Author Topic: Located a 1960's Rare Sako H&R Ultra Bolt action Rifle chambered in .308 Win.  (Read 11568 times)

Offline Hammerdown

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Hello
I recently picked up a Very Rare Bird. I was in one of our local guns shops and spotted a neat mauser action rifle and asked to see it. My suspicions were spot on, as it was Indeed a Rare H&R rifle Imported by Sako. It is wearing a very early Leupold 3-9 Power scope made prior to the Vari-X series of scopes that shows signs of it's age by the Plum color but the opticas are superb. These rifles were made in the early 1960's time span and sent to H&R The trigger and actions are made by Sako and the barrels were made by Douglas custom barrels. The stocks were Fagen and checkered at the H&R Factory by some in house older woman there. The Trigger assembly is fully adjstable for creep and pull and is stamped Made in Finland. There were very few of these made and in my 35 Plus years of gun shows from the East to West coast and after going though hundrededs of Gun shops I have only seen one other like this. This one is chambered in .308 Winchester and it is a pure tack driver as shown with the sight in Target I shot at the 100 Yard line yesterday with it. The final hits were Four in the Ten ring smaller than an actual dime using some Basic Federal Power shock factory ammo. I can't wait to start hand loading for this after seeing what it would do with just factory ammo. I will be taking it afield this weekend for our opener of Our Gun season for Deer...Regards, Hammerdown

"yeah, Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of Death, I shall Fear no evil as I carry with me my Loaded S&W"

Offline Darreld Walton

• Eagles Don't Catch Flies
  • Avid Poster
Nice find!  When I was working part time at the old Morris Sporting Goods store in Great Falls, Mt., I'd see maybe a couple of these a year come through.  Most of the time, they were sold while still being cleaned up, and I don't recall seeing the same gun twice.  They, like a lot of really interesting guns, came from AF GI's who were stationed at Malmstrom.
Looking back through the fuzzy haze of a fractured memory, I don't recall seeing any with Sako actions for the .473 and H&H belted case rim sizes, all of 'em as I recall, like yours, used Belgian Fabrique Nationale actions, the same basis for the Browning Safari line, and a lot of the Husqvarna's.  Seems like the little .222's and .223's had the little Sako, but I could be mistaken.
Didn't get a lot of reports back on how they shot, most guys were interested in how light they were, and at the time, about all that would compete with 'em in that category were the short barreled Remington 600 and 660's, some lever guns, and custom bolt guns.  I can't imagine touching one of them off that were chambered to .300 Winchester Mag.....
I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. "Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men." "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline

Offline jim36

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (47)
  • A Real Regular
Yes, indeed. A rare find and also well preserved. Beautiful. A  ;D little envy on my part.
                                                                              Jim     <")))><

Offline Hammerdown

• A Real Regular
Nice find!  When I was working part time at the old Morris Sporting Goods store in Great Falls, Mt., I'd see maybe a couple of these a year come through.  Most of the time, they were sold while still being cleaned up, and I don't recall seeing the same gun twice.  They, like a lot of really interesting guns, came from AF GI's who were stationed at Malmstrom.
Looking back through the fuzzy haze of a fractured memory, I don't recall seeing any with Sako actions for the .473 and H&H belted case rim sizes, all of 'em as I recall, like yours, used Belgian Fabrique Nationale actions, the same basis for the Browning Safari line, and a lot of the Husqvarna's.  Seems like the little .222's and .223's had the little Sako, but I could be mistaken.
Didn't get a lot of reports back on how they shot, most guys were interested in how light they were, and at the time, about all that would compete with 'em in that category were the short barreled Remington 600 and 660's, some lever guns, and custom bolt guns.  I can't imagine touching one of them off that were chambered to .300 Winchester Mag.....

