Author Topic: Handi Recoil Reduction  (Read 2848 times)

Offline mdwest

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
Handi Recoil Reduction
« on: November 21, 2011, 05:19:26 AM »
Ive noticed in a couple of posts that some members here are putting lead or other heavy objects into the buttstock of their handi's to help bring up the rifle weight and reduce recoil.

What techniques and/or devices are you using?

Are you just pouring lead shot into the bolt channel in the stock? or are you finding blocks of lead somewhere and using them? or using some aftermarket product you can buy that is pre-fab that works? or what?

Offline keith44

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: Handi Recoil Reduction
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 05:38:36 AM »
I added weight to the stock of my synthetic/nickel Handi chambered for .22 K-Hornet, not to reduce recoil but to improve the balance, and make it easier to hold steady on a target.  I found a heavy bag and just used shot to get it to balance like I wanted, then sealed the bag and just left it crammed into the hollow part of the stock.  I doubt it would be effective to reduce recoil.

keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Offline TNBilly

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 05:39:11 AM »
Lead shot is probably the easiest - a lot of times a piece of steel or stainless bar stock the correct size is used.  Most of the time I think it's done more so to correct the balance of the rifle more than recoil reduction though that is a minor benefit.  If recoil reduction is what you're after than a better recoil pad or using something like a "Past" shoulder pad for target shooting is the way to go.

Are you just pouring lead shot into the bolt channel in the stock? or are you finding blocks of lead somewhere and using them? or using some aftermarket product you can buy that is pre-fab that works? or what?

America is great because she is good, and if America ever ceases to be good, America will cease to be great.”        Alexis de Tocqueville

Offline thejanitor

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (59)
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2011, 06:15:24 AM »
If you add lead shot make sure you put it in some type of bag or a sock or something, when the shot gets lodged in along the stock bolt head you can't get a socket on to remove the stock after you pour the lead back out.... I know this too well.
What we did to fix it and make it very easy to do a quick change was found a conduit the size that just slid into the stock bolt hole, cut it to length to fit inside the recoil pad. Stood it up on an old brick and poured lead into fill the tube. After it all cooled put some silicone on the ends so if it slides at all in the stock it doesn't beat the lead into a powder or what not. now it is very quick and easy to change any time you swap barrels. And if you fill the tube 1/2 way with lead you can turn the pipe end for end to help with the balance of the gun when you change barrels.
Just what I have found.  thejanitor

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2011, 11:08:59 AM »
Just a slip on Limbsaver for range duty.  No pad for hunting atm.  ;)
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline BKS

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2011, 12:57:45 PM »
There are mercury recoil reducers made for S&W Ibolts on Ebay for 15.00, Been thinking of trying one but haven't gotten around to it,   

Offline mdwest

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2011, 01:37:08 PM »
For $15 that might be a perfect solution.. looks slim and farily compact.. and weighs almost a full pound!

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2011, 09:38:36 AM »
Maybe just me......, I tried lead and it threw the balance of my gun off (too buttheavy) and the 'felt recoil reduction' wasnt much, so I removed it and used a recoil pad equiped stock with an extra slip on recoil pad over that. Then I started learning how to hold a heavy kicker and stay loose rather than tensing up and roll with the recoil. That made the biggest difference and I was able to take the slip on pad off. I would still use it for benching in, but I dont recommend benching heavy kickers anyway.
BTW, my experience was with a gun in the 40+ ft. lb.s  of recoil class.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline revbc

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (94)
    • NewLife Worship Center
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2011, 10:17:29 AM »
http://mpcsports.com/stockmodel78x516oz.aspx

Mercury recoil suppressor.  Works ok to take the beast out of a 45/70 with hot loads.

Bobby
Pastor, NewLife Worship Center
(Retired) Automotive Technology Instructor, West Feliciana High School
Avid Shooter, Hunter, Fisherman and owner of Handi Rifles

Offline mdwest

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2011, 10:20:02 AM »
Im not concerned about the actual recoil so much as just wondering how and why people are using the "lead" solution , and how its working out for them... and thought I might try it out..

Ive been shooting a 6.5lb .300 Win Mag "Mountain Rifle" for about 20 years now.. and have been playing with a couple of different 7mm Mags for the past 5 or 6 years.. recoil management isnt really something I think or worry about...

more just something I am interested in..

