Author Topic: H&R .243 pops open after the shot  (Read 1261 times)

Offline Mja2770

• Trade Count: (0)
H&R .243 pops open after the shot
« on: November 21, 2011, 02:15:22 PM »
I bought my son a H&R .243 but everytime we shoot it the barrel pops open. Has anyone seen this and if so how can I fix it? I tried to search this topic but didnt find anything. Thanks in advance

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: H&R .243 pops open after the shot
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 02:18:42 PM »
Welcome! Start by reading Pop Open Medicine in the FAQs and Help sticky, spend some time reading all the other info here including the Handi Basics 101 sticky, you have lots to learn about Handis.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 02:29:08 PM »

I bought my son a H&R .243 but everytime we shoot it the barrel pops open. Has anyone seen this and if so how can I fix it? I tried to search this topic but didnt find anything. Thanks in advance
While your reading... grab the handi, and a screw driver. Now remove the forend, and the barrel and with some solvent and a rag, clean the barrel shelf and the latch under the action inside the receiver.
Generally its caused by oil on the latch and shelf. There is a off chance that its improperly fit. But more times then not its simply oil on the latch and shelf.

Happy reading, you will find the answers to questions you did not even know you had. ;)

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Mike38

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2011, 10:49:46 PM »

I had my Handi Rifle pop open for the first time this past spring. I’ve had it now for 13 years, so I guess I’m lucky? I asked about it here, and got two bits of advise. Keeping the latch and shelf dry of oils, and make sure you close it with a bit of authority. Don’t slam it shut, just make sure it’s shut.

I did notice something a couple weeks ago that may be my problem. While cocking the hammer, my thumb slipped off and I pushed down on the latch lever by accident. I stopped myself, and didn’t shoot it. I picked up the rifle from it’s rest, and sure enough, it opened. So from this point forward I have to remember to do three things. Keep latch and shelf dry. Close it with some authority. And don’t let your thumb slip while cocking the hammer.

Maybe your son is not closing it right? Or maybe he is letting his thumb slip off the hammer and pressing the latch accidentally?

Offline Jimbo47

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 01:23:03 AM »

I did notice something a couple weeks ago that may be my problem. While cocking the hammer, my thumb slipped off and I pushed down on the latch lever by accident. I stopped myself, and didn't shoot it. I picked up the rifle from it's rest, and sure enough, it opened. So from this point forward I have to remember to do three things. Keep latch and shelf dry. Close it with some authority. And don't let your thumb slip while cocking the hammer.

Maybe your son is not closing it right? Or maybe he is letting his thumb slip off the hammer and pressing the latch accidentally?

I've had this happen to me before but like you say, it popped open, but before I actually fired it, but it could pop open at the most inopportune moment.

Reminds me of when I loaned my elderly neighbor my 20 gauge Handi slug gun for a deer hunt, and while sighting it in he pushed the latch release twice while I'm trying to get the point across that it wasn't a safety. LOL!

He took a nice buck with it by the way!
My culled down Handi's are the 45-70, and then I have a few others to keep it company...357 Mag/Max. .45 LC/.454 Casull Carbine, .243 Ultra, and 20 gauge Tracker II.

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 09:27:56 AM »
A new one has to break in a bit too, but just 'closing it' without really snapping it closed (not beating on it, just doing it very intentionally) can result in pop opens. As said, make sure the latch and shelf are dry, close with some authority, and use it, it will likely get better.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline jeneks84k10

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2011, 12:29:02 PM »
My dad has a 22-250 that popped open all the time on him. Was before I found this site and the plentiful handi knowledge so I couldnt help him. He sent it in twice over about a years time to have it fixed. The second time he got it back it was worse than it had ever been so he sent it back again a few weeks ago and they fitted a new barrel to it and no problems since.

Offline Mja2770

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2011, 02:11:43 PM »
Thanks for all the input. I broke it down today and cleaned it up real good. Headed back to the range tomorrow, hopefully it does not happen again. Now my next challenge is getting him used to it again. It really scared him when it opened on him.

Offline semperfi1970

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2011, 05:39:29 AM »
MJA2770, I hope for you that oil on the latch is all it is. In 2009 I had to send mine back to get it fitted properly. I use the term properly fitted to be funny as it looks like they beat it with a hammer and then hit it with a flat file to clean it up. I placed a piece of carbon film in the latch and it showes two tiny points of contact on one side and nothing on the other. I did ask for a new barrel and they told me that new production runs take priority over repairs and that they were short .243 flutted barrels, they did offer me a standard taper .243 barrel. A standard taper on my choate stocked handi just wouldent look rite not to mention it is a few inches shorter. To this day I have to stay on the light side of hand loads or it will pop open. If I were to shoot factory loaded Winchester 100 grain power points or Remington 100 grain corelock rounds it will pop open. Mind you I dont shoot 100 grains out of the handi as it doesnt stabalize them for poo. I have settled on 75 grain v-max pushed by 38 grains of 4064. My hand loads are well under the CUP pressure of the factory loads and it stays shut. I could send i back but by the time I fool with freight I will have spent more than I payed for the gun. Im not complaining about my experience as my little .243 Handi will put rounds were I tell her to every time with no fail. I just wish they would take a little better care and repair of what they have produced over potential sales, existing customers should come first not last.

Offline Usmcrip

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2011, 07:43:14 PM »
My .243 did the exact same thing when I first bought it, I tried everything to no avail,  until about the 300 round mark and it just stopped.  My advise if all else fails just shoot it and shoot it some more, as has previously been said sometimes they just need to wear in for a proper fit

Offline guzzijohn

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2011, 01:03:49 AM »
"My .243 did the exact same thing when I first bought it, I tried everything to no avail,  until about the 300 round mark and it just stopped.  My advise if all else fails just shoot it and shoot it some more, as has previously been said sometimes they just need to wear in for a proper fit"

Not good having to spend $300+ on ammo to make a $200 rifle to work correctly.
GuzziJohn

Offline gendoc

• SWAMP GROCERIES RULE !!!
  • Trade Count: (329)
  • TRUTH AND HUMOR, thatsa what i'm talk'n bout
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2011, 02:29:48 AM »
at tha end of tha gardner era, a rash of 308 survivors were releast with that problem in this area. most were send back for warranty, a few were fixed locally and tha others just were
returned to tha source.  this was not a oily latch or a jus needta shoot tha critter problem.

good luck !! i hope you getter shoot'n correctly ;D

sea-ya.....
in tha meen time, i'm wait'n for tha  7th trumpet ta sound !!!

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

hey boy, hit this mason jar one time...
burn ya lil'bit did'nt it. ya ever been snipe hunt'n ?  come on...

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2011, 01:09:05 AM »
So you have had lots of suggestions and a weeks time... is it working as it should for ya?

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.