Hello Darreld Walton
You are Partly correct here. Mine is the early version which had the Sako action. The second and last series of these offered by H&R had the Yugoslavian Zavasta Mauser actions and those guns did not have the wild looking Fagen stocks on them, they were more production looking in nature. I have a S&W Impoted Husqvarna with the HVA 1460 action that is much different than this as Husqvarna produced their own down sized Mauser style actions. I was contacted by the former sales Agent for H&R and below is what he shared with me about this rifle. Regards, Hammerdown

I worked for H&R during the mid 1960's time span & Your Ultra sounds like it was one of the rifles built on a Sako (Made in Finland - push feed) action. H&R bought the actions, used Fajen stocks (farmed out checkering to a couple of local ladies) and used custom Douglas pencil style barrels. I had a Sako Ultra Mannlicher-stocked 7 mm Remington Magnum on loan from the factory. Handsome gun if you like the extreme stock styling. Dumb chambering - gun was a 20" carbine. Loud as hell! Shortly before I started working for them, the deal with Sako for the actions fell through, and H&R started using the Yugoslavian Zavasta Mauser ( true '98 actions.) Your gun is far superior, at least as far as the action is concencerned. All these guns were virtually custom made at H&R, and total production of all Ultras was very low. They were built in small batches and usually sat in inventory until an order came in. Personally never cared for the styling of the wood, and in 1980 - I think - they came out with an additional "Classic" model. These guns didn't last long because H&R went belly up in the early 80's. Hope this is of some help.
"yeah, Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of Death, I shall Fear no evil as I carry with me my Loaded S&W"

Offline HimWill

I agree with Darreld Walton,the rifle pictured is not a Sako.It is as he stated an FN Mauser.Re-read his post,accurate in all details.About the same time frame as this rifle was produced,Sears was using the same actions from FN in their J.C. Higgins bolt guns.As mentioned by Walton,the Safari grade Brownings used these FN actions too.
That doesn't take anything away from the fact that you have made an excellent find,it's just not a Sako.

Offline Old Fart

• Intergalactic Moderator
  • Trade Count: (77)
Great looking piece, what a terrific find.
The metal looks almost new and the wood other that the nicks and scratches is outstanding.
Thanks for sharing it with us.

Paul
"All my life I've had a bad case of the Fred's. Fredrick Vanderbilt taste on a Fred Sanford budget." CR
Lifetime/Endowment/Patron NRA Member.
Second Amendment Foundation, www.saf.org - Life Member

Offline Hammerdown

• A Real Regular
H&R Bolt rifle The Model 300 Ultra Rifle, a Rare Breed
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2011, 12:15:46 AM »
Hello
Last Month I came across a Rather Rare find. It is an H&R Ultra Rifle made in the Mid 1960's. These guns were a Mixed bag of custom creation and offered by H&R. They came with a FN Mauser Belgium action, Sako fully adjustable trigger, Fagen custom stock and a Douglas custom pencil sporter barrel. This one is chambered in .308 Winchester. It Left H&R around 1965 and has a very early Leupold 3-9 scope made prior to the Vari-X series that has Patent date's on it's eye relief. This is only the second one i have seen in 45 Years of gun shows and going through gun shops. I have been told that fewer than 1000 were made...Hammerdown

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (144)
Re: H&R Bolt rifle The Model 300 Ultra Rifle, a Rare Breed
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2011, 03:43:53 AM »
HD that is one fine looking rifle. Would you mind posting this over at the H&R collectable forum. Not even going to ask what you paid for it as I would of bought it in a split second at about any price. Thanks for sharing Kurt
EDIT  ??? ???  sorry forgot where I was already at. Had been on the Boltaction forum since starting on the coffeeeeeeee this morn.
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline PHATINJUN

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2011, 04:07:00 AM »
CW how bout one of these in .358 ooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhh yea Kurt
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (268)
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2011, 05:38:14 AM »

That is a beautiful rifle! It would be a shame to rebore or rebarrel it, but I do like the .358............................... ;)

Thanks, Dinny
Handi Family: 357 Max, 45 LC, 45-70, 300 BLK, 50 cal Huntsman, and 348 Win.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day that my child may have peace"
Thomas Paine

Offline PHATINJUN

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2011, 07:03:32 AM »
Dinny blow that pic of the printed advertizer says .358 is factory along with 300win mag 7mm .243 30-06 sweet. Kurt
Deceased 2/16/24

"SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (268)
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2011, 07:05:29 AM »
Dinny blow that pic of the printed advertizer says .358 is factory along with 300win mag 7mm .243 30-06 sweet. Kurt

I saw that afterwards. Either way, I'll take it!!  ;D

Thanks, Dinny

Handi Family: 357 Max, 45 LC, 45-70, 300 BLK, 50 cal Huntsman, and 348 Win.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day that my child may have peace"
Thomas Paine

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2011, 07:13:08 AM »
Hi guys, I have one in 30-06 and it is really a great rifle. I never knew they only made about 1,000 of them. Mine is in excellent condition and has not been fired much....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline knight0334

• Trade Count: (3)
    • Pennsylvania Firearm Owners
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2011, 07:16:39 AM »
I absolutely hate bolt action guns, but I love the stock on that H&R.   Its a shame it has that ding in it.  :(

The bluing is beautiful!  Almost like a Colt Python.    You dont see that kind of bluing anymore.
RIP ~ Teeny: b.10/27/66 - d.07/03/07

Offline Hammerdown

• A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2011, 07:48:06 AM »
Hi guys, I have one in 30-06 and it is really a great rifle. I never knew they only made about 1,000 of them. Mine is in excellent condition and has not been fired much....<><.... :)

Hello
There was actuallt Three Variations of this rifle. Mine is the first Variation with the FN Mauser 98 action and Sako Made in Finland adjustable trigger. The next variation had Yugoslavian Mauser actions and the last variation was built on the Sako L-146 actions. They were discontinued due to high Parts cost, that is why there was not many of them made, as H&R Only made the butt Pad's and crest stamps. They were all hand assembled at H&R when customer's ordered them in various calibers and the checkering was done by Two Older woman that worked at H&R. The stock's finish is urethane and after Hunting season I will strip mine and refinish it removing the minor nicks and bruises...

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2011, 08:27:14 AM »

YEA BABY!!!
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2011, 02:38:56 PM »
Thanks for that info Hammerdown. I'll check mine and post what it is in a little while. I had arthroscopic surgury on my knee on the 23rd and it's not as painless as they say. I have to get down to the cellar to the guncase and check it. I do think mine is a FN Mauser action (Belgium) as well....Andy....<><.... :)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2011, 03:23:34 PM »
Hello again, I got downstairs (and up again!!). My Ultra is indeed a Belgium made FN action. I forgot the last time I looked at it. I have the barreled action in a camo synthetic stock and the fancy wooden stock put away to preserve it. It is actually a little to fancy smancy for me, what with the contrasting nose cap and the rolled over cheekpiece and all. The checkering is finely done as I recall. I have a barrel band front sling swivel attachmnet on it but otherwies it is original and in excellent condition. I have a scope on it at this time....<><....:)

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
I have the same rifle in 30-06, same styled wood although it now wears a camo synthetic stock and the fancy wood is stored away to keep it safe. Mine also has the FN action. I have had this rifle for probably over 30-35 years now and have not shot it much, not at all in at least 20 years at least. The metal is still in great shape and the bluing is a fine high polished finish. They are GREAT rifles and seem to be few and far between here in New England, in fact I have never seen another one other than the great .308 in this post .
IIRC I bought my FN action H&R sometime after 1972 to replace a pre '64 Winchester Model 70 in 30-06 that I sold to come up with some cash I needed for a down payment on my house (that in itself is a good story). I was looking for another 30-06 bolt gun a couple of years later when the H&R showed up. I was not to sure about the fancy stylized stock but the FN Mauser action and fine craftsmanship and finish work sold me on the gun....<><.... :)