(of course I havent stepped up to the world of .338's .375's, etc.. yet.. maybe after I make that leap Ill be more concerned rather than interested/curious  :o )

Offline mdwest

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2011, 10:24:55 AM »
http://mpcsports.com/stockmodel78x516oz.aspx

Mercury recoil suppressor.  Works ok to take the beast out of a 45/70 with hot loads.

Bobby

that looks a whole lot like the S&W mercury suppressor that BKS mentioned earlier.. I wonder if there is much difference in the design or in the way it works..

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2011, 10:29:25 AM »
See Mercury Recoil Suppressor in the FAQs, been discussed before, MPC has gone up a little since I bought mine, and they had free shipping then IIRC.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline rugerfan.64

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2011, 03:15:25 PM »
To me its not the amount of recoil (Heavy 444),but the direction it goes. My rifle seems to kick up into my cheek bones more than anything else. Thats why I dislike T/C rifles and those odd ball stocks on them. My brothers love em and one has replaced that odd ball lookin stock that came on his Encore with a thumbhole stock and helped it alot. I beleive one would help my 444 alot too. Will probably go that route this spring. Maybe? It shoots so good tho I hate to mess with it.

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (268)
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2011, 03:45:21 PM »
I like to melt and add pure gold to the buttstock.  :D  It helps with the resale value too. ;D ;)  Some of you may have seen some of my rifles for sale on GB and a few other sites. I was asking $800 for a standard SB1 .357 Mag Handi rifle. ::)  My screen name there is Mary N Red Profinio.  ;)

Thanks, Dinny
Handi Family: 357 Max, 45 LC, 45-70, 300 BLK, 50 cal Huntsman, and 348 Win.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day that my child may have peace"
Thomas Paine

Offline ratdog

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2011, 11:56:31 PM »
i just put a cabelas lace on recoil pad on my bc. problem solved no more bruises.it's fun to shoot now.

Offline ratdog

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2011, 11:58:57 PM »
how much gold did you pore in to it i might be interested. ;D

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2011, 06:11:03 AM »
My screen name there is Mary N Red Profinio.

THAT has become a froum legend!   :D

On-topic bit:  I poured a stock hole size tube of lead for my 45-120.  It works fine but I"m going to try one of the recoil reducers for my 500 S&W.
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline Zeak

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2011, 12:20:09 PM »
I have a 450 Marlin, went to change the stock on it, and it had a round bar stock allready in the stock. It came that way from the factory. It was held in place with a small screw behind it to keep it from moving. It looks like a chunk of barrel that wasn't bored. Has anyone else found this in thier stocks?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2011, 12:26:52 PM »
I have a 450 Marlin, went to change the stock on it, and it had a round bar stock allready in the stock. It came that way from the factory. It was held in place with a small screw behind it to keep it from moving. It looks like a chunk of barrel that wasn't bored. Has anyone else found this in thier stocks?
Yup, see PARDNER SHOTGUN STOCK WEIGHT in the FAQs.

Tim

Offline mdwest

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2011, 03:01:00 AM »
There are mercury recoil reducers made for S&W Ibolts on Ebay for 15.00, Been thinking of trying one but haven't gotten around to it,

Just picked one of those up.. for $15.50 I figure I would try it out on the shorty .45-70 and see what I think about it..

if anyone else is interested there is a guy on ebay selling them for $17.50 (has about 100 of them in stock), but he is accepting "best offers".. I offered $15.50 (what I saw a handful of them go for last week) and he accepted right away..

Its possible they can be had even cheaper if you make a lower offer..

Offline John R.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2011, 04:40:19 AM »
I put 2 mercury recoil reducers in the stock and a Limbsaver grind to fit recoil pad on my 500, it helped a lot.

Offline mdwest

• Contributor
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2011, 05:02:34 AM »
Thought I would provide an update..

I recieved the S&W iBolt recoil reucer in the mail yesterday.. it looks like its an excellent buy for anyone interested in a mercury recoil reducer.. it is available for about 1/2 the price of other brand mercury reducers, and appears to be of excellent quality and construction..

more importantly.. it was litterally a perfect fit in the handi buttstock.. just snug enough to slide down the bolt channel without any additional room to move up and down or side to side, but not so snug that I had to force it or open up the hole any..

