Author Topic: Hi Point Firearms Junk Guns?  (Read 2912 times)

Offline jdwolf

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
Hi Point Firearms Junk Guns?
« on: November 12, 2011, 01:10:59 PM »
Let's see some of you Hi Point bashers try this with your $$$High Dollar Guns$$$,  and see how well they hold up. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbvvurXmAmg
Help support concealed carry in Illinois,  show your support.  http://www.cafepress.com/sicc

Offline Bigeasy

• Trade Count: (5)
Re: Hi Point Firearms Junk Guns?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2011, 03:22:16 PM »
I watched about one minute of the video, then turned it off.  In the first minute, they told of having to cut the trigger guards to remove locks ( ::) ), hand firing special "blue pill" loads, and the .380 jammed on its second shot.  Enough said.......lol

And yes, Hi Point firearms can be serviceable and affordable.  I own a 9mm carbine that only jams once in a while.  But you cant compare the quality of manufacture and materials, or long term durability to say a Colt or Kimber.  When asked about Hi Point quality, I always reply - There are thousands of police and sheriff departments out there that are strapped for cash, and buy their handguns by lowest bid.  Name me one that issues Hi Point handguns as duty weapons?

Larry
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....

Offline John R.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 05:54:30 AM »
To my knowledge, NOBODY issues that CRAP as a bet your life on it weapon. To say that Hi-Points are as well made as top tier weapons is pure fantasy on somebody's part. If you want to trust your life to one, feel free, but please quit trying to convince other people that they are as good as Sigs, Berettas, Glocks, etc. If that's all you can afford, then by all means get one, if you can afford better, then get better.

Offline jdwolf

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2011, 12:57:18 PM »
I watched about one minute of the video, then turned it off.  In the first minute, they told of having to cut the trigger guards to remove locks ( ::) ), hand firing special "blue pill" loads, and the .380 jammed on its second shot.  Enough said.......lol

And yes, Hi Point firearms can be serviceable and affordable.  I own a 9mm carbine that only jams once in a while.  But you cant compare the quality of manufacture and materials, or long term durability to say a Colt or Kimber.  When asked about Hi Point quality, I always reply - There are thousands of police and sheriff departments out there that are strapped for cash, and buy their handguns by lowest bid.  Name me one that issues Hi Point handguns as duty weapons?

Larry
My point in posting this video was to show the opinion of (2) Hi Point bashers.  Why couldn't they get the trigger locks off?  Hi Point provides a tool for that purpose with every new handgun sold, did they have one, apparently not.  Did they have any tools at all that could have removed the locks without having to cut the trigger guards off, apparently not. 

However, after they cut the locks off and put the pistols through their torture test they were surprised by their reliability and how accurate they were.  You didn't see this because, as you stated, you only watched about 1 minute of the video.  Watch this video in it's entirety, then comment on it. 

Do I think Hi Point's are as good as a Colt or Kimber? No.  They're big, bulky, and made from pot metal.  But, they work and come with a lifetime warranty even if you bought it used.  Would you be willing to put one of your Colt or Kimber's through a torture test like this to see how well it holds up?  Would I trust my Hi Point C9 in a self defense situation, YES!

Help support concealed carry in Illinois,  show your support.  http://www.cafepress.com/sicc

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 11:49:06 AM »
Pretty neat.  I watched a couple of the follow ups.  Definitely not the finished gun my EAA Match is, but I've been thinking for a while of buying a matched set of the .45 acp pistol and carbine for camping/truck weapons.  hehe
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline tcencore3006

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2011, 12:42:39 PM »
For the price I would accept an occasional misfire.  The only reason I would get one would be for fun plinking.  I carry a ruger or a s&w.  I have been toying around with the idea of buying on for a while.  I mean for $150 I can have a 9mm.  Why not?
Newest toy? Smith & Wesson 4006

Offline cybin

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2011, 01:05:19 PM »

And how many shoot outs have you been in???

The need for a firearm that you can depend on is without question--especialy if your in law enforcement--for the  average person--I bet not one in 2000 will ever need their weapons to defend their lives. Besides myself--I know of only 2 other people who has had to use a firearm on another human being--not counting vietnam--so overall IMO its really a mute discussion--not one to get all heated over. To each their own.

My 9mm carbine after the first box of shells hasn't missed a lick in over 600 rounds--with only a quick wipe down for a cleaning. A friend of mine in NC has converted his 9mm carbine to selective fire, and is now working on making a snail drum clip to hold more rounds. As for the 9mm handgun--I should have more first hand information by this time next year as my brother-in-law has just bought one. Might be an interesting piece to play with.

cybin 

Offline tcencore3006

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2011, 01:22:37 PM »
That video has me seriously considering going to the gunshop and buying one.

