Author Topic: This is getting ridiculous.  (Read 2278 times)

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
This is getting ridiculous.
« on: November 18, 2011, 07:11:21 PM »
I picked up my new 45-70 Handi yesterday and I'm pretty disappointed. This is the 3rd new Handi I've bought in the last couple months and all 3 of them have had issues.
My new 45-410 bore looks like someone dragged 60 grit sandpaper through it. Strike one.
My new 44 mag had the stock bolt cross threaded into the frame... I had to re-tap the hole and buy a new stock bolt. Strike two.
My new 45-70 latch release lever hardly moves. It acts like it's binding on something. It's hard to push the lever down and doesn't want to come back up by itself. The latch engagement is perfect but when the barrel is closed there is no play at all in the lever... it's just acting like it's stuck on something. Strike three.

I'm just getting sick of this. None of my Gardner guns had problems like this. What is going on in Ilion?

I don't feel comfortable with taking the frame apart to see what the problem is so it looks like I'm going to have to pay my gunsmith to do the work for me. The thought of having to pay someone to work on my brand new rifle sucks but what else can I do about it. :-\

I'm thinking I've bought my last new Handi. They just ain't worth the hassle.

Sorry for the rant... I just wanted to vent.

Spanky

Offline Lon371

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • Why Not a Handi?
Re: This is getting ridiculous.
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2011, 08:16:16 PM »
 Spanky
  We see it time and time again. Everytime a company gets bought by a bigger company, the smaller one nearly always suffers. Not to mention employees want to be brand loyal. So when they have to work on a once competitors product, they pay less attention or just dont care. There will always be a few employees that care(Brian56). But in general the rest just dont and it shows in the Handi's over and over. Sad

Lonny

Offline ratdog

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 10:17:35 PM »
spanky i know how you feel i had the same problem with my 357 tried every thing if it is not right it goes back to remington  they will fix it don't worry about venting, i did it for quite a while you will get it fixed just a hassle.

Offline marine

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2011, 12:25:36 AM »
  I always worry about ordering guns for that reason.  It seems if there is a bad one i always get it. Its an irritating thing to spend money on something and recieve it in poor condition.  You should see if they will repair it for you and at least make it right.  My gunstore will send firearms back for me and it costs me nothing for shipping as long as i purchased the firearm   through that store. good luck to you and i hope its taken care of the right way.

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2011, 02:02:40 AM »
Spanky,

It's not just H&R and it ain't just guns.  IMHO it is happening across the board in this country.  Case is point, I am on oxygen 24/7 and i have system to refill my own oxygen bottles so I can get out of the house.  One of the bottles broke and I have had it replaced twice in the last week.  Both times the medical equipment supplier provided me with another broken bottle. >:(   Spanky, at least with a broken gun you don't turn blue and blackout. :o   Just kiddin on the passin' out, I have pidgeon holed a couple of spare bottles. ;)

Maybe it is time for the H&R Calvary (brian56) to come to your rescue?  Good luck with your Handis and hope you do well in the field this fall.

BB
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline otterbob

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2011, 04:40:37 AM »
  It is a problem !

I just received a 357 talo barrel fitted to my SB1 frame and when I took it out of the box the front sight was turned about 20 degrees. After checking it I found the screw so loose only one thread was holding the sight on. I checked the rear sight that was not moving but found the screws there loose also.
Point is ANYONE could have seen this problem. With the 40 percent price increase in barrel prices and sloppy workmanship they are going to lose customers.

Otter Bob

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2011, 05:04:07 AM »
  It is a problem !

I just received a 357 talo barrel fitted to my SB1 frame and when I took it out of the box the front sight was turned about 20 degrees. After checking it I found the screw so loose only one thread was holding the sight on. I checked the rear sight that was not moving but found the screws there loose also.
Point is ANYONE could have seen this problem. With the 40 percent price increase in barrel prices and sloppy workmanship they are going to lose customers.

