Author Topic: Backing Down the power  (Read 750 times)

Offline hilbily

• Trade Count: (1)
Backing Down the power
« on: November 18, 2011, 06:50:48 AM »
Is it just me or are there any others out there that are backing down the power with their reloads. I am shooting a 7mm Rem mag using 139 gr Hornady Interlocks over 59 grains of H4831sc. Shoots .5" groups at 100 yrds and is nice on the shoulder.

Offline mdi

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
Re: Backing Down the power
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2011, 07:04:21 AM »
Yep, when I started reloading, I worked up loads (starting low of course), that were usually pretty hot. I guess I'm getting old (older?) and those wrist breaking rounds aren't as much fun as milder fodder. I'm now reloading low to mid range ammo with cast bullets (except my .223), which seems a whole lot funner...

Offline huntswithdogs

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 09:11:52 AM »
My days of shooting hot loads or the biggest magnums are over. I don't remember when it hit me that I didn't need to get my bell rung just to shoot, but I'm sure glad I did.

HWD

Offline Wyo. Coyote Hunter

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2011, 09:45:17 AM »
 ;) I still load or use the loads I have for years...when I carry one of my magnum rifles, I want magnum power...but I am using std. calibers more than I have since my first 10 years of hunting...I still hunt pretty open country most of the time and I like at edge of speed....also I have more rifles than I ever have owned so I am able to fit the rifle to the hunt more than before..I guess I am still loading the same, except for handguns...my ears won't take the abuse even with muffs...

Offline yooper77

• Trade Count: (33)
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2011, 09:23:32 PM »
I have done it since day one. Speed doesn't kill for me, but accurate bullet on target does the job everytime. Plus, I find the most accurate loads under maximum anyway.

yooper77

Offline StrawHat

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2011, 11:14:37 PM »
I am backing down on power but not by reloading.  I have let all the magnum rifles go and replaced them with standard calibers.  Well, that's not quite correct either.  The magnums and even some of the hotter standards (-06, 6.5x55) have been replaced by 50-70s, 45-70s, and a 405WCF.  The small bores have been replaced by a 22 WCF and a 22LR.  All loaded to original ballistics or a touch less.  Currently looking for a good Krag to fit that class of rifles.
"Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result"  Winston Churchill

"A law without a punishment is merely advice."  anonymous

Offline roper

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2011, 01:00:57 AM »
I've been reloading over 45yrs now and I'm far from being an expert.  I load for accuracy first velocity comes later but my rifles have some pretty good barrels so I get the best of the two in my hunting rifles.  I'm sure not going to use my age as an excuse to change how I reload.  I'll be 70  in couple months got my 3rd 30-338mag last year been on two elk hunts already and I should mention my elk hunts are walk-in and pack out same way good exercise packing  out hind quarter.

I hope I'm still around in my 80's shooting that 30-338mag or maybe thinking  about a 4th one.

Offline hilbily

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2011, 08:27:38 AM »
When the funds allow there will be other rifles to grab but untill then Ill keep it backed down. I bought the rifle because it was a great deal at the time. It is over kill for whitetail but it is what i got.  Would love to have a 7-08 but until then I will keep the 7mag at low levels

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2011, 02:57:06 PM »
After finding whole caribou shoulders badly blood shot after using max loads behind 165 gr bullets in my 300 win mag, I went to 180 gr bullets and kept the MV at about 2950 or a little slower for very good performance. I could get more MV w the 180's but don't.  Last year I was working up loads for a bison hunt, using Reloader 22 with 200 grain bullets.  I found a light load that is incredibly accurate and noticeably less recoil.  But since I had to be ready for long shots at really big animals, I moved on up to max - and got excellent performance on a medium cow bison and this fall on a small bull moose.  Probably the light accurate load would have worked for both cause in the end both were shot pretty close at 150 ys (bison) and 30 yds (moose).  The lighter loads are also a lot easier on the gun I think.
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline Catfish

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2011, 03:37:17 PM »
Well I`m still looking to push high BC bullets faster. I like to be able to hit what I shoot at past 600 yrds. and am still wanting to get a good 1,000 yrd. coyote gun. BUT, these are not what I want for deer or other game I plan on eating. There is a place for all bullet weights and speeds, just use them where thay should be used.