Offline teamnelson

• Trade Count: (30)
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2011, 01:39:02 PM »
I was shocked by the results myself; I fully expected a slide separation with the red pill test. I could think of many uses for $150 throw away 9mm.

My only hiccup was handing a minor an altered firearm that had been through a torture test, to include submersion in gritty mud, 2 30% over loads, and 2 50% over loads. "Leroy Jenkins" might've lost a hand using factory ammo if the gun was compromised in any way after that test. It would be naive to assume that gun is just as strong as it was before the test.
held fast

Offline Bigeasy

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2011, 01:39:10 PM »

And how many shoot outs have you been in???

The need for a firearm that you can depend on is without question--especialy if your in law enforcement--for the  average person--I bet not one in 2000 will ever need their weapons to defend their lives. Besides myself--I know of only 2 other people who has had to use a firearm on another human being--not counting vietnam--so overall IMO its really a mute discussion--not one to get all heated over. To each their own.

My 9mm carbine after the first box of shells hasn't missed a lick in over 600 rounds--with only a quick wipe down for a cleaning. A friend of mine in NC has converted his 9mm carbine to selective fire, and is now working on making a snail drum clip to hold more rounds. As for the 9mm handgun--I should have more first hand information by this time next year as my brother-in-law has just bought one. Might be an interesting piece to play with.

cybin 

To carry a weapon for self defense, and be willing to put up with less then best available design or function because you probably wont really need to use it is, as you say, personal choice.  Just not my choice.  And in response to your question, in 30 years in LE, twice.  And in at least one incident, my handgun did save my life.

Larry
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....

Offline GEMSTATE

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2011, 05:56:48 PM »
What brand handgun saved your life?

Offline kevinsmith5

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2011, 03:04:35 PM »
NC Bureau of Alcohol enforcement bought every agent a $1000+ Kimber a few years ago. Traded them all in 13 months later due to severe reliability issues. Please stop trying to lecture us on how great things are based solely on how expensive they are. I suppose next you'll try to tell us about how horrible AK's are because of there low cost and stamped metal actions.
If he's carrying a singleshot, don't expect a warning shot!

Offline Bigeasy

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2011, 03:23:49 AM »
NC Bureau of Alcohol enforcement bought every agent a $1000+ Kimber a few years ago. Traded them all in 13 months later due to severe reliability issues. Please stop trying to lecture us on how great things are based solely on how expensive they are. I suppose next you'll try to tell us about how horrible AK's are because of there low cost and stamped metal actions.

Kevinsmith- I assume this is directed at me, so I will respond.  I am not "lecturing" anyone.  This is an open forum were you post something, usually an opinion, and other people post in return, usually their opinion.  That's how a forum works.  I never stated things are great based solely on price.  My RIA 1911, at $365 is a well made, and reliable weapon, and a great deal.  Ruger, S&W, Colt, SIG, Kimber, and Glock handguns are not considered high price guns, they are considered the average, and usually run between $500 and about $1000.  That is the real cost for a good service grade handgun.

Bryco, Jennings, Hi Point, and the like may work just fine for your intended use and expectations, and if so, more power to you.  But you can't convince me pot metal guns of this ilk are just as accurate, well made, long term reliable and durable as the weapons offered by the makers noted above.  But again, my opinion.

R/E the NC ALE "problem" with Kimbers.  Me thinks there is a little more to that story then meets the eye.  Below are a few quotes from the Charlotte Observer:

"The Kimbers replaced Sig Sauer handguns bought in 2003 and 2005 for about $685 each. The Sig pistols, which Chandler said were worn out, were declared "surplus" and sold to agents for $326.
A review of Internal ALE records going back three decades shows the agency has bought all new firearms every few years. The old guns are then typically sold to ALE staff, usually for less than half the price the state originally paid.
Records show that since 2000, the agency has sold at least 373 pistols and shotguns back to its own agents. Some agents have bought as many as six discounted weapons in the last decade, sometimes buying more than one of the same model."

"In addition to the new pistols, ALE agents have been issued new assault rifles after leaders determined their $1,495 Swiss-made Sig Sauer rifles, bought in 2006, weren't up to snuff, either."

The fact that Kimber only began manufacturing 1911's in I believe the mid 90's, and quickly came to "own" the 1911 market, and even now probably makes up at least half of all 1911 sales pretty much flies in the face of the experiences of certian ALE Officers.  But again, just my opinion...

Oh yea, I would take a modern piston AR over an AK any day.....