Otter Bob

After I read your post I went and checked the sights on the 45-70... they were both loose. :(
The thing that really bugs me is that the price at my dealer has gone up $30 in the last 2 years and the quality is getting worse. Higher prices for lesser quality?? Just don't seem right to me.

Spanky

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2011, 05:14:49 AM »
SIGH ...
  I have several H&Rs..but no Marlingtons or Remlins..  I really like my H&Rs..but it doesn't look good..

has Rossi cleaned up on this ?  Seems like Marlington would be concerned...

Savage used to make the old 219  & 220 lines of shotgun/rifles, just as NEF..  The original 219 had beautiful lines; almost like a European "stalking rifle"..

As I recall, they were available in Hornet or 30/30...  I bought a 219L (.22 Hornet, 26") new in 1965.  That's a 219 with a little side lever to open the breech.  I have recently given it to my Marine grandson..it has always been a tackdriver and he really enjoys it.
  Anybody here have an "in" with Savage.....  THey could charge somewhat more and make barrels interchangeable.  Then they could let dealers stock a good supply of barrels.
   Just imagine, big game season.. you can stop by your local gun shop and make your Hornet into a .270 or .308 Win...just like that !

If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline JB White

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2011, 07:25:05 AM »
Hello. This is my first posting here. I too recently bought a 45-70 Handi. After getting talked out of my 1884 Springfield I realized I needed something to burn up all of my BP 45-70 rounds and components. ;)
The lever latch and action was much too tight on mine when I got it. The forend wasn't fit very well and it was tightly binding to the receiver. So tight I almost had to break it open over my knee. Aside from cleaning up some sloppy inletting, I took a light whisk (about 1/3 of a kerf) off the back end of the forend and it's working fine now. Just enough drag when opening to let me know it's there and the latch is much easier to depress.
 After putting 40 BP rounds through it I decided it was a keeper in the accuracy department. Right now it's in pieces as I'm recontouring the stock to fit me a tad better. Also, I know now why you all call them "pallet wood" stocks!

Cheers,
        JB

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2011, 07:29:39 AM »
SIGH ...
  I have several H&Rs..but no Marlingtons or Remlins..  I really like my H&Rs..but it doesn't look good..

has Rossi cleaned up on this ?  Seems like Marlington would be concerned...

Savage used to make the old 219  & 220 lines of shotgun/rifles, just as NEF..  The original 219 had beautiful lines; almost like a European "stalking rifle"..

As I recall, they were available in Hornet or 30/30...  I bought a 219L (.22 Hornet, 26") new in 1965.  That's a 219 with a little side lever to open the breech.  I have recently given it to my Marine grandson..it has always been a tackdriver and he really enjoys it.
  Anybody here have an "in" with Savage.....  THey could charge somewhat more and make barrels interchangeable.  Then they could let dealers stock a good supply of barrels.
   Just imagine, big game season.. you can stop by your local gun shop and make your Hornet into a .270 or .308 Win...just like that !

On Rossi's many are finding the same issues.  Actually with Taurus in general comments have been going back into the toilet.
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2011, 08:20:35 AM »
Spanky, if you like the rifle otherwise it really isnt that hard to disassemble and tune up the latch lever without paying someone or sending it back. I agree we should not have these issues, but when we do this is one action that a reasonable 'handi' guy with some careful work can fix. After all, if someone at the factory can put it together that poorly, somebody else that is a little more careful can make it better.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2011, 11:50:20 AM »
After all, if someone at the factory can put it together that poorly, somebody else that is a little more careful can make it better.

That's a good point. One of these days I'm gonna have to get over the jitters and take one of them apart to see what makes 'em tick. :) 

Spanky

Offline Jimbo47

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2011, 12:29:59 PM »
Isn't that the reason we buy these rifles, because we like to tinker and fondle these Handi's?
My culled down Handi's are the 45-70, and then I have a few others to keep it company...357 Mag/Max. .45 LC/.454 Casull Carbine, .243 Ultra, and 20 gauge Tracker II.

