Author Topic: Pointed Bullets in a .357 MAG?  (Read 666 times)

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
Pointed Bullets in a .357 MAG?
« on: January 12, 2004, 07:23:46 PM »
I have some Hornady 180 gr. rifle bullets that are sitting around. I am thinking of loading them in a .38 Special case with 9.2 gr. of IMR4227. I have some load data for 180 and 200 gr. bullets for the .38 special with pistol bullets. I know the bullets were designed for rifle velocities for expansion, but I am only going to be shooting them just for fun. I can no longer use them in a rifle and they are just sitting there. Has anyone tried this? I know I have to make sure the bullets does not go past the cylinder. I made a dummy round to the cannelure and they fit in my S&W686. The reason I was going to use the .38 special cases is due to the length of the bullet with the .357 MAG case,  it will be a little to long.  :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
Pointed bullets in the 357
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2004, 03:54:14 AM »
Redhawk1:  Yep!  Played with that a number of years ago and it was just plain fun.  I even bammed a couple of bunny wabbits with them.  No expansion, of course, but they shot pretty accurately as I recall.  Also shot the 200 grain round nose for the 35 caliober rifles.  They just made nice clean holes when they plunked on through.

My only concern then was the same as yours now - to get the bullet seated deeply enough so the cylinder would rotate.  BTW, years ago the Illinois State Police used to carry armor piercing ammo in their Colt Pythons - as I recall it was a 150 gn fmj with a truncated (almost pointed) nose - but the overall length was set at the factory and there were no problems with chambering or functioning.  Mikey.

Offline Flint

• Trade Count: (0)
pointed
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2004, 07:34:58 AM »
Used to use 180 gr rifle bullets for handgun silhouette.  You need the bulet weight to help knock down the steel animals.  People shot them in Dan Wessons, Thompson Contenders etc.  You can use 357 cases in a single shot.
Flint, SASS 976, NRA Life

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2004, 08:35:38 AM »
Thanks for the replys. I am going to load up a bunch and go shooten. :)
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline 1911crazy

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2004, 03:51:21 AM »
If I can remember correctly years ago I seen pointed bullets for the 357 mag. they were for armor peircing well car doors anyway.  The only thing I can think of they aren't for lever actions with tube feeds the point can fire the round in front of it so pointed bullets are for handguns only.
                                                                             BigBill