Author Topic: Knight Wolverine and BH 209 powder?  (Read 960 times)

Offline indyeyedoc

• Trade Count: (0)
Knight Wolverine and BH 209 powder?
« on: November 22, 2011, 07:26:32 AM »
I have a Knight Wolverine with 22 in barrel.  I am wondering if I'm ok using BH209 powder in it?  I know not all guns can use it but is it an ignition issue or a safety issue?
Thanks

Offline tjbunion

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Knight Wolverine and BH 209 powder?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 05:40:02 PM »
Indyeyedoc,

I don't know if anyone else has helped you or not but I have some experience with BH209 in a knight rifle.  My brother has a LK93 .50 cal and we bought a conversion kit from Knight to change it from caps to shotgun (209) primers.  You need this because regular caps or musket caps are just not powerful enough to ignite BH209 consistently.  The conversion was easy and very successful.  You must use the newer type red plastic primer holders for the primers, and they seal the breech pretty well from blow back when fired.  the other thing we discovered was that power belt bullets and plain lead slugs did not have enough resistance to allow the powder to burn properly.  They gave a weak, hollow report and NO accuracy.  With sabot loads that were tighter in the bore the gun shot very consistently 2 to 3 inch groups at 100 yards.   I should mention that he has a 3 to 9 scope (NIKON) on his rifle.  The thing we really liked was that BH209 shot so clean that even after 10 shots the barrel was so clean that there was no problem loading without wiping the bore.  You must use full strength shotgun primers and NOT the weaker "black powder" primers sold for muzzle loader use.
Hope this helps.

Tim

Offline demented

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Knight Wolverine and BH 209 powder?
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 03:02:37 AM »
 I was told by Western Powder Company that plunger type rifles such as my 209 Wolverine we NOT safe using their BH-209.  They said that pressures? could cause the primer to be blown back into the shooter with enough force to be very dangerous.  Dunno myself, seems some people are using BH and having good luck with it in plunger type rifles.