Author Topic: refubished scopes  (Read 2699 times)

Offline ratdog

• Trade Count: (1)
refubished scopes
« on: November 16, 2011, 01:49:26 AM »
i was looking at the natchez's  catalog they sure have a lot of refurbished scopes for sale i thought that these high end scopes i thought they would be more reliable looks to me there crap when my cheapo's break i chuck them that's what i did with weaver and tasco made me fill good just junk.would you buy a refurbished scope and they are not that cheap for used scope. :o

Offline sweetwyominghome

• Trade Count: (25)
  • A Real Regular
Re: refubished scopes
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 11:02:57 AM »
ratdog wrote: " i thought they would be more reliable "
---

It has NOTHING to do with reliability. Nikon, for instance, commands that any scope returned to a store be re-directed to the factory. It does not matter if the seal was never even broken. Nikon will go through a series of quality control checks, fix anything that may be wrong and then offer it to distributors as "refurbished."

Even if a scope was never opened and had nothing wrong, Nikon's policy is that it cannot be re-sold as "new." Hence, the Nikon refurbs are among the best bargains in the industry.

As to "high end" scopes being "reliable," the majority of the problems are caused by misuse and improper mounting techniques -- and a lackof understanding of what actually constitutes proper  mounting.

Offline jy951

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (60)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011, 01:12:29 PM »
I purchased a Burris Signature refurbished scope from Natchez once.  I thought in general, refurbs would be in very good to excellent condition.  When I opened the box, I was fairly disappointed.  The scope was not the model advertised and although the tube may have been functionally sound, it had numerous ring marks and was fairly rough looking.  I returned it and am hesitant to buy another refurb scope.  I'll just pay a little more and get a new one.

Offline ratdog

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 09:25:58 AM »
jy i won't buy a used scope you can't believe what the manufacturer says they always dump crap on the public. i would have to see it to believe it. ;D

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 02:33:30 AM »
ive bought a couple nikon refirbs and they been excellent scopes. Like was said one reason you see lots of nikon referbs is they have a policy that they send you a new one rather then fix your old. You dont see leupolds because they fix your scope. Bottom line is if you buy new it comes right off the assembly line and it could have problems. By a refurb and its actually been checked out by human hands. Only downside is nikon doesnt give a lifetime warantee but id bet you a dime to a dollar as good as nikon is about warantees that they would take care of you. Heck a few years ago i sent them a 10year old set of monarch atb binocs that started to have problems focusing at long range. they sent me a brand new set of monarchs one model better now those may have came from there refurb dept but they sure didnt look it.. another advantage is you can buy a monarch for the price of a buckmaster.  Hard to beat that.
blue lives matter

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 03:44:55 AM »
I wouldn't want any model that was refurbished that I wouldn't have wanted at full retail.  No bargains in optics.  Good glass, good design and good workmanship are rarely cheap.

Offline JimG

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 12:07:28 PM »
Nothing wrong with Nikon refurbs.

Offline tobster

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2011, 03:35:05 AM »
I have never had the courage to buy a refurb.  I have heard that some refurbs do not have the same warranty as first time purchase scopes. I believe the real bargains are the discontinued models, which are sometimes priced cheaper than the refurbished models. There had to be  a reason the initial buyer returned the scope. Maybe the manufacturer repaired it, but I have had more than one product that  I sent back to the manufacturer for warrantee work that was returned to me without having the problem fixed.

Offline sweetwyominghome

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2011, 03:54:01 PM »
Nikon refurbs DO have a lifetime warranty. For the 1st 90 days, it is the typical Nikon warranty -- not a dime out of your pocket for anything. After that, on a refurb, Nikon basically charges you the postage to send a scope back to you, though I have NEVER heard of them actually billing anyone for the postage.

Fret not with Nikon.

Offline demented

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2011, 08:18:19 PM »
 If I were to purchase a NIKON refurb from Natchezz that ends up being beat up like JY951's  Burris, will Natchezz take it back or will I be stuck with it?   This is my one fear of buying a refurb. 

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2011, 01:40:58 PM »
dont know but ive bought 3 refirbed nikons from them and you couldnt tell any of them from new.
blue lives matter

Offline sweetwyominghome

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2011, 05:44:14 PM »
You will not get a "beat up" Nikon refurb from a dealer. Rest assured that Nikon simply would not allow a "beat up" scope out of their facility to be sold as a refurb.

Offline Savage .250

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2011, 01:04:54 AM »
The only real attraction to a refurbished scope is the price.   Like anything else, you take your chances.
" The best part of the hunt is not the harvest but in the experience."

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2011, 01:52:12 AM »
you bet price is the attraction. I bought 3 team primos 3x9 nikons which are there older monarchs with a bullet drop reticle for about the same price as a prostaff. 10 times the scope for the same money. Hard to beat that.
The only real attraction to a refurbished scope is the price.   Like anything else, you take your chances.
blue lives matter

Offline Catfish

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2011, 02:10:47 PM »
I bought 3 Burrius referbed one time, none of them worked right.  :'(

Offline tobster

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2011, 02:04:56 AM »
"quote author=sweetwyominghome link=topic=245112.msg1099423471#msg1099423471 date=1322880841]
Nikon refurbs DO have a lifetime warranty. For the 1st 90 days, it is the typical Nikon warranty -- not a dime out of your pocket for anything. After that, on a refurb, Nikon basically charges you the postage to send a scope back to you, though I have NEVER heard of them actually billing anyone for the postage.