Larry

Offline kevinsmith5

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2011, 03:38:16 AM »
First, you have been lecturing. Go look at your first post. Second, the Hi-point pistol is if quite a bit better quality than a Bryco, Jennings, or Jimenez (the name Jennings are going by now). While a I will freely agree with you that the fit and finish if the Hi-Point is not as fine as pistols in the $500 plus range, u have to disagree with the statements you've mad about the reliability. I've fired a A LOT of 1911 and Berretta 92's over the years, in fact until I got my HP JCP those were the ONLY automatic pistols I'd ever fired, as I've yet to have a jam or misfire 1000+ rounds in, I'd disagree. As for police department issue, are you discounting the magazine capacity?  Most departments went to 9mm over .38 Specials because of capacity. The hi-points are all designed to be California civilian (and "Assault Weapons Ban") legal.

Offline jdwolf

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2011, 01:10:19 PM »
Pretty neat.  I watched a couple of the follow ups.  Definitely not the finished gun my EAA Match is, but I've been thinking for a while of buying a matched set of the .45 acp pistol and carbine for camping/truck weapons.  hehe
  You won't be wasting your money.  Don't expect a Colt, Kimber, Beretta, or Smith & Wesson, you won't get it.  But, what you will get is a .45 ACP that will impress the heck out of you for what it cost you.  As for their carbines, even a lot of the Hi Point pistol bashers admit it's a pretty good BANG-FOR-THE-BUCK. 

Offline tcencore3006

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2011, 01:18:27 PM »
Yeah but the carbines are pretty...pretty ugly that is :) 
For $150 I might snag a 9mm just for the heck of it.  If it doesn't perform well, I honestly won't be to disappointed.  If it does, I think I might just walk around with a smile on my face .

Offline kevinsmith5

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2011, 01:26:30 PM »
I don't have one of the carbines but I have fired all three at carious times when others brought them to the range. The 9mm has about the recoil of a .22 to me. The .45, with +p, has more authority but only 9 rounds in the magazine. However I have read you can do a moderate mod on a 15 round 1911 magand use them in the .45. If it wasn't for that I'd want the .40 S&W carbine....but now if I do get one (probably not though) it would be the 4595.

Offline jlwilliams

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2011, 01:39:52 PM »
  Wow.  I wasn't expecting this to be such a hot topic.

The only guns they make that I like are the carbines.  Kind of a Buck Rogers looking gun IMO.  I used to have one but parted with it.  I'm thinking about replacing it with the 45.  I just don't like their pistols.  Good for the price, but I don't want one. 

I understand and give creedence to all the positions taken but I don't see the comparison between HiPoints and their more expensive counterparts.  Would I do things with an MP5 (clone) that I'd do with a HiPoint?  Probably not.  The thousand dollar difference in price makes a big difference in how much abuse I'd put on a gun.  Now, if I had to bet my life on a gun (a 9mm carbine wouldn't be my first choise regardless of maker, but that's the comparison we're making so I'll play along) then the price going in is irrelevant.  I want to live, the best gun comes out.  But if I were playing "how much beating and mud can I put onto a gun" (a game I don't play) then the less that $300 gun it would be.

It seems kind of obvious to me.  Sure, no one is going to do that sort of stuff to an expensive gun (you see it done to Glocks, but not often to more expensive guns than that).  Sure, the Hipoints are crude by comparison to a SIG.  Nothing news worthy there.

I'm a little surprised to see this thread border on arguement.

Offline kevinsmith5

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2011, 01:45:37 PM »
I've shot my JCP enough that I can say I would stake my life on it. If it hasn't failed to cycle or fire in 1000 rounds I doubt it will in the 1-3 it wil take to deal with a burglar. The weight that so many claim makes it useless results in a recoil from 500 ft-lb energy loads is mild enough that I am on target for a second shot instantly. I understand that some people who aren't very good shots need more than 10 rounds in a mag to deal with a burglar....so I guess it's not for them.

Offline kevinsmith5

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2011, 01:55:57 PM »
As for the carbines- Right now if MR. Bad Guy shows up at the house when I'm not home my wife is probably gonna be stuck with the .38. She isn't comfortable with the JCP, the shotguns are too much for her, the rifles are too long for quick handling indoors, and the the .22's are pointless. If she empties that .38 into someone she'll deliver less energy than one shot of a 45 ACP from a 16" barrel. So yeah, I'm thinking about it....

Offline cybin

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2011, 04:47:16 PM »
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder---I like the carbines--I own a 9mm--it has shot very well for me---only handled the hand guns--will shoot one --this comming weekend (9mm)--I have handled the .45--feels like a brick with a handle on it-top heavy IMO---but then I don't like the feel of glocks either-they feel awkward to me. I think the .380 and 9mm HP handguns feel better to me than the .40 or .45--but for feel they won't come close to my Ruger P90, or my Illama .380 or Makarov .380--so as it was said before--this is a forum and each of us have our own opinion as to what is good or not so good.

