Author Topic: A better ramrod than the factory one (excluding Hubbards)?  (Read 2823 times)

Offline JimG

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
A better ramrod than the factory one (excluding Hubbards)?
« on: November 16, 2011, 10:08:00 AM »
Called Ben Hubbard today. Nice guy to deal with. Problem is that he is not making rods right now. Supplier no longer has the needed material. He did take my contact info and said when he finds some brass he'll make me one. In the meantime, is there a sturdier rod than the factory one? I'm really concerned about breaking this one. Yes I use a starter rod.

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • Trade Count: (144)
Re: A better ramrod than the factory one (excluding Hubbards)?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 02:41:18 PM »
I have never had a problem with the original that is all I use when hunting .Buy your self a range rod for practice and you will be alright. Kurt
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 05:01:12 AM »
I have never had a problem with the original that is all I use when hunting .Buy your self a range rod for practice and you will be alright. Kurt

+1

Just make sure you use it as designed. Collapsed for the first push, then extended to seat the bullet. The guys that are breaking them are more than likely trying to start a bullet with them extended, then hit the larger portion on the muzzle as they are pushing, then bending or breaking. I have been using the standard rod for 9 seasons now, and have never bent one, let alone broke one. Just do as Kurt says and get a good range rod for loading and cleaning. Save the OEM rod for loading a follow up and you shouldn't have a problem.

The Hubbard Rod is by far better than OEM though, in every way.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 02:46:31 PM »
Called Ben Hubbard today. Nice guy to deal with. Problem is that he is not making rods right now.

Bad news for Huntsmen owners.  I guess I will put my two Hubbard rods in the safe.

BB
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 04:10:47 PM »
I have a recommendation for those that need a ramrod now that Mr. Hubbard isn't making them. 
I  picked up a Thompson Center 20" fiberglass ramrod (made for TC BP pistols), and a 4" screw-in TC ramrod extension (part # 9039, full sku #0 90161 00349 1).  Attached together, this makes a 24" ramrod, compared to the factory OEM 25" version.  Taking into consideration the powder/pellets and sabot/bullet, the 24" provides more than enough length, to reload in the field.  The only bad part, is that you have to carry the extension separately, and then need to take it out of where ever you put it, to screw into the longer section.

There is a possibility that TC, also makes a 5" extension, but I didn't bother looking for it as the 4" version met my needs.  I currently have it on a older 45 cal, Huntsman.
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline JimG

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2011, 10:25:16 AM »
Please don't take my post to mean that he's NEVER going to make them. They are temporarily out of production.

Offline Brewster

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2011, 05:13:01 PM »
Not Ben's, but a good clone.

Offline OldSchoolRanger

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2011, 06:06:01 PM »
Not Ben's, but a good clone.
Is that a two piece deal?  How does it work? Who makes it, and what is the freight?
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline Brewster

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2011, 02:42:13 AM »
One of a kind.  I dissected a factory rod, sized the brass, determined what I needed for the threaded fittings and then loaded up my drill press.  The end cap is the rim from a .38 cartridge and the "grip" winding is Trimar rod thread.  The loading jag is a spin-jag.

Offline Sprint

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2011, 03:01:53 AM »
As Phatinjun and Busta said... If the ramrod is used according to the factory instructions, you will not have a problem with breakage.  Use the rod extended only when the extension is completely inside the bore.

I have been using my original factory ramrod since 1972 and have fired well over a thousand shots using it in 45 cal. and 12 Ga. barrels. Except for slight discoloration of the brass, it is mechanically like new.

Sprint

Offline Brewster

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2011, 03:20:08 AM »
What can I say?  It was an interesting little project, especially when I got #2 grandson (11) into the "engineering" phase of it.  And he did the wrapping and finishing, as he has done on many fishing rods.

Offline Kernbigo

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2011, 03:34:23 AM »
he has the material in and is making them again, talked to him a week ago (Kernbigo)

Offline Brewster

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2011, 04:59:09 AM »
That's good.  Like I said, mine was a one-timer (maybe more since I have 4 grandsons) tinkering project and a teaching opportunity.  Neither of which I am inclined to pass on.

Offline jenkst

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2011, 02:12:54 PM »
I ordered a hubbard rod two weeks ago yesterday. I called to ask if it had been shipped yesterday and he said he was waiting for more brass to come. So I took a 5/16 shotgun cleaning rod made by otters, screwed two 10 inch sections togeather and went to the hardware store and bought a 3/4 inch long insert with 10/32 inside treads and fited it inside the end that holds my spinjag. Total length is about 24 inchs. The rod is  solid alummin and is very ridged. I didnt use the section with the thin plastic handle. Think I will thread the insert on one end. Have not tried to tread it yet. Iam looking for some of the super strong insert glue used on inserts for alumin arrows. You heat the glue to apply and when cooled it will not pull out. Now i just need to find something to tread for a nice handle. Dont have a camera so cant post a picture. Any advice would be appricated.            Jenkst

Offline jenkst

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2011, 10:22:48 AM »
Used it today on two muzzleloaders. It works good and the inserts fits tight with no glue on it. Its also not 5/16 dia. but 3/8 dia. Still need a good handle.         jenkst

Offline tscott

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2011, 10:50:10 AM »
Did the same thing with a shotgun cleaning rod, as a take down pack rod... Removed the rod holder, and don't have the rod on the gun for hunting... (I've always had a range rod for all muzzleloaders).... 

Offline fast*eddie

• Avid Poster
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2012, 04:05:37 PM »
I cut a 3/8" diameter dowel 7 1/2" long . I start the sabot . Push it in with the dowel and then push it down the barrel without extending the ram rod . And yes , I remember to remove the dowel after doing this . It's a lot quicker than screwing around with adjusting the ram rod !
Semper Fi !

Offline fast*eddie

• Avid Poster
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2012, 04:08:05 PM »
I cut a 3/8" diameter dowel 7 1/2" long . I start the sabot . Push it in with the dowel and then push it down the barrel without extending the ram rod . And yes , I remember to remove the dowel after doing this . It's a lot quicker than screwing around with adjusting the ram rod !
Semper Fi !

Offline jparedes

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2012, 04:15:49 AM »
While at the bench I found out it is a lot much easier to leave the rod in its extended configuration and use the "handle" end for pushing the bullet in after using the bullet starter.  Then switch the ends of the ramrod and finish pushing the bullet in:

Steps:
1)  Push bullet in with thumb
2)  Push bullet in with a bullet starter
3)  Push bullet with the handle part of the ramrod
4)  Push the bullet down to the end using the extension of the ramrod

Offline fast*eddie

• Avid Poster
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2012, 03:24:41 AM »
While at the bench I found out it is a lot much easier to leave the rod in its extended configuration and use the "handle" end for pushing the bullet in after using the bullet starter.  Then switch the ends of the ramrod and finish pushing the bullet in:

Steps:
1)  Push bullet in with thumb
2)  Push bullet in with a bullet starter
3)  Push bullet with the handle part of the ramrod
4)  Push the bullet down to the end using the extension of the ramrod

That's fine for the range but not very practical for hunting conditions .( just an opinion )
Semper Fi !

Offline cap_pistol

« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2012, 08:50:49 AM »
A good after market rod can be found here. http://www.spinjag.com/giramrod.php I use there rod and I've had no problem with it.

Offline OldSchoolRanger

« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2012, 03:36:25 PM »
A good after market rod can be found here. http://www.spinjag.com/giramrod.php I use there rod and I've had no problem with it.
I don't think that this would work with H&R muzzle loaders.  The H&R ramrods have to be able to extend to fit the barrel & retract to fit under the barrel.