Offline Hammerdown

• A Real Regular
I have the same rifle in 30-06, same styled wood although it now wears a black synthetic stock and the fancy wood is stored away to keep it safe. Mine also has the FN action. I have had this rifle for probably over 30-35 years now and have not shot it much, not at all in at least 20 years at least. The metal is still in great shape and the bluing is a fine high polished finish. They are GREAT rifles and seem to be few and far between here in New England, in fact I have never seen another one other than the great .308 in this post .
IIRC I bought my FN action H&R sometime after 1972 to replace a pre '64 Winchester Model 70 in 30-06 that I sold to come up with some cash I needed for a down payment on my house (that in itself is a good story). I was looking for another 30-06 bolt gun a couple of years later when the H&R showed up. I was not to sure about the fancy stylized stock but the FN Mauser action and fine craftsmanship and finish work sold me on the gun....<><.... :)

Hello MSP Ret
Great to know there is another one of these still around. Mine is a Pure Tackdriver and I now have the trigger adjusted down from 6 Pounds to a smooth 1-1/2 Pounds with Zero Creep due to it's Made in Finland Sako Trigger that it has. This rifle can be very confusing During the time when H&R offered these they had Three different variations. Our's is of the first Generation of these rifles with the FN Mauser 98 action made in Belgium. They next used Yugoslavian 98 Mauser style actions then they jumped ship completely with the Third Variation ones that were Sako Built L-146 Control feed style actions which ended the Era of these due to high Import cost's. I feel Our's is of the best ones due to their supreme FN actions Mated to Sako's trigger and Floor plate. I don't know about yours but my bolt feels like it is on Ball Bearings when you cycle it. It is also Well Polished as I suspect FN wanted the very best out there as far as their actions went. The Stocks are Just Plain wild being a Fagen custom design with super nice grain definition and the foregrip and pistol grip cap wood differs from The High Grade Walnut used in the rest of the stock as it is Ganacalo-Alves the very same high grain definition wood used in S&W Hand gun grips from the Mid 1950's time span up till S&W ceased making their own wood stocks in the early 1990's time span. I am sure one would be hard Pressed to own a better rifle with the Mass Produced stamped Out Junk we are seeing these day's made in the U.S.A. it gave me all the more reason to buy this classic rifle.... Hammerdown

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
I agree hammerdown, the action on mine cycles as smooth as glass as well. For years I always referred to the stock style as "Weatherby" like with the stylized, sweeping, and futuristic look to it. The contrasting forend cap with the angled area where it joins the rest of the stock is very finely done and unusual as well. It is nice to meet another happy and proud owner of one of these early and original H&R Ultra Rifles. Perhaps there may be more owners out there that may hopefully respond....<><....:)

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
Regardless who made the action and barrel, it is one handsome looking rifle.  Best of luck with it.
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline Roy72

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2012, 04:14:03 PM »
I recently acquired one of these rifles.  It was my dads hunting rifle - he said he bought it around 1967.  Mine has the FN action and is chambered in 243 Win.  It had been sitting in a gun cabinet for as long as I can remember going back to when I was a kid - I have always loved that rifle.  I have not shot it yet though - got it home and cleaned it up.  I'd like to get a nice scope for it; he had an old low power Weaver on it that isn't really usable so I"m looking around to see what I want to put on it.  Hard to find much info on them but anything I could find had nothing but good things to say about them.

Offline Hammerdown

• A Real Regular
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2012, 01:25:02 AM »
I recently acquired one of these rifles.  It was my dads hunting rifle - he said he bought it around 1967.  Mine has the FN action and is chambered in 243 Win.  It had been sitting in a gun cabinet for as long as I can remember going back to when I was a kid - I have always loved that rifle.  I have not shot it yet though - got it home and cleaned it up.  I'd like to get a nice scope for it; he had an old low power Weaver on it that isn't really usable so I"m looking around to see what I want to put on it.  Hard to find much info on them but anything I could find had nothing but good things to say about them.