As to North Carolina's police departments selling their guns every so often--there are deals made under the counter concerning those deals--I lived in NC for over 19 years and heard rummors about some of them. Kick backs, there being money in the budget--don't use and then you lose it, etc. After different police departments trade in their guns they usually show up at the guns shows in Charlotte at the fairgrounds---good buys for some folks.

cybin

Offline cybin

• Contributor
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2011, 04:42:23 PM »
Fired the 9mm handgun today--fired close to 150 rounds out of it and only one stove pipe jam out of the first box of ammo--after that it worked great--and the accuracy surprised me--pretty darn good. Only down side is that I think the recoil is a bit heaver than it should be. The browing Hi-Powers,and 2 S&Ws I have fired didn't feel like they recoiled as much--but it was still managable--no real problem. It also feels a bit ackward to me --but so do Glocks--Glock owners tell me it takes a bit of handling to get used to them.

My brother-in-law also fired his new 9mm carbine---about 100 rounds--no problems what ever--and the accuracy was very good.

Now in the past my nephew who  is a sig fan has had a few problems with his .380 and .45 sigs in the first couple of boxes of ammo--all guns need a bit of a break in period I think--up to at least 200 rounds or so. Accuracy wise it won't shoot as good as my nephews sig .45 or my Ruger P90--but it isn't junk either. Just for grins I shot 8 rounds at a peice of plywood that was about 12 inches high and about 18 inches wide at 60 yards--I hit it 5 out of 8 rounds--that isn't too shabby with any handgun in my opinion. Especially since I was standing and not resting it on anything.

I believe that I will have one of the 9mm handguns before spring time. I think it will be a great gun to have in your car--if anyone breaks into your car and steals it--well---$140.00 is easier to lose then than $300.00 to $800.00.

cybin

Offline chefjeff

• Contributor
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2011, 07:14:10 PM »
Each to his own. If I couldn't do better I would love a clunky potmetal H-P as opposed to lesser protection, sticks and stones and edges.However ; right past air,water,and food comes a better pistola.Kinda like a bologna(baloney if you prefer) sandwich vs. a ribeye steak.I do  like steak.We are blessed to have the freedom to eat what we want.

Offline jlwilliams

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2011, 04:28:35 AM »
... Only down side is that I think the recoil is a bit heaver than it should be...

That's besause of the weight of the slide.  They are straight blowback actions which is more common in small calibers.  The 9mm requires a big, heavy slide.  That slide jumping back translates into a high percieved recoil.  I imagine the 45 hits the hand even harder, but I haven't shot their 45.

Offline kevinsmith5

« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2011, 05:21:27 AM »
That's odd. No one else I know thinks Hi-Points have heavy recoil. In fact you usually hear the OPPOSITE. I know the recoil on the C9 I reviewed and the .40 I own are less than I'm used to in those calibers in pistols. You have to remember the heavy slide is designed to hold the breach open as the bullet leaves the barrel, it provides inertia to dampen the movement of the slide.

Offline tcencore3006

• Contributor
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2011, 02:00:14 AM »
I have had several people tell me that they have guns have virtually not recoil.  Especially the 40 & 45.  This is due to the sheer weight of these guns.  I can't believe how heavy they are.  I can't imagine how heavy the 45 is loaded.  I just held one in a gun  shop.

Offline tcencore3006

• Contributor
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2011, 02:01:16 AM »
in addition to my last post....  I would never go with any hipoint as a ccw.  Not because I don't trust the gun but because they are huge. 

Offline jdwolf

• Contributor
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2011, 09:46:58 AM »
in addition to my last post....  I would never go with any hipoint as a ccw.  Not because I don't trust the gun but because they are huge.
You're right, they're not a good choice for ccw, they are too big & bulky.  But, they make a fine choice for a home defense weapon or plinky at the range.

Offline kevinsmith5

« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2011, 04:03:49 PM »
I know several people who carry the C9 concealed. It has a reputation for being huge but is in reality only marginally larger (if significantly heavier) than a Makarov.

Offline cybin

• Contributor
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2011, 04:08:53 PM »
The .40 and .45 is like a brick with a handle on it--quit a bit on the large side for ccw or a car gun, but the 9mm and .380 isn't so bad. Not as big as a 1911, and I know several people who carry 1911's.  I think before I'd ever carry a hi point .45--I would consider the uzi first--but the acuracy of the 9mm I shot last week really surprised me--and where it is legal to carry a gun in your car or truck--why not? I think that more guns are stolen out of parked cars than any other place.

There is a gun shop in southern ,MO. that sells a lot of Hi-point 9mm's to truck drivers--the shop owner told me that they feel that if it got taken--either by the LE or by a thief they weren't out much--money wise, and similar to what someone said above--better to have a hi-point than a stick or a pocket knife in a sticky situation.

cybin