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2011, 01:37:36 PM »
Spanky,

After you finish putting your first receiver back together I will buy the "spare" parts from you. ::)   Just kidding of course.  I waited a long while before I took one apart, after the first one it is no big deal.  The engineering, even with the stupid lifter/striker, is very neat in its simplicity.  Pick your oldest or least favorite receiver and give it a go.

BB
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline montanahunter2009

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2011, 10:28:52 AM »
we are in this fix because we allowed the government the ability to regulate wehat was not theirs to regulate.  the right to keep and bear arms was not the governments to tamper with.  but we just sat back and allowed them to do it.  they started small, as they always do, and because it didn't effect us personally we just shrugged and let it happen.  it sounded good keeping people safe.  but that is the same justifcation that hitler and every despot in history has used to usurp individual rights.  we need to repeal every peice of firearm legislation passed since 1776.  then small business can flourish.  building and maintaining firearms with quality and dependability.  and stopping nat your local gun store to change calibers on your way to the hun ting stand will be a reality and not just a dream.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2011, 11:03:12 AM »
Let's keep this on topic, if anyone wants to discuss the politics of guns and ownership, there are other forums to do so.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline keith44

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2011, 08:53:40 PM »
I suppose I have just been lucky.  My .22 K-Hornet, and my .45-70 have been trouble free since I purchased them.  They share a .44 mag extra barrel, also trouble free switching from one to another frame.  I bought the K-Hornet used for $125 about 8 years ago, the .45-70 I have had for 5 years, the .44 Mag barrel was bought sometime in between the two.  I hope you can find a solution to what plaques your Handis, they really are great guns, once you get passed the stigma of liking a cheap rifle.

keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2011, 11:30:12 PM »
Sorry to read of the troubles Spanky... I too find these kinds of issues inexcusable.

I'm with ya on no new ones for me either! With all the horror stories of accessory barrels, I swore off them too, so no extra barrels either, simply too many problems. I'll buy my barrels here from the guys and receivers local dealers or guys here. I fit myself and I know what I have and I know it will work, no issues. ;)

I like the H&Rs allot, I like tinkering and accept there shortcomings. I'll buy older models and "adjust" them myself if needed. I refuse to accept the short comings of the new manufacturer/owner (s).

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2011, 12:32:30 AM »
Sorry to read of the troubles Spanky... I too find these kinds of issues inexcusable.

I'm with ya on no new ones for me either! With all the horror stories of accessorie barels, I swore off them too, so no extra barrels either, simply too many problems. I'll buy my barrels here from the guys and receivers local dealers or guys here. I fit myself and I know what I have and I know it will work, no issues. ;)

I like the H&Rs allot, I like tinkering and accept there shortcomings. I'll buy older models and "adjust" them myself if needed. I refuse to accept the short comings of the new manufacturer/owner (s).

CW

I'm with you on that CW. The only new one I have purchased in the last 10 years was a 28 ga. for the wife and grandyoungins to shoot.

I have a switch barrel .223-30-06 set up and these are barrels I headspaced on a purchased receiver that I slicked up. Other than that I have a bunch of 30-30 Topper barrels I am setting up on newer receivers, to pass onto the grandboys.

Spanky sorry also to hear about the problems. I purchased a 7mm-08 CVA Scout Stainless ($308) and hunted with it this year in Manysodas. The stainless and lightweight attracted me to it.  It has performed flawlessly right out of the box with a nice trigger pull. At first it seemed "different" to handle. Now it has kinda grown on me. Even getting use to the breeching lever in front of the trigger guard which didn't even open accidentally when still hunting in some thick undergrowth in the pine hills. This is not bashing handi's or propping up CVA, just telling it like it is.

