Author Topic: scope painting  (Read 1167 times)

Offline DANNY-L

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (63)
scope painting
« on: November 21, 2011, 06:48:01 AM »
Are there any special tricks I should know before attempting this. I will completely cover the adjustment ring and glass. This is a gloss leupold with some good scratches on it,I don't think it will but will ask does this effect the lifetime warranty.Thanks

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: scope painting
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 05:54:48 PM »
Unless you are 100% sure you will NEVER want to sell it or move it to another firearm I'd leave it as is. Dunno about others but I'd give nothing for one painted like you are talking about.

I don't know what Leupold's policy would be on such but I doubt it would affect warranty. Why not just leave it as it is?

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 04:28:55 AM »
I have the same dilemma with Leupy Var-x I 2x7 that I use on my AR. It's gloss and looks funny.  I suspect I'll just bite the bullet and get a matt finished rifleman. 
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline DANNY-L

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 05:34:18 AM »
The scope had been scratched up quite a bit by previous owner but no dents or dings. The glass is clear and I would have no intention of selling it,so I quess I'll just rough up the surface a bit then clean it with alcohol and get some flat black paint and just do it. To me haveing a scratched up scope shows you just don't give a dang.

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 07:36:41 AM »
I had my buddy duracote one. he did an 06 mossberg in desert cammo and a luepold vx1 2x7 at the same time. I ended up giving the rifle to my buddys daughter and kind of kick my sell in the ### for doing it as i sure would have snatched that scope off it before i gave it away if it wasnt brown!
blue lives matter

Offline Silvertp

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 09:11:09 AM »
I have treated lots of scopes with Cerakote and they turn out nicely, including several I have done in a camo.  Much better for hunting than the shiny or stainless finish. 

Use a green scotch bright to rough up the surface so that the paint/duracoat or what ever you use will adhere. 

Use compressed air to blow off any dust from scuffing the surface. 

Use rubber gloves to handle the scope after the scope is cleaned as you do not want the oils from your skin / hands on the clean / unpainted surface. 

If you have a variable scope you will probably want to tape over the magnification range (and any other portions of the scope such as serial number, manufacturer, etc) so that you will be able to see it after painting.

As you mentioned, very important to get the lens covered.  I use a thin foam next to the lens, then a round piece of wood that fits securely in the inside of the the ocular and objective lens such that the wood extends beyond the actual length of the scope.

I then use a wood clamp extended so that it contacts the wood on each end of the  scope. Lightly  snug the clamp so that you can hold the scope by the clamp when painting without touching the scope.  Your other option is to pain one side of the scope while holding the other.  After the pained side drys, paint the other side.

If you have any questions just flip me a PM.

Silvertp

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2011, 11:58:33 AM »
Funny thing is, we will hunt with a stainless rifle and complain about a scratched glossy scope tube.  Go figure.
Don't believe I would paint it.  With its lifetime guarantee, you can sell it for darn near what you have invested in it.

Offline DANNY-L

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2011, 01:13:49 PM »
I like that idea with the clamps,was wondering how to handle it.

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2011, 04:14:12 PM »
Ooooowwww Silvertip....now y'gut me think'n....dangerous.......

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline Silvertp

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2011, 08:23:42 AM »
Just pick your color and take your time on it. 

Those painted to camo match with a camo rifle are pretty much tied to that gun...unless of course you want to strip the paint and try another color.

Some of the Sniper Grey and military colors are darn cool looking on a variety of rifles.

Silvertp

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2011, 08:54:31 AM »
Happy to say that my daughter is a graduating art student.  She asked if I could build her a lime green AR with a scope.  I'm OK painting up the stock and handguards, but am kinda hesitant about painting the metal and scope.  I'll get a bit more serious this winter!

Offline Silvertp

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2011, 05:25:09 PM »
Bye Bye Black Rifle...bringing on the lime green.  Now that would be unique.

Painting the metal / scope is not that much more challenging,  just plug the chamber and muzzle and tape off places you do not want to paint.  Also best results come from complete disassembly and thorough cleaning of the parts.

The beauty of the AR is its made for easy dis-assembly / reassembly.  Lots of books and instruction on how they go together.

Make sure you get some pictures and share with us when get this project going.

Silvertp

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2011, 03:40:37 AM »
Thanks Silver!  I'm just tickled that I have at least 1 daughter that wants an AR all her own...even if it's lime green!!!