Author Topic: Trigger job on a 12 gauge USH?  (Read 487 times)

Offline Forestclimber

• Trade Count: (38)
  • A Real Regular
Trigger job on a 12 gauge USH?
« on: November 19, 2011, 11:35:09 AM »
Is it difficult for a good gunsmith to do a trigger job on a 12 gauge ultra Slug Hunter?  I'm not a gunsmith, but I'm sure that some guns are easier to do trigger jobs on than others.  I don't want a hair trigger.  Just one that is a little lighter and smoother.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Trigger job on a 12 gauge USH?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2011, 11:37:18 AM »
If he's competent, many aren't and won't even touch them, but it's not hard, many here have done their own that have never done any trigger work before, complete detailed instructions can be found in the FAQs and Help sticky.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 03:29:51 PM »
Anybody who can tune a trigger on a single action Colt's Mdl. P type revolver will understand the principles, but you wont get a 'hair trigger' even if you try 'cause then it wont last.
That said, anybody who can be careful with tools can pull one down, clean and lightly (LIGHTLY) stone the sliding surfaces and put some old Gunslick or, my favorite, anti seize compound, on the sear tip and hammer notch and reassemble will have done what most 'gunsmiths will charge you $50 or more for.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline STUMPJMPR

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 01:32:07 AM »
I never use polishing stones.  Usually I use a dremel with a felt bob and polishing compound.  Just buff it until it shines a little.  The reason for the hard trigger pulls are the rough surfaces binding against each other.