Hello Roy72
The reason there is not much on them as there are not many of them out there. H&R did not offer them very long and the higher prices of the part's involved in making them forced the company to cease offering them. I recently found and original H&R catalog from 1967 that shows this rifle and the Model 301 which was in Manlicher form. Now, I am hunting one of those and hope to find one as these are premium grade rifles are much worth the search of finding them... Hammerdown

Offline Roy72

« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2012, 02:01:23 PM »
Hammerdown,

I"m going to pick up the '67 catalog too.  I have to say, IMO this is the nicest gun I've ever shouldered (have it shot it yet though) and my dad says it was a tack driver too.  I"m thrilled to have it and I can tell by your posts here and elsewhere that you are very pleased with yours.  I've enjoyed reading your posts and look forward to more from you and around the community.  The only flaw on mine is that the floorplate release button is missing and I can't find a replacement - I'll keep looking though.  I will never sell this so I don't care what it diminishes for value but I'd like to have it if I can get one.  I"m new to this forum so when I can figure out how to post a pic I'll post one...

Offline Hammerdown

• A Real Regular
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2012, 12:23:06 AM »
Hammerdown,

I"m going to pick up the '67 catalog too.  I have to say, IMO this is the nicest gun I've ever shouldered (have it shot it yet though) and my dad says it was a tack driver too.  I"m thrilled to have it and I can tell by your posts here and elsewhere that you are very pleased with yours.  I've enjoyed reading your posts and look forward to more from you and around the community.  The only flaw on mine is that the floorplate release button is missing and I can't find a replacement - I'll keep looking though.  I will never sell this so I don't care what it diminishes for value but I'd like to have it if I can get one.  I"m new to this forum so when I can figure out how to post a pic I'll post one...

Hello Roy72
I found my Best bargain on the Harrington & Richardson Gun Catalog  by going through  Gunbroker.com. The Ones of Flea-Bay were Far too expensive. I got mine for $9.45 shipped to my Door. Perhaps a Good gun smith could make you a new floor plate release button I do know that the floor Plate and Trigger were made by Sako when you are searching for Parts for it... I hope this helps, Hammerdown

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2012, 06:46:50 AM »
That's a beautiful rifle. :)  I wish H&R would put that much effort into their current stuff.

Spanky

Offline 32 Magnum

• Contributor
Taken from H&R company literature and catalogues:
1965 - 1972 Mauser type action from FN - Belgium
1973 - 1977 Sako actions from Finland
1978 - 1983 Mauser type Mark X action  from Zastava Yugoslavia.

One exception - the Model 317 and 317P (1968 - 1974) had Sako actions, exclusively.
H&R Arms Co./H&R Inc. was dissolved in February of 1986.

Do you know what model number you have?  Serial number will help to date it.
Jim Hauff,  H&R Collector

RIP Jim, passed away on October 12th, 2012

Offline RIF

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2012, 07:28:03 PM »
That's a beautiful rifle. :)  I wish H&R would put that much effort into their current stuff.

Spanky
Ahem, there is more fitting, precise machining, and care put into the trigger on the rifle than an entire Handi, which is why that trigger would cost more than a new Handi! 

Never been a fan of the Fajen stock, but they used good Walnut, and the checkering on that gun is pretty tasteful.  You have a nice rifle that you could not buy for $3,000 today.   

How many Handi's does that work out to be?  ^:-/

I think she may have had a reblue somewhere back in time. 

Offline Hammerdown

• A Real Regular
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2012, 01:09:13 AM »
Posted by: RIF « on: Today at 01:28:03 AM Never been a fan of the Fajen stock, but they used good Walnut, and the checkering on that gun is pretty tasteful.  You have a nice rifle that you could not buy for $3,000 today.  I think she may have had a reblue somewhere back in time.

Hello
Back when these were made Fagen and Bishop were the two leading stock maker's for after Market stocks. I have a Remington Model 788 with a Bishop stock that is shown below I like both stocks but the Fagen has more bell's and Whistles compared to my Bishop stock. The Remington Model 788's came with a standard walnut stock that at best looked like a Fence post, and it was too bad as these rifles were deadly accurate and deserved a much better stock when they were new. The H&R Has Not been reblued I did get the orignal owner's name and he shared with me he bought it brand new and it has not been touched since he got it directly from H&R back in 1967. The FN crest stamp is a little weak and we both speculate that who ever polished it prior to it's bluing when it was made  at the factory got a little happy with their Polishing process making the FN stamp appear a little weak before it was factory blued....