Offline patw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2011, 04:08:05 PM »
Not only less powder, but less gun.  I'm with those that like the noise and kick less and less the older I get.  Started off shooting the big stuff.  Lately, what I shoot I would have considered only fit for a weenie once upon a time.  I found that a well placed bullet will kill them just as dead just as quick as a super duper magnum that makes a big hole somewhere on the animal.  How dead do they have to be?

Offline max1138

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2011, 04:16:46 PM »
Ive backed way off on the whelen loads for my cva scout, 44gr h4895 200ftx around 2200fps plenty for whitetail and hogs  reasonable 200 yrd range. much better than full house 2800+ loads in a 7lb firearm  250s at 2500+ are teeth rattling.

Ive got another whelen in a handi rifle that weighs 9lbs+ the heavy loads arent so bad in it and the light loads are like nothing, similar to a 30-30 marlin  or less

Offline zoner

• Trade Count: (53)
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2011, 03:26:02 AM »
well, history tells me that we have become somewhat velocity obsessed......and for folks that want and need that i say have at it. I have a Winchester m94 32 Special i shoot with a 170 gr cast bullet at 1600 fps. You could say gee that's at least 400fps slower than factory loads it's also 300 fps faster than the 32-40 ever was and in it's day the 32-40 killed a lot of game and kept alot of folks in venison. When i consider that i shoot this rifle with a peep sight so if i did use it on game i wouldn't shoot farther than 100 yds it's a nice, light, short easy carrying rifle that'll do anything i need it to do within the range i'd use it, recoil like a 22 rimfire and i can buy 500 bullets for it for less than 60 bucks, looks like a pretty good deal to me. Velocity is a good thing, but i don't think it trumps good bullet placement and enough power to do what needs to be done.

Offline calvon

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2011, 07:31:15 AM »
I'd bet all, or nearly all, the respondents here have gray hair. I'm in my upper eighties and shoot a 35 Whelen using cast bullets at about 1800 fps. Shoots straight, and will kill anything I might be apt to shoot at, and doesn't beat up my shoulder. I got over the top-velocity bug whilst still in my forties. A well placed bullet from a 30-30 Winchester kills better than a poorly placed one from a 300 mangulum.

Offline zoner

• Trade Count: (53)
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2011, 09:00:51 AM »
well, i'm 60 yrs old and am not gray-haired.....i'm bald-haired ;)

Offline hilbily

« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2011, 10:58:33 AM »
I guess that makes me the odd ball, only 33. Where I hunt the longest shot that I have ever made was about 150 yards and anything closer the ole 7 mag just mangles if you even touch a bone. . I have friends who think that speed is the only way to go but ever time we get together for our homegrown shooting matches I come away with the win. We mainly shoot .22's but while they are shooting the hyper velocity stuff, I am sending Winchester Subsonics down the tube. Mine is more of a lob it in there but the groups speak for them selves. I have converted one of my buddies but the others are still holding out.

Offline DEACONLLB

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2011, 08:57:59 AM »
Well I am 78 and never did like a gun that kills on one end and cripples on the other and after I got back into reloading after many years I find that I can reduce the load and enjoy the shooting and I too use the hodgdon reduced loads in my 7mm mag and the deer fall dead . I have also found that in the Ruger number ones they shoot better barrel does not get as hot and hold a tighter group than with factory ammo, found this out when trying to get a 1 in 06 to group it was all over the place with factory ammo but with the reduced loads it shot a good tight group but at 78 and shakie anything in a 8 inch black at 75 yrds is a dead deer :)  it dont have to get there fast to kill just have enough thump to do the job.

Deaconllb
Korean war vet. NRA Member
Fourth fighter wing K14 Kimpo Korea 1952 Fourth but first, the mig killers.
533rd material ,air defense Oxnard AFB 1953-1955
Pastor of the  CBCG-Fellowship group Tulsa Oklahoma.