Its right at 15 oz... and made a significant difference in the "heft" of my new (to me) shorty .45-70.. but didnt throw the balance off or make the gun feel awkward.. if anything, I thought the .45-70 was a little bit too nose heavy prior to installing the ibolt reducer.. this helped to bring the balance point back towards the middle of the gun.. it now balances almost perfectly right on the trigger guard..

havent tried it out yet.. but am planning on taking the rifle to the range some time next week.. will let you guys know if I feel any real difference while shooting it from the rest or not once I get back..

Truth be told, Ill probably remove it after Ive pushed a couple of dozen bullets down range.. I dont want to be carrying any extra weight in the field if I dont have to.. and the .45-70 isnt really any more punishing than most of my other guns (a bit less punishing than a few of them..) but I figured for $15.50 it was cheap enough to experiment and see how it works..

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2011, 07:25:02 AM »
where did you get it?
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline mdwest

• Contributor
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2011, 08:40:41 AM »
I found this guy selling them new on ebay..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/370505793116?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

he is asking $17.50 for them.. but I noticed where he had sold them previously for $15.50.. so I made him a $15.50 offer and he accepted it..

shipped it the same day I paid for it.. was new in the box just as he described, etc..

it looks like he still has several of them in stock..

Offline mdwest

• Contributor
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2011, 04:58:46 AM »
HOLY SMOKES!!!! I am GLAD I bought the S&W recoil reducer afterall..

Went to the range on Monday to finally sight in my shorty .45-70 that I just put together about a month ago... between rain and bad weather, work, etc.. I just havent had a chance until now..

I expected it to be a thumper.. without the recoil reducer the rifle only weighs 6.8 pounds.. but I figured Im only shooting trapdoor loads through it.. and Im used to 180grain loads out of a .300 win mag that only weighs 7lbs.. It will be fun to shoot...

WOW!

even with the recoil reducer installed and the rifle weighing in at 7.8lbs.. it was knocking the snot out of me (not painful.. but a seriously heavy duty push to the rear)... I was as thankful for the scope with 5" of eye relief as I was the recoil reducer..

I have re-named this little rifle after my ex-wife... it is now officially dubbed "The Beast"  ;D

taking her to the woods this weekend... hopefully will get a couple of hogs out of her....

Offline kevinsmith5

• Trade Count: (4)
Handi Recoil Reduction
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2011, 05:37:00 AM »
You sure those are trapdoor loads? My 22" 45-70 feels like a .410 with 300 grain Trapdoor loads.
If he's carrying a singleshot, don't expect a warning shot!

Offline mdwest

• Contributor
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2011, 05:46:50 AM »
You sure those are trapdoor loads? My 22" 45-70 feels like a .410 with 300 grain Trapdoor loads.

Winchester factory ammo... supreme elite dual bonded jacketed hollow points 375 grain.. marked on the box "for use in any .45-70 chambered firearm"....

pushes a 375 grain bullet at 1500 FPS.. (pretty big and slow)..

Offline keith44

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2011, 05:59:14 AM »
The most vicious kicking 45-70 load I ever tried was 63 grains of 2F Goex BlackPowder and a 300 grain cast bullet lit off by a large pistol primer
keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Offline BKS

• Contributor
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2011, 11:10:27 AM »
I was gonna ask if you had tried it out yet and how that recoil reducer worked.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2011, 11:23:23 AM »
I was gonna ask if you had tried it out yet and how that recoil reducer worked.

He already posted a report yesterday.  ;)

Tim

HOLY SMOKES!!!! I am GLAD I bought the S&W recoil reducer afterall..

Went to the range on Monday to finally sight in my shorty .45-70 that I just put together about a month ago... between rain and bad weather, work, etc.. I just havent had a chance until now..

I expected it to be a thumper.. without the recoil reducer the rifle only weighs 6.8 pounds.. but I figured Im only shooting trapdoor loads through it.. and Im used to 180grain loads out of a .300 win mag that only weighs 7lbs.. It will be fun to shoot...

WOW!

even with the recoil reducer installed and the rifle weighing in at 7.8lbs.. it was knocking the snot out of me (not painful.. but a seriously heavy duty push to the rear)... I was as thankful for the scope with 5" of eye relief as I was the recoil reducer..

I have re-named this little rifle after my ex-wife... it is now officially dubbed "The Beast"  ;D

taking her to the woods this weekend... hopefully will get a couple of hogs out of her....