Author Topic: Traditions breech plug Broken  (Read 1717 times)

Offline Lon371

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • Why Not a Handi?
Traditions breech plug Broken
« on: November 17, 2011, 08:40:23 AM »
 Neighbor gave me a Traditions Sporter 209 Mag inline 50. It has a breech plug for #11 primers. Plug has 2 ears that the special tool fits in to unscrew. The original owner goofed and it is now stuck. He also broke one of the ears off!!. Also left it loaded. I can handle the unloading. Not sure how to go about removing the plug. Any suggestions??
It has been soaking for quite some time, hopefully that will help.
Thanks
Lonny

Offline DEACONLLB

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Traditions breech plug Broken
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 09:39:01 AM »
If you have not tried it get you some Blaster, spray a good amount down the barrel if it is unloaded and let it soak for a couple days should come out with little effort. I had a Traditions buck hunter pro that had a stuck breach plug and that is what i used to remove it, nothing else worked. The only place I have found Blaster is at wal-mart.

Deaconllb
Korean war vet. NRA Member
Fourth fighter wing K14 Kimpo Korea 1952 Fourth but first, the mig killers.
533rd material ,air defense Oxnard AFB 1953-1955
Pastor of the  CBCG-Fellowship group Tulsa Oklahoma.

Offline Lon371

• GBO Supporter
  • Why Not a Handi?
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 10:03:07 AM »
 PB Blaster? Hmm I just happen to have couple cans ::) . Guess I should have put on my thinking cap before posting. Thank you

Lonny

Update; got unloaded. Got out the first piece of the breech plug out. Didn't realize they were 2 piece. Will have to find the correct tool to get it out.

Offline hunt-m-up

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (27)
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 05:43:20 PM »
As a last resort, make sure you get all the powder out and heat it very lightly with a torch over the breach plug area, it will come out. I would try the solvents/penetrating oils first, but have had to do the heat thing and it works well.
Crosman Slingshot, Daisy Red Ryder, dull butter knife

Offline Lon371

• GBO Supporter
  • Why Not a Handi?
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 02:44:56 PM »
  Update.
 Soaked the plug down in PB Blaster. Soaked from out and inside. Ordered correct plug tool and new plug. Insert tool, tap with the hammer and tadaaaaa. She came out.
  Barrel is bright and shiney(yessss)
Dabbed some grease on the new plug threaded in. Happen to have some old rings and used scope. So for an out of pocket of $38 I now have a good used Traditions Sporter 209 Mag inline 50.
  Now if this dang rain will go away. Will see how she shoots.

Thanks for the help.
Lonny

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 04:55:32 PM »
Good job and congrats  8)  I have a Traditions Buckstalker 50 and it really likes about 90gr. 777 and the TC Plinkers.  I shoot the 385 gr. Great Plains Bullets very accurately also, but got tired of the kick!  lol  ;)  I've bumped it as high as 110gr. but that's more than I want regularly.
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2011, 06:18:25 PM »
  Update.
 Soaked the plug down in PB Blaster. Soaked from out and inside. Ordered correct plug tool and new plug. Insert tool, tap with the hammer and tadaaaaa. She came out.
  Barrel is bright and shiney(yessss)
Dabbed some grease on the new plug threaded in. Happen to have some old rings and used scope. So for an out of pocket of $38 I now have a good used Traditions Sporter 209 Mag inline 50.
  Now if this dang rain will go away. Will see how she shoots.

Thanks for the help.
Lonny
For $38 and a little elbow grease, you got a new toy.  Way to go!
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.