plated? and had black plastic stocks.  It was in really good shape but i passed on it.  didn't really need another muzzleloader.  was this a deal?

siamese4570

It was a steal!
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2011, 12:58:55 PM »

siamese4570

It was a steal!

What Busta said!

Offline JimG

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 09:40:22 AM »
I think someone needs to check your pulse. YES IT WAS A GOOD DEAL!!!

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 04:14:56 PM »

siamese4570
A stainless Sidekick for $100? In good shape even?  Give me the older gentleman's  name,  I'll buy it in a NY minute. 
Seriously, that was a super deal! 
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline yankeeapple

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2011, 03:24:07 AM »
my hand would have moved towards my wallet at the speed of light.......

Offline sunsetpro

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2011, 01:06:17 PM »
That is very ironic ,I DID peel out the money and bought it from the gentleman in Tulsa ,,,,I have been
searching for info on new BP for it so I will have other options than orange discs. I would like to get a copy of an owners manual . What is max load for it if anyone knows ?

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2011, 03:59:38 PM »
That is very ironic ,I DID peel out the money and bought it from the gentleman in Tulsa ,,,,I have been
searching for info on new BP for it so I will have other options than orange discs. I would like to get a copy of an owners manual . What is max load for it if anyone knows ?

sunsetpro,

Congratulations on a great deal. Does your rifle have a 5/8" breech plug or a 7/8" breech plug? The 2004 Sidekicks used a 7/8", 2005 to 2008 used 5/8". Precision Rifle sells a .25 ACP breech plug that works well with most powders, but if you want to shoot BH209 you will need a carrierless 209 breech plug.

This should help you with the load information, I have a 24" 2004 NEF Sidekick 7/8" breech plug, and a 26" 2008 H&R Sidekick with 5/8" breech plug. Both Owners Manuals are identical. Here is a pic of the load information page.

U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline sunsetpro

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2011, 10:21:41 AM »
    Thank-You very much for your reply .The Sidekick has a 5/8 dia Breech Plug thread.
You load info will be most helpful .
The Tulsa show is just amazing .I will be there in Spring for sure .Have got to meet so many really great people there ,was a pleasure .So many toys ,so little money *LOL*

Thanks again
Best Always
Scott

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2011, 06:10:51 AM »
I have too many loads to list that will work, do you plan on shooting saboted bullets or conicals? Most any Black Powder (Goex, Swiss) or BP Substitute (Pyrodex, Triple Se7en loose powder) in the 80gr to 100gr range will shoot most any bullet in the recommended loads range. Saboted bullets in the 200gr to 300gr range do well with 85gr to 100gr of powder or 100gr of Pyrodex Pellets. I do not recommend Triple Se7en Pellets with the OEM breech plug, they are not 100% reliable in my 3 rifles with the primer carriers.

If you wish to shoot conicals, 80gr to 90gr of loose powder and a 400gr to 480gr pure lead conical will do very well. I prefer the 440gr conicals for a .50 caliber with 1:28 twist. Another conical that shoots the best in my rifles is the 350gr Hornady FPB, with 80gr to 100gr of powder.

One thing I would recommend is getting a good range rod for loading and cleaning, and only using the OEM ramrod for loading a follow up in the field. If you want to shoot Blackhorn 209 powder, there is only one reliable breech plug option other than a custom breech plug. The OEM breech plug is not even slightly reliable for that powder.

Let me know what type of bullet you want to shoot, and I can give you some specific load information.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2011, 06:21:37 PM »
Amazing! It is amazing that the gentleman in Tulsa would run into two GBO members who post on the NEF/H&R threads.  ;D
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.