Author Topic: ROA issues  (Read 895 times)

Offline JimFromTN

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
ROA issues
« on: November 14, 2011, 07:01:31 AM »
I am having a couple of issues with my Ruger Old Army.  The first is that it sometimes takes the cap to be hit twice before it goes off.  The first time, the cap gets dented and on the 2nd try, it goes off.  I figured I could try some different nipples maybe.

The 2nd issue is that the cylinder started jamming.  The only way to get the hammer back is to pull out the cyliner and the it works a couple of times and then jams again and I have to do it all over again.  Any ideas?

Offline Nobade

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: ROA issues
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 01:18:28 AM »
Sounds like the caps don't fit the nipples. All three of my ROAs work perfectly with CCI #11 caps. If the nipples have been peened over you can spin them in a drill motor and stone them a bit until your caps fit properly. Or get new ones.
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."

Offline rdstrain49

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011, 03:18:46 AM »
Jim;

First, the caps don't fit the nipples.  First hammer fall seats the cap, second hammer strike goes boom.

Second, what are you using to lube the cyl. pin?  I use Bore Butter because I'm too lazy to make my own lube.  My ROA never has bound up using Bore Butter on the pin.

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2011, 05:35:38 AM »
Misfiring may relate to the fit of caps and nipples but the cylinder lock up may be a problem. I'm not sure if you are saying the cylinder binds up from powder fouling or if it jams up with a clean gun. If the latter I'd say it needs a trip back to Ruger.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline Flash

• Trade Count: (82)
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2011, 12:53:43 PM »
Could be that someone switched out the hammer spring. The OAs have a heavier spring than the Blackhawk and Super Blackhawk, that will correct light primer strikes on percussion caps.
What doesn't kill us, makes us stronger!

Offline hillbill

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2011, 02:50:15 AM »
i had the exact same problem with the caps that you are haveing.mine seems to do fine if i seat the caps with a wooden dowel after putting them on the nipple.i havent experimented with different nipples yet.it seems finger pressure wasnt seating the caps down on the nipples.
i also had the exact same problem with the cylinder binding. it would do it clean or dirty,lubed or unlubed.i still dont know the cause of it. i sent the gun back to ruger and they said they didnt have the parts to fix it. they offered me the choice of either sending the gun back to me as is or my choice of any other pistol they currently produced.soooo i just had them send me a new blackhawk.

Offline Uncle Howie

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2011, 04:46:36 PM »
I had the same problem with my first ROA, purchased used.
The previous owner gave me a Ted Cash "snail" style capper full of caps. I got mighty frustrated with having to go "twice around the wheel" to get it to fire.
I tried some Remington #11 caps, and life got better, fast! ;D
Try some different caps, your nipples could be OK...