Author Topic: Hornet to Bee  (Read 484 times)

Offline manatee1947

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Contributor
Hornet to Bee
« on: November 12, 2011, 02:50:45 PM »
I saw it discussed here awhile back but cant remember, can a Hornet be reamed out to a Bee ? I was thinking not, because of the Hornet length or something.
remember the starfish

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
Re: Hornet to Bee
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2011, 05:33:33 PM »
Here's a link to an information page by site sponsor 4D Reamer. It shows most but not all combinations of possible Handi rifle ream jobs available. I say not all because I wondered why the 225 win wasn't listed under the 223. An email was quickly returned with the answer that Yes it's possible and he must have missed it when making the list.
Ask the pro's  ;) ; http://www.4-dproducts.com/submenu/Singleshot_Chambers.htm
found elsewhere

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2011, 10:44:17 PM »
The HORNETS dimensions:
Bullet: .224
Neck: .243
Shoulder: .276
Base: .298
Rim: .350
Rim Thickness: .065
OA Case Length: 1.403

The BEE's dimensions:

Bullet: .224
Neck; .242
Shoulder: .329
Base: .349
Rim: .408
Rim Thickness: .065
OA case length: 1.345

For many years, I was always under the impression that part of the Bees claim to fame was it was easily re-chambered from a Hornet... This is not the case, and doing so would result in a modified Bee with a long neck of Hornet length...

I have liked the Bee for some time, growing up my father had a Winchester 43 in Bee and Grand father a Winchester 43 in Hornet. Pop still has the Bee and the Hornet was left to my uncle. (Shame to as he is not a hunter, shooter or much of anything outdoors... another story) I have had a couple Bees too my first was a Contender barrel then Marlin brought out the classic line and I had to have the complete set... so I got a bee lever! One day I threw on a big scope just to see if the thing would shoot... it did! Easily a 1" gun at 100...

The Bee would be a nice Handi caliber, but truthfully could not do anything the 22H and 223 don't do already.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline geezerbiker

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011, 05:00:25 AM »
I'm half temped to get a Hornet barrel and rechamber it .22 Jet.  If 4D had the .22 Super Jet reamer, I'd be even more tempted...

Tony

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2011, 05:43:10 AM »
There are number of calibers that, as chambered, are long in the neck. H&R has some and Weatherby did(does) it on purpose to reduce pressures. In a single shot you may be able to seat out, if needed, because there is no need to keep OAL length to feed from a magazine, etc. It 'might' work fine at the recommended length anyway.
On my Hornet I was tempted, and a friend wanted it as is so it is his now; but it is true that a .223 can be loaded to any of those smaller cartridge velo levels and still have the full load potential. If I was still wanting to shoot a .22CF I think that is the way I would go.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline jeepmann1948

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (67)
  • San Angelo, Texas
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2011, 12:00:04 PM »
If you want a little more than a Hornet, consider the K version of it . If not then the 223 is the way to go .

"it ain't what you shoot em with......................
  it's where you hit em "

Offline gunther66

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (47)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2011, 02:07:46 AM »
I am mulling the 22/30-30. anyone have any experience with this one? Looks like it wouldn't be too much slower than the 22/250.   G66
"There is nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse"  Ronald Regan

NRA Life Member since '72

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2011, 02:44:29 AM »
I am mulling the 22/30-30. anyone have any experience with this one? Looks like it wouldn't be too much slower than the 22/250.   G66

I think it would be a good choice! For years I said if I felt I needed more HP than a 223 could provide in the handi platform I would build a 225 Winchester. But brass is scarce and it's rim small. The 30-30 case has a robust rim and is quite plentiful.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.