Fret not with Nikon."
                            I know a guy who sent in a pair of Nikon binoculars and paid the refurn shipping-ME!

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2011, 02:29:40 AM »
Nikon is always my second choice.  I'd rather have a Leupold but the Nikons are outstanding for the money.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline huntwithme2

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2011, 08:06:24 AM »
  i bought a refurb nilon fieldscope 50 ed.  used it the other day looking for javelina.  couldn't be any happier. very clear with no distortion.  they were crystol clear. i would recommend this scope to anyone. very light a pound or so 11 inches long. great for backpacking

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2011, 08:16:12 AM »
Well I have two I believe, both Leupolds both flawless. They came out of the Cabelas bargain cave. Who knows what the real story is.  I was told that they will give a customer a new replacement across the counter then send the scope in. It is returned to them and sold through the bargain cave. No telling what the original problem might have been.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline hotrunner

• Avid Poster
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2012, 10:44:46 AM »
ratdog wrote: " i thought they would be more reliable "
---

It has NOTHING to do with reliability. Nikon, for instance, commands that any scope returned to a store be re-directed to the factory. It does not matter if the seal was never even broken. Nikon will go through a series of quality control checks, fix anything that may be wrong and then offer it to distributors as "refurbished."

Even if a scope was never opened and had nothing wrong, Nikon's policy is that it cannot be re-sold as "new." Hence, the Nikon refurbs are among the best bargains in the industry.

As to "high end" scopes being "reliable," the majority of the problems are caused by misuse and improper mounting techniques -- and a lackof understanding of what actually constitutes proper  mounting.
Excellent post.

Offline shinjin

• Avid Poster
  • Robin Martin, retired LEO, CEO Public Safety Agenc
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2012, 11:55:01 AM »
I bought two VariX II's off E-bay and sent them back to Leupold for some upgrading and refurbing. I was impressed with quality and price. Bought two scopes for total of less than $200 (yeah, I know I was lucky) then Leupold reworked both for $79 each. Now I have another good pair Leupold scopes to MAKE me buy a rifle to mount.

Offline Lost Oki

• Avid Poster
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2012, 10:45:48 AM »
Have had no transactions with Natches.  I usually buy my scopes thru SWFA and especially their "Sample List web site.  Most all have been nikon and no complaints as of yet with them or the scopes.
www.samplelist.com

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2012, 12:39:35 AM »
Natches has the deal of the century going on right now. theyve got team primos 3x9s for 150 bucks. I paid a 180 for mine and thought they were a steal!! I can flat guarantee you one thing. Youll never again be able to buy a scope of that quality for a 150 bucks. By the way they have them both in refirbs and new for a few dollars more for you guys that are leary of refirbs.
blue lives matter

Offline anweis

• A Real Regular
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2012, 06:15:12 AM »
error

Offline Rock Home Isle

• A Real Regular
  • This is Rock Home Isle
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2012, 06:44:17 AM »
I have had great success with Nikon Refurbished scopes...
“Lost?? Hmmm... been fearsome confused for a month or two, but I ain't never been lost!”
Henry Frap the "Mountain Men"

“Ain't this somethin'? I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Mother Gue said to me; ‘Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men.’  "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline.”
Del Gue in "Jeremiah Johnson"

Offline koger

• Trade Count: (23)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2012, 02:00:00 PM »
I have 3 nikons, and 2 Burris refurbs, no problems whatsoever. And these dont get babied, sliding around in a truck, beat and banged on 4 wheelers, and hunted hard with, varmint and big game. One is 7 years old, never been rezeroed and been dropped twice hard that I know of, is on the wifes .50BP rifle, and she has taken one or two deer every one of the 7 years. Also, alot of these scopes are show specials, mounted on a wooden dummy rifle for dealer shows and the shot show, every year they have them in the spring and fall, Hence ring marks etc.

Offline Rock Home Isle

• A Real Regular
  • This is Rock Home Isle
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2012, 02:21:51 PM »
I've heard good things about the Burris products as well.
“Lost?? Hmmm... been fearsome confused for a month or two, but I ain't never been lost!”
Henry Frap the "Mountain Men"

“Ain't this somethin'? I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Mother Gue said to me; ‘Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men.’  "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline.”
Del Gue in "Jeremiah Johnson"

Offline Zachary

« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2012, 03:46:24 PM »
As many members know, I own several brands of several scopes.  I own Nikons, Leupold, Bushnell Elites, Burris, Nightforce, I think a Zeiss Conquest, and some others that I can't think of right now.  The brand of scopes that I have the most of is probably Nikon, followed by Leupold, and then Bushnell Elites.

I have a Burris Black Diamond, and somehow it got a little scratch on its outside lens.  I have no clue how this happened, but I was not happy when I saw it.  If memory serves me correct, I bought the Black Diamond series back then because it was supposed to have some special scratch resistant coating on its lenses.  I have a bad taste in my mouth with Burris, and it will likely be a long time before I buy another Burris product.

Again, my favorties (that I own) are Nikon Monarchs, Leupold VX-IIIs (and a couple of the older Vari-X III models), and the Bushnell Elite 4200s.

I have never had any problems with any of my scopes.  In fact, I once had my rifle dropped and it slided down a very steep hill.  I thought that my Nikon scope was damaged for sure.  Guess what?  Not only did it not have a single scratch on it (scope or body), but it still shot bulls-eye!