Hopefully the QC will improve at the plant where the H&Rs are produced. I really like the platform and the ease of use of my handi type rifles. Seems the handi's need some tinkering to preform well most of the time.

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2011, 01:11:26 AM »
I'm wondering if the problems are affecting Remington firearms as well.  I've seen the decline in quality of the Marlins, but a freind just bought a new 700 that won't open after shot #1, bolt frozen in place, with factory Rem. ammo.  His may just be a dud, but I wonder?

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline ratdog

« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2011, 04:23:22 AM »
i think the people they hire to do some jobs are getting on the job training and have used the guns we are having trouble with they are called       Guinea pig guns. ???

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2011, 04:30:20 AM »
Savage is looking better every day !
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2011, 09:08:19 AM »
I didnt want a Savage, I wanted a USA made tip-up (or break action, if you prefer), single shot rifle. Now I have several, and in spite of a few issues most that Ive had have been good to go out of the box. I dont think it is true that  most of them need work, or to be tweaked; I think that because 'we' are tweakers you read about it so much here. We aint bored or boring..........
FWIW, Ive had a number of fancier, much higher priced, and well regarded single shot rifles through the years. Several of them had issues too. Also note that I used the past tense on those firearms. For some strange reason these H&Rs are the ones that have stayed.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline gjgalligan

« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2011, 03:21:05 PM »
I'm wondering if the problems are affecting Remington firearms as well.  I've seen the decline in quality of the Marlins, but a freind just bought a new 700 that won't open after shot #1, bolt frozen in place, with factory Rem. ammo.  His may just be a dud, but I wonder?

Ben

I have been hearing a lot of complaints about the Remingtons, I know the QC on the Rem ammo is way down.

Offline The Hermit

• A Real Regular
  • Security is the ability to take care of yourself.
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2011, 03:35:26 PM »
Being old and "sometimes" cranky, I feel a man shouldn't have to fix anything he bought new. I send them back to the factory just on principal.
Used firearms are different. I buy the $35 forelorn rifle or shotgun and fix it up. Then I give it to a kid thats just starting out. It ALWAYS costs me more than the gun is worth, but it's worth it to me. But I'll be darned if I'll fix a new one. Told ya I was cranky.  ;D

The Hermit

Offline ratdog

« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2011, 11:50:14 PM »
spanky had the same problem with the stock bolt on my 44 tap was pretty worn out when they tapped mine re tapped it fine now this i a real good shooter. how is yours shooting?i have all the bugs out mine now really not that mush trouble if you think about it now. but i was pissed like you. life is great but challenging hang in there bud. ;D

Offline semperfi1970

• Avid Poster
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2011, 05:50:24 AM »
Well folks not to start a riot or some debate but the problem with H&R is Remington and the long history of poor products with great marketing. And to think some folks laughed at Savage owners back in the day.

Offline Singlebarrel

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2011, 07:45:59 AM »
I am old and busted up and tend to be a little cranky myself.  I am with the Hermit on this one.  It does not matter where it is made or how much or how little it cost.  If someone sells you a new product they are representing it to work out of the box unless they specify otherwise.  If it does not work it is a ripoff.  Period.  I did not see any disclaimers on the 44 Mag. I sent back three times or the replacement rifle they sent me that also went back.  A quality control issue should be an extremely rare occasion.

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2011, 11:32:10 AM »
spanky had the same problem with the stock bolt on my 44 tap was pretty worn out when they tapped mine re tapped it fine now this i a real good shooter. how is yours shooting?i have all the bugs out mine now really not that mush trouble if you think about it now. but i was pissed like you. life is great but challenging hang in there bud. ;D

Having to re-tap the hole wasn't a big deal but it's the point that it left the factory like that... that's why I was frustrated.
The good news is that it shoots awesome. I mean really awesome!! ;D

Spanky

Offline ratdog

« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2011, 07:55:02 PM »
spanky good to here your 44 is shooting good mine is to. haven't shot my